Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finding Spirituality
I was raised as a religious person, I still think of myself kind of that way, I do beleive in Christianity, but I don't espouse the traditional interpretations of it. I don't go to church, mainly most of the people I have known who are churgoers are hypocrites. I do absolutely beleive in God, or a higher power, or however you want to say it. I don't think that any human has the right understanding of who or what that is.

I think, that the same mystery that confounds our trying to identify who or what is out there is the mystery that we are supposed to have. I don't think we're ever supposed to know for sure, I think we are supposed to have that mystery to enable faith.

There are times when I feel guilty for thinking this way, probably my upbringing, but I keep coming back to the idea that if we are all God's, (or whatever name you wish to substitute), children then we are supposed to make mistakes, find our own way, and come to the right answer on our own.

Richard

There is no absolute truth.

Human beings are not carbon copies of one another, each is unique and has its own personal set of experiences and perceives the world from its own, unique stand point.

God knows that humans comes in many shapes, forms, colors, traditions and stems from billions of unique paths. It is the way God intended things.

Thus your set of 'truths' are going to be yours and yours alone. Yes you may share a lot of commonalities with other humans, and even favor one view point over another when it comes to some things, but ultimately the sum of these parts are unique and only yours.

All religions are true. All of them. Granted no one religion is true to all individuals, but all faiths, all beliefs apply to the individual(s) who embrace them.

Like the old saw of all roads lead to Rome, all religions lead to God. People hate to accept that because religion has been in the hands of imperfect humans who seek to make themselves perfect and want to be the 'best' at everything... so a lot of 'I'm better than you' has seeped into religion and nearly every religions tries to convince itself that its the only 'truth' out there. But they are wrong.

Thus all religions are false... as well.

None applies to all. Its like saying we all speak the same language, or hold the same traditional customs as true, or all wear the same outfit, or have the same hair style...

Finding your path is your own personal experience. The relationship you have with God (or what ever you call that entity) is your own personal relationship and you will have your own unique understanding of that Entity.

No one knows for certain and no one really reaches the point where they are 100% certain. Yes I know many claim that they have that. I can claim I have a million dollars in gold sitting before me - just because I say it doesn't mean it is so.

Its spiritual growth and like all other growth in a person's life it is a continual process that starts at birth and only ends with death.... And then we can argue that it continues after we have shuffled off this mortal coil.

I don't believe there's any form of absolute truth to be attained by us humans. I don't mind people pursuing spiritual experiences but in the end they're bound to be purely subjective with lots of possibilities for misinterpretations and false assumptions.

Also, Bowyn, you're assuming there's such a thing as a divine entity which is far from certain. This may just be the cynic in me speaking but I just can't see any value in a form of spiritual belief that works on a subjective plane but that crumbles at the introduction of logic and examinations. I'd be very interested in truth, but not a truth that's supposed to be defined as true because I myself believe in it. After all, you can't turn a lie into truth by mere belief.

sdflkasjdflkjfds I was going to say it but Bowyn beat me too it.

But Solemn this is a conversation about spirituality in itself and finding it, not really debating whether there is a divine entity or not. I'm actually more likely to believe that the universe we live in is not just a current state of being but that we're more than just this. A lot of what we see today is an illusion, colors are not what they really are, but the reflection of the light expose them as such when they are reflected in our eyes. Words and symbols are created and interpreted by us, but all of that is only true if you make it be, in other cultures those words and symbols mean something completely different and ring true to them but not you.

In other words, there are many truths. There is no absolute truth. Science has also found things that were once known as "true" to be not so true, or completely false. Even as Science develops there will still be things that we believe is absolutely true today that tomorrow will be seen as untrue. There is no absolute truth, but there are many truths. Your truth is what you make it. If you choose to believe that there is a God and that you serve that God, then that is your truth. Just as someone who'd do the complete opposite.

Juniorlove Wrote:sdflkasjdflkjfds I was going to say it but Bowyn beat me too it.

But Solemn this is a conversation about spirituality in itself and finding it, not really debating whether there is a divine entity or not. I'm actually more likely to believe that the universe we live in is not just a current state of being but that we're more than just this. A lot of what we see today is an illusion, colors are not what they really are, but the reflection of the light expose them as such when they are reflected in our eyes. Words and symbols are created and interpreted by us, but all of that is only true if you make it be, in other cultures those words and symbols mean something completely different and ring true to them but not you.

In other words, there are many truths. There is no absolute truth. Science has also found things that were once known as "true" to be not so true, or completely false. Even as Science develops there will still be things that we believe is absolutely true today that tomorrow will be seen as untrue. There is no absolute truth, but there are many truths. Your truth is what you make it. If you choose to believe that there is a God and that you serve that God, then that is your truth. Just as someone who'd do the complete opposite.

I can definitely see where you're coming from but whether you believe in a traditional or non-traditional God or whether it's possible or impossible for humans to discover, prove and comprehend this entity, there is still going to be an answer. Either there is a God, not necessarily following the characteristics we expected, but nonetheless some form of benevolent force responsible for our existence, or there isn't.

Naturally, as there is no proof nor disproof as of now humans are divided into a "no" or a "yes". These are indeed our personal truths (save for the undecided) but that in itself doesn't really have a higher value; it's merely speculation. "My" truth is most certainly what I make it but no amount of subjective truths can hold anything against objective truth which most certainly exists. You can live your life in accordance to your beliefs but in the end they're going to be either correct or wrong. This was just what I was trying to say.
I'd say that subjective spiritual truths are worthless in the big picture, but yeah, individually they can create as much satisfaction or comfort as the believer sees fit.

Juniorlove Wrote:In other words, there are many truths. There is no absolute truth. Science has also found things that were once known as "true" to be not so true, or completely false. Even as Science develops there will still be things that we believe is absolutely true today that tomorrow will be seen as untrue. There is no absolute truth, but there are many truths. Your truth is what you make it. If you choose to believe that there is a God and that you serve that God, then that is your truth. Just as someone who'd do the complete opposite.

SCIENCE!

We should probably embrace that shit to the fullest u.u
But the way money works they wouldn't want it to.

Also I think that you guys have gotten me all wrong about the truth stuff.

all that people speak should be truth. Not lies. Or not false. The truth will set you free. I've made a concouse effort to not lie. It's made me happier tho some people don't like it. specially my mum lol

Absolute truth is a fantasy.

As far as it being a widespread religion type thing.

You have to examine what absolute truth IS.
Is it absolute fact? Is it the belief that something COULD possibly exist?
Is what I say absolute truth, or what HE says is absolute truth?

You have to define the parameters of what absolute truth is, otherwise you will have a war on your hands.
Because MY absolute truth is definately not going to be the same as the person standing next to me.

people can speak truth. people can speak truth. people can speak truth. people can speak truth. people can speak truth. people can speak truth. people can speak truth. people can speak truth. people can speak truth. people can speak truth. people can speak truth. people can speak truth. people can speak truth. people can speak truth. people can speak truth. people can speak truth. people can speak truth. people can speak truth. people can speak truth. people can speak truth. people can speak truth. people can speak truth. people can speak truth. people can speak truth. people can speak truth.

Kiid Wrote:SCIENCE!

We should probably embrace that shit to the fullest u.u
But the way money works they wouldn't want it to.

Also I think that you guys have gotten me all wrong about the truth stuff.

all that people speak should be truth. Not lies. Or not false. The truth will set you free. I've made a concouse effort to not lie. It's made me happier tho some people don't like it. specially my mum lol

I like people who are determined never to lie! However there are some cases where it's sort of necessary.

No lies! No lies! No lies! No lies! No lies! No lies! No lies!