Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally came out to my best friend..
Can’t blame you for coming out with your friend via Facebook; it’s soooo frequent to hear stories about guys that got tragically rejected by their lifetime homophobe besties. You were so lucky to get a good reaction from him.

I’ve never have come out with a male straight friend, only with gals. I did it only when I perceived their reaction was going to be favorable and luckily I wasn’t mistaken. In some cases there was no change in the relationship, I mean, they weren’t particularly surprised or interested in getting the details about my gay life (hookups, dates, friends and so on); in others the fact I was now able to talk freely improved the communication a lot, since I didn’t have to keep making up stories about my whereabouts (example: if I went on date to make it look as if I met a girl, went with a relative or something) and some of them even were eager to know everything about sex and relationships between men (we even went to the sexshop to illustrate everything).

In short, in my limited experience every person is a world apart and while one friend can be supportive and take interest in knowing your real life experiences another would just treat you as if nothing special happened, or even ask you to refrain from revealing the sordid/juicy details of your relationships. I've noticed women are more open and supportive where I live.

Hope everything will work just fine for you and your bestie Big Grin Big Grin

Thanks guys! Your stories are incredibly encouraging Smile. I think everything will be fine. I just suffer from pretty bad anxiety, so this type of thing is hard as hell for me to deal with. I honestly think part of my anxiety stems from being in the closet. so I'm hoping once I get used to being out I can relax a bit and stop worrying about everything...

thawoods Wrote:Well, all I can say is, congrats! XD

Lol, thanks man.

Tyrion Wrote:Thanks guys! Your stories are incredibly encouraging Smile. I think everything will fine. I just suffer from pretty bad anxiety, so this type of thing is hard as hell for me to deal with. I honestly think part of my anxiety stems from being in the closet. so I'm hoping once I get used to being out I can relax a bit and stop worrying about everything...

Yeah, I know what that feels like, I suffer from pretty bad anxiety myself. However irrational it is, you fear the worst and doubt the best. But I honestly think you'll be ok here from what you've said Smile. Things definitely improve once you are out and you can fully be youself Smile

Well just a little update, since I'm kinda happy at the moment. My friend started messaging me a bit ago and is asking me all sorts of questions like "How did you know you were gay", when, etc. Then he told me he was super sad that I was afraid to tell him (he said he cried.. I was so not expecting that) but he understands. He wants to get together tomorrow and hang out. Clearly I was worrying for nothing...

Damn you anxiety! Smile

Sounds like things are going well and that is really great to hear.

If you guys were best friends before you are most likely going to stay that way. One of the things about close friendships is that you tend to be close even though you know each not to be perfect. You work with what you've got and things are not shallow. It sounds like that what you have going with your friend. Such friends are to be treasured for life.
I bid NO Trump!

I'm so excited for you! I know you must have been a nervous wreck, but it gets easier each time you tell someone. Took me years to find that out.

Well, another update.. I came out to all of my friends and didn't have a single problem. I've also never been closer to my best friend. Life is good! Smile

Congrats... and no need to worry. I came out to a close friend last year February and things are better than ever between us. Initially, I was skeptical about revealing it to him ( he's a hardcore christian) but things turned out so fine...he was accepting. Till date, he's the only person that knows. Smile

Things look fine between the both of you. I wouldn't worry if I were you Smile

Tyrion Wrote:Well, another update.. I came out to all of my friends and didn't have a single problem. I've also never been closer to my best friend. Life is good! Smile

Glad things are going well...happy for you Smile

I remember your story Tyrion. Happy for you that the responses for you have continued to be good ones Smile