Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feel quite disheartened (but trying to move on)
Hardheaded1 Wrote:I won't wish you luck, as education and degrees are really not about that. They are about work and results. Instead, I'll wish you success.

Whereas, I want to be encouraging, there is also the need to be encouraging for you to do the attainable. My older brother once told me in his 40's that he might go to school to become an engineer, and I almost sprayed coffee all over the kitchen. He has not shown any capacity to internalize complex concepts, ever, much less higher math. Can his life change in new ways and give him great opportunities? Yes, but that doesn't mean he can just wish it into being in defiance of every reality that stands in his way.

Of course you need to believe in yourself. You seem to have that, perhaps to a degree that is a detriment. Hold on to that bit, and we can return to what I mean.

You also are a bit cagey about your world. You give generalities, if anything at all, omitting your continent, country, discipline, and almost every single detail that could help anyone help you. Are you studying to become a dentist, an artist, an accountant, or a teacher? What country are you hoping to reach? What are some specific examples of your attempted courses and the mechanisms of your failure? Are you simply unable to understand the curriculum, unwilling to do the homework and reading, or some other contributor. I know lots of people with depression and/or anxiety, but they are usually able to read and study.

How are you able to afford to stay in school for the long term?

Are you enrolled as a full-time student? If so, are you taking the minimum or the reverse, the maximum?

And why are your professors deemed harsh? Is it harshness to lay out to a 24-year-old man that college studies must be considered realistically? Your statement that you are making D's or their equivalent suggests that you hanging your hopes on this degree would lead to you graduating with a degree that you will barely have earned, not exactly the recipe for success in the job market when competing with those who excel.

And why is the degree the only basis for your plan to get out? There are skills and jobs that do not require degrees that can lead to wealth, and wealth always brings opportunity, including travel. That said, I cannot even proffer those vocations, as you are completely cloaked even to your nationality, which is entirely relevant as anyone tries to help you with your options.

There are seven billion humans on this planet. I promise you that you can give us some pertinent context and factors without someone tracking you down from Gayspeak tomorrow and knocking on your door.

Help us help you. Keep that bag on your head, but fill in the bit about whether you are wearing a grass skirt or eating whale blubber. It's relevant.

Thanks for your reply Hardheaded1 Smile

Yup you are right. I should depend on my effort and hard work and not luck. Smile

I'm taking an engineering degree. I'm from Asia (Indonesia). Europe and North America are the continents I have in mind to move to.

Actually, I did quite fairly well in my first year. (Discrete Mathematics, Digital Systems, Electrical Circuits, Programming to name a few modules. I got a B/B+ for all of them. Not that bad right? Smile )

Its after the second year that the problem started. My anxiety accelerated to a severe level and that is when my studies were affected. Because I kept pondering why I got this anxiety and why its affecting me. And before I knew it, it affected my exam results.

My anxiety affected me in a way such that I felt afraid to mix with classmates or approach the lecturer. And because of that, I started to skip tutorial classes and lectures. And I never approached the lecturer to clear my doubts about my lessons. And I ended up failing my exams. Sad

But I do have passion for my studies. I always attend the lab sessions for the modules because they are the only classes that attendance is taken and I force myself to attend them. We will require to submit a lab report and my lecturer will always compliment my report saying that its every neat and detailed and I will get a B+ for the lab component. (But that is not enough to pass the module.)

My parents are paying for my semester fees. And yes I am a full time student.

Yea, I realized I am wrong that I said that the lecturers are harsh. They actually have been trying to tell me about the reality of the outside world. Sorry about that.

I always assumed that jobs overseas required a degree (maybe its a wrong assumption). That's why I decided degree was the only way to move to another country. (again it might be a wrong decision.)

I took some steps to overcome my anxiety during the vacation. I have been reading up and practicing mindfulness and cognitive strategies and I feel better now. Hopefully, I can attend my lectures and classes as per normal.

I am going to take one module (its compulsory) whereby I have to form a group with a few other students , do a presentation and present it in front of 100 students in the lecture hall. Thinking about it makes my stomach queasy and anxious. Hopefully, I can make it through that module too. (Just another rambling)

Thanks Hardheaded1 Smile

Rareboy Wrote:I once failed an engineering course in University...an essential course for my degree. This led me to effectively take a year away while working as a consultant in the field I was studying. Anxiety about this course and a horrible professor was probably the reason.

