Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feminism
I don’t think I know enough about this issue to say to much, I don’t want to come off as ignorant.

I can tell a little tale of the epic battles a had with my high school English Media teacher, will call her Ms.P. English media was the a class dedicated to the study of media and it’s effect of business, economy and culture and blah blah blah whatever. Most of are arguments where based around responsible advertising. I never had a problem with using sex to sell and still don’t.

Now media class was about an hour an twenty minutes an about once a week me and Ms.P would spend about 20 to 30 minutes of the class to just go at each other. I remember on several occasions during are arguments, calling Ms.P a crazy feminist. There was this other time she was giving a lecture on “Sex Neutrality” and I stood up an accused her of trying to and I quote “You are trying to brainwash everyone into becoming giant, giant pussies”. Which giving where I am now in life, I may have taking that one back.

I give a lot of credit to Ms.P because never kicked me out of her classroom or took any kind of disciplinary action, even thou I was always basically trying to discredit everything she was teaching.

One of the points I believe Cardigan pointed out was fairness and who determines what is fair. Who gets to decide what is fair and what is socially acceptable? These are questions everyone struggles with, and, not to put a point on it, but there is no need for masculinism, because the world has been traditionally male dominated. One could argue that studying history in the United States is really studying the White male's version of history. Look at the literary canon in the US. With the exception of Emily Dickinson and Toni Morrison, most authors are white males. It is a deeply entrenched idea in our culture, so much that one hardly thinks about it. Take for example homosexuality. At many points in history nobody really considered that gay people would want to marry because it was socially assumed that all men and women were heterosexual or would end up in such a relationship. Many cultures do not even have a word for homosexuality, such as ancient Greece. Feminism has been misunderstood as an anti-male movement but nothing could be farther from the truth.

Of course, it does have its flaws. There are different 'types' of feminisms, and a lot of theory and studies exist for reading. Just as with any sort of 'ism' there is a wide range on a spectrum.

By the way, I believe our threads are under seige by a very annoying and vulgar poster named TomTom and TooGay. I think they are perhaps the same person. We should probably do something about them.

I support liberal feminism full-heartedly.

Some writers, of a post-modern ilk, have taken feminist theory a bit farther than I reckon is reasonable.

OrphanPip Wrote:I support liberal feminism full-heartedly.

Some writers, of a post-modern ilk, have taken feminist theory a bit farther than I reckon is reasonable.

Oh yes. I'm definitely of the more liberal persuasion when it comes to feminist thought...and most other things :biggrin:
I agree. Some of the heavier theory is just that-theory. But I must say that I am a huge postmodern fan. Toni Morrison is an amazing writer in my book. I'm actually doing a senior thesis on Magical Realism and subversive politics in 1970's Chili. Feminism, political theory, international business theory, history, and literature. All the things I love.

hmm thats cool everyone its different andit seems to me that you like to learn more about women power niceSmile

Cardiganwearer Wrote:Sorry to hog the thread but I'm going to have to take up Marshlander's point about fairness.

Fairness is what the people with the power extend to the people without. It is discretionary and implies no rights. ...
Your definition of what is fair would appear to be different from mine, although I suspect our ideals are not far apart. I find the notion that fairness being only what those with power extend to the disenfranchised rather revolting. The powered elite rarely, if ever, give up anything willingly and if they are the sole arbiters of what is fair, fairness will never be achieved. Fairness is surely much more to do with equality of opportunity, rights and responsibilities and implies an ethical sustainability.