Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finding a Job
deephiance Wrote:I didn't realise we were working on 'impressions'...I thought we were asked to 'discuss' job seeking????

I'm saying that when someone says they're frustrated that they cant find a job, that doesn't mean the solution is to work at mcdonalds.

Emiliano Wrote:I'm saying that when someone says they're frustrated that they cant find a job, that doesn't mean the solution is to work at mcdonalds.

So essentially you are changing the topic of this discussion rather than contributing anything useful to it????

I dont think im being off topic here. I'd love to be able to say or do something that would help his situation out, get him a job and all that, but im not of the belief that the problem is that hes setting his sights too high.

Confuzzled seems to not be in a position where he is so desperate for a pay check that he should apply for anything he can find just to be getting an income. So thats not advice I'd give him.

And, as someone who has been a part of the hiring process, I also don't think that having a lot of irrelevant work experience gives a person much of a leg up over the competition. Volunteering in the related field is good advice - volunteering is a good thing for people who have the time and who are feeling down in general.

Maybe I seem off topic and useless because I couldn't offer him a solution to his problem. But I did try to offer him some understanding, some empathy, at least.

Sooner or later you just have to beat the streets. All that apply by computer stuff is ineffective.

Your state has an Employment Office af some kind. Go and pester the hell out of them. They will have listings and probably advice on resume writing, which I could never understand.

If you are working on a doctorate there must be some career services though your school.

And don't forget: Tracking down a job is a pain in the ass for everybody.
I bid NO Trump!

I've applied to internships, the issue I've had is many of them want the applicant to still be in school. Many of the entry level jobs want 2 years experience. I'm not saying give me a solution either as I know there are thousands in the same position. Also I work in a supermarket right now at 12.50/hr, and it has absolutely no impact on me getting a job in any field I'm interested in. I really haven't explored volunteer options, though I met with a career counselor and it was something that came up.

Emiliano Wrote:I dont think im being off topic here. I'd love to be able to say or do something that would help his situation out, get him a job and all that, but im not of the belief that the problem is that hes setting his sights too high.

Confuzzled seems to not be in a position where he is so desperate for a pay check that he should apply for anything he can find just to be getting an income. So thats not advice I'd give him.

And, as someone who has been a part of the hiring process, I also don't think that having a lot of irrelevant work experience gives a person much of a leg up over the competition. Volunteering in the related field is good advice - volunteering is a good thing for people who have the time and who are feeling down in general.

Maybe I seem off topic and useless because I couldn't offer him a solution to his problem. But I did try to offer him some understanding, some empathy, at least.

So your solution to not having anything to contribute is to critique what other people have discussed and then imply you are the one here that has empathy?

BUT as I said, the OP wasn't looking for advice or a solution, he asked for discussion on looking for a job, so to come in here and critique other people for discussing their opinion and then in a back handed manner suggest the others that replied lack empathy is a little bit rude.

I was just writing out yet another explanation of what I wrote and why I did... but then it hit me - I don't owe you shit.

Confuzzled is one of the few people here that I talk to off of the forums. Hes a nice guy and I feel for him. I wrote what I did for him, not for you. You came at me with attitude just because what I said went against the advice you offered. I wasn't rude or backhanded or anything to you.

The way I see it, the only thing off topic and rude in this thread is you feeling like you got the right to police what I say.

Emiliano Wrote:I was just writing out yet another explanation of what I wrote and why I did... but then it hit me - I don't owe you shit.

Confuzzled is one of the few people here that I talk to off of the forums. Hes a nice guy and I feel for him. I wrote what I did for him, not for you. You came at me with attitude just because what I said went against the advice you offered. I wasn't rude or backhanded or anything to you.

The way I see it, the only thing off topic and rude in this thread is you feeling like you got the right to police what I say.

and that pleases me enormously. Thank you Wink

Have you tried to apply to bad jobs in good companies? (I'm sorry about making a judgement about jobs).
That's what I've experienced and it worked. I applied as a call center custumer representative in a leading company in Turkey. They actually invited me for an interview, but I couldnt attend it because of personal reasons.

and good company offerring a low position almost nearly pays the amount of a bad company offering a high position.

If you dont mind me asking Sir, what is it that you do for a living? You are much older than the guy that posted this and entry level job prospects were different in what the 1980's?