When I came back to do the course in the next year...after spending more time doing background reading and research....even with the same professor that I had previously struggled with...suddenly everything fell into place and I walked away with an 'A' grade. Sometimes you need to step back from the material or get a better grounding in the basics of the course you are taking. Sometimes you need to understand the professor's own bias in order to do well.

But I think you also need to reassess why you are getting a degree.

I get no sense that you are passionate about your field of study. It only seems to be a vehicle to getting a job and getting out.

Have you considered that perhaps you are in the wrong field of study? Perhaps your true vocation lies in a different field.

As well, I don't understand the part about not coping well with studies. Is it because you may have a reading comprehension problem? Or that you are trying to work in scientific or mathematical studies but lack the basic understanding of the concepts and principles? Each of these requires a different strategy. It may be that tutoring is in order. Or study groups.

Thanks for your reply Rareboy Smile

Thanks for sharing your life experience. I could relate to it. Its quite a motivation for me. Smile

I have a diploma on engineering. (did quite well and my project made it well in the final exhibition). And I took the degree in the same field. So no worries, I do have passion in this field. Smile

I agree that my studying methods have been wrong . All these while, I just take the textbook and kept reading and rereading. It worked when I studied for my diploma, but not anymore. I am looking for new studying methods. I saw this website last week. http://www.thebestcolleges.org/17-scient...this-year/

The strategies mentioned here seem useful and I'm using them for studying in the coming semester. Smile

Thanks Rareboy Smile

BlueStar Wrote:Anonymous... I guess I'm the only one here who can feel exactly what you're going through. Meanwhile, you're lucky I'm not in a bad mood either, haha!! (just kidding)

Yes, graduating at 28 isn't that young, but it's never too late for a new beginning. One important key to achieve success, in education as in career, demands pure focus all for itself. So first things first, you have to build a sturdy stubborn solid unbreakable wall between your studies and your anxiety problems. If you have trouble studying because you feel lonely, then you must not depend on exterior factors (conditions) or other students to help you. It will turn out well, because knowing to work on projects alone successfully is a win-win. If you have trouble because of other students/teachers behavior, ignore them by working with more serious people, those who won't waste your time or count on you for everything... then steal your job.

Another alternative, if you're not getting along at all with any of these people, or if you're having social problems with them, I recommend you to change your institution or study as an exchange student in another college. It may help you relieve your stress, getting to know new people, discover how to socialize with the right students who will accept your behavior if your behavior gets homophobic people suspicious. You don't have to come out to anyone if you haven't already. Changing college might help you overcome the awkward fact that your classmates will graduate 18 months before you do. It's vital to avoid as much humiliation as you can.

Though, believe me, I know how it feels like to be a prisoner for another years in a homophobic country. I live in one, spent an awful 17 years like a dead body... or a zombie. Freedom is beautiful, precious... Freedom is life itself. If you don't live freely, then you're not alive. But you only get your freedom after years of struggle. I'm not sitting back and complaining. My situation is somehow similar to yours, with few years of difference, and I'm counting on every single high grade I get to leave the horrible hell I'm going through every second, leaving my miserable life behind and beginning a real one, as a free man, in a respectful country.

Only YOU have the power to change your destiny, and for this you have to try every option at your disposal that might push you forward, and not backward. In any case, whenever you open your book or laptop to read/study, just remember the deal you've made with your close buddy. I assume he's gay too and willing to live a normal life like you both deserve.

Last but not least, if your anxiety is getting worse and causing really more trouble, I suggest you see a therapist. You may or may not want to reveal your sexuality, depending on whether your sexuality is part of the anxiety, or not.

Now go back to your studies. I wish you both success and luck, and a more relaxing journey through your struggle. Patience on 18 more months is hard, I know, but the righteous and deserving person will prevail.

Bighug

Thanks for your reply Bluestar Smile

I'll follow your advice and get fully focused on studies and not get distracted my other issues. I'll stop depending on other students for company and get comfortable studying alone.

I'll also consider about changing institution. There are some exchange programs offered in my school and I'll find out more about them when I go back to school.

Thanks for sharing about yourself. I really want to give you a great hug now because I understand what you are going through as well.

Yup, I'll remember the deal I have made and it does motivate me a lot. Smile

I'll consider finding a therapist around my place. Have to do some research about it to see which therapist has experience in such anxiety issues.

