Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally came out to my best friend..
So last night I finally came out to my best friend. I did it over a message on facebook (I know, lame..), and then the next day he asked me to call him. When I did he told me it was perfectly fine and he really couldn't care less.. other than it took me so long to tell him lol. I told him I still feel awkward about it and I don't want it to affect or change our friendship at all.. and he said it wouldn't. Still, I have a lot of self doubt and worry that it will some how change our friendship.

Have any of you gone through something similar? Did it affect your friendship negatively or was it the same after?

I honestly think, given his personality and how close we are as friends it wont.. but I still worry..

When I came out to my best friend I also declared my love for him and that didn't go nicely as he was entirely straight. And we didn't talk for a long time until a mutul friend told me he was really hurt that our friendship fell through over everything. So one day I called him up and we both agreed to work on it. Its took us a yearish. For me to accept I fucked up in never telling him and for him to understand my coming out to him. Now I'm his best friend again. It takes 2 to tango. If. Work with him and you'll see how easily you guys will fall right back into place. Just continue being yourself. Your true self. Not the best friend who hides secrets. Tell him everything about everything ��

When I came out everything stayed the same. There are just more gay jokes thrown around now. Couldn't be happier with my friends.

Radbot42 Wrote:When I came out everything stayed the same. There are just more gay jokes thrown around now. Couldn't be happier with my friends.

Haha, well that's funny.. we already do a lot of "gay jokes"... so after we were done talking about it he was like "We still get to make gay jokes right, because that's all I really have.." lol. I honestly think I'm likely worrying for nothing.. but still the idea of changing someones view of you in basically an instance is a little frightening.

I think part of my worrying comes from a post I saw on another forum. Someone said that a gay guy can't be best friends with a straight guy... it just doesn't happen.. and most people either agreed or claimed that they had never seen it happen....

Tyrion Wrote:Haha, well that's funny.. we already do a lot of "gay jokes"... so after we were done talking about it he was like "We still get to make gay jokes right, because that's all I really have.." lol. I honestly think I'm likely worrying for nothing.. but still the idea of changing someones view of you in basically an instance is a little frightening.

I think part of my worrying comes from a post I saw on another forum. Someone said that a gay guy can't be best friends with a straight guy... it just doesn't happen.. and most people either agreed or claimed that they had never seen it happen....

Lol it happens all the time.I'm pretty much the only gay guy I know besides my exes and one of my friends. My most recent ex's bestie is a straight guy too. it's impossible for it not to happen since there are more straight guys than gay so uh yeah it happens.

1) Congrats Smile

2) Yes you're worrying over nothing. He seems pretty good, so relax and everything will go as usual.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

Well, all I can say is, congrats! XD

Rod Wrote:When I came out to my best friend I also declared my love for him and that didn't go nicely as he was entirely straight.

That was too much for your BFF to handle..
Coming out is one thing. . But confessing your undying love for him would have some serious consequences considering he is Straight....

A gay guy confessing his love to his straight best friend is like you showing up to his house with a brand new Lamborghini as a gift. . Then sticking him with the $3500 monthly payments...'Very tough to handle.' .

Tyrion Wrote:Haha, well that's funny.. we already do a lot of "gay jokes"... so after we were done talking about it he was like "We still get to make gay jokes right, because that's all I really have.." lol. I honestly think I'm likely worrying for nothing.. but still the idea of changing someones view of you in basically an instance is a little frightening.

I have about the same amount of male friends as I do female friends. The majority of my male friends are straight. Gay jokes get thrown around between me and my male friends, just like I joke about them being "breeders" lol. It's all harmless fun. But yeah, what you read on that other forum isn't true. I think you are worrying about nothing Smile. If he had a problem with it, you would've picked up that vibe from him by now.

No-one had a clue I was gay before I told them. I still have all the friends I had before I told them, in fact we are probably closer now (even to my straight male friends), because I am no longer having to hide away and I can be myself. It sounds like you can be yourself around your best friend too Smile

Radbot42 Wrote:When I came out everything stayed the same. There are just more gay jokes thrown around now. Couldn't be happier with my friends.

Couldn't agree more on the second part. Tongue

So far coming out to my straight friends has been making me worried more than how it actually turned out. Only a friend actually distanced from me,which I guess wasn't really a friend to begin with.

A straight male friend that I came out to recently,like last 2 months,couldn't care less about it. And I thought he was homophobic from some of his remarks before. Things stayed the same,and our plan to find a place together is still going on (for when I finally get myself a job in KL), and now I don't even have to hide from him if I ever bring a guy back home. Score~ Big Grin