Thanks for your wishes Bluestar Bighug

meridannight Wrote:graduating at the age of 28 is not so unusual as it was a couple of decades ago. at least in the western world it has actually become some sort of a trend. a lot of young adults are still in college in their late 20s or even 30s. so this isn't anything to be concerned about.

you have to focus on improving your life, and if that means getting a degree you just have to get through it.

Thanks for your reply meridannight Smile

Your words are really comforting.
I'm going to stop worrying unnecessarily about my age for now.
I look forward to beginning my first day of class tomorrow and have full focus on excelling my studies and improving my life.

Thanks meridannight Smile

TwisttheLeaf Wrote:Performance anxiety when it comes to education is very common. Educators know this and should never be discouraging students who experience it from completing their education. This reaction to your anxiety is entirely their failure as an educator, not your failure as a student.

I wouldn't worry too much on the added time. It happens, and won't reflect badly on you in the future.

If your anxiety is very strong, you may want to consider looking into counseling to learn the coping tools needed to make this not such a big issue in your life (and in your grades).

Thanks for your reply TwisttheLeaf Smile

I really want to prove to my lecturers that I am able to graduate and I'm going to work hard for the coming semesters.

I'll consider counselling. There are some counselling services in my institution and I'll find out more about them.

Thanks TwisttheLeaf Smile

Rareboy Wrote:I should also point out that when I graduated, it was with 2 gold medals in my field. And I was 27. And I've been working in my field for 30 years. Press on regardless.

so press on regardless

Thanks for your kind words Rareboy Smile

Virge Wrote:Age and graduation?

I've never thought about my age as a bad thing in regards to my education. I'm 27 and graduate this May. In fact I've seen my age as a big asset. I've been way more mature and focused than most of my classmates for 4 years. I've also been more motivated to do well than most of them and that has made up for not being the smartest. You can be the smartest person on earth but if you are not motivated for success you will never achieve it.

And I don't agree with you when you say that your degree is your only hope for the freedom and life you want. In fact that's totally false. The freedom and life that you want depends on your conviction, determination. resourcefulness and flexibility more than any type university degree you can achieve. When I began school for my degree I had plans to go into a exciting career with much traveling. it took 18 months for that plan to begin to change. My relationship became more solid making all the traveling less appealing. I also began a small business venture for extra money that quickly overshadowed any career I could have with my degree. Now I am only finishing my education as a point of self esteem. I would not feel right if I quit before graduating even though staying in school this year prevents me from expanding my business and income as much as I could.

You would be surprised how many people there are who have degrees that have determined nothing abut their success. A law school graduate who is a restaurant owner and chef --- a man with a degree in agriculture who became an Air Force pilot and Colonel -- or me -- a geologist who owns a Bed & Breakfast for tourists.

Thanks for your reply Virge Smile

You are right about being motivated for success.

Thanks Virge Smile

About studying methods. Reading your text book is a good way to know alot of stuff, but it's often too in depth, not in depth enough or not relevant to the exam itself. I find solving old exams to be particularly effective when preparing for exams. Alternatively to reading the textbook, there's google and youtube. Youtube has alot of good videos on most subjects. If you're struggling to understand something, try finding a video explaining it. The graphics can be very helpful in understanding and remembering.

I've got 4 more exams here in january. Only done 2 of the 6 total and my brain is already slug.

Anonymous, your replies are relevant and helpful. My impression of you and your prospects is wholly changed.

As everyone has counselled, hang in there. You have what it takes, but must take the necessary steps to work around that anxiety.

When you get to America, whether to stay here or visiting from Europe, dinner is on me. Wink

Cuddly Wrote:About studying methods. Reading your text book is a good way to know alot of stuff, but it's often too in depth, not in depth enough or not relevant to the exam itself. I find solving old exams to be particularly effective when preparing for exams. Alternatively to reading the textbook, there's google and youtube. Youtube has alot of good videos on most subjects. If you're struggling to understand something, try finding a video explaining it. The graphics can be very helpful in understanding and remembering.

I've got 4 more exams here in january. Only done 2 of the 6 total and my brain is already slug.

Thanks for your reply Cuddly Smile

Thanks for sharing studying tips with you. I'll surely use them for studying.

All the best for your exams Cuddly. I hope to hear that you did well. Smile