Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finding a Job
princealbertofb Wrote:You're all about tough love, [MENTION=24118]deephiance[/MENTION], aren't you ? Wink

I don't know what tough love is, but i don't mix my words and I call it as I see it, but if that is what tough love is, then yes Wink

deephiance Wrote:I don't know what tough love is, but i don't mix my words and I call it as I see it, but if that is what tough love is, then yes Wink
Tough love is ok, it generally comes from a good intention but it's telling people the shit they don't necessarily want to hear... Here I think @confuzzled was looking for commiseration rather than tough love, as stated in his original post. So I think we need to see that you are both right, but also 'undiplomatically' tough with what you suggest, which is probably valid as a general rule. I think @confuzzled needs a bit more of the soft touch, maybe, but I'm sure he can take a hint at how one would need to 'man up', if that's what you were trying to indicate. People just need to remember that you Aussies can speak quite plainly (and / or abruptly), as I said, differences in sensitivities. You're not a bad person, [MENTION=24118]deephiance[/MENTION].

I don't know about soft touch, more inexperienced... (between you and me [MENTION=1766]princealbertofb[/MENTION] I hate the term 'man up' Wink )

I know I am not a bad person Wink but thanks

I am the last person to judge and the first person to offer my thoughts...problem with offering your thoughts is people take it as 'advice' or some sort of attack on who they are and often go on the defensive.

But at the end of the day, I don't have to take anyone on the website home with me, so very little matters Smile

I hope that what I said earlier did not cause offence. It's always gonna be tough in the job market, and life direction in general.

You sound like you're putting in a lot of work already, so if I have misconstrued your original post, sorry for the misunderstanding.

You'll get there, it may not even be where you expected, but things will come good in the end. :-)

Thanks for the feedback. The main positive is I don't have to find a job tomorrow, though it would certainly be appreciated. I'm doing as much as I can to find something, and with my meeting last week I think I have more things I can do. It's not like it was 30/40 years ago when you could go straight from high school into the job market, but the older generation is pretty ignorant of this.

actually the younger generation are pretty ignorant of the fact that unemployment was the highest in the 80's and it was even more difficult to get a start.

And blissfully unaware that mortgage interest rates were at 18-20%.

I pretty much agree with that, unless your job market is fast food and jobs that pay less than $10 an hour... Things will turn up. If you've got those kind of credentials I would think you would be considered... Although I have heard of people being over qualified. Of course no idea what field you're in and so on...

Anyway, hope none of my comments were offensive. I was speaking on my experience getting into the field I'm in and I definitely agree you generally speaking can't go right out of high school and get a job in the field of your choosing... It probably works for some and it kind of did for me because when I started IT I did not have a degree or a certification but hey, sometimes you get lucky.

I don't know what kind of experience you have in your field so I don't know if volunteer work would work, it certainly wouldn't be a bad thing as it is something you can put on your resume and a good way to network with people who might know of positions and so on. For instance, often when IT positions become available in the state they advertise within and you can pretty well bet that someone currently working within the state and in a related position with have preference over John Doe.

One of the guys I worked with at the computer shop I used to work at wound up getting a job with the US Forest Service doing IT work and there was another position open. He told me to apply for it and I did but because I was not in the military I never got a call...anyone who was in the military was put to the front...which is fine but just goes to show the ways that you can be excluded from getting a job you're more than qualified for.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Emiliano Wrote:I never really got the impression that Confuzzled is some kind of entitled princess who is looking to be a CEO right away.

edit: Ah I did a multi-quote earlier and I suppose it remembered. Anyway... No my comments weren't to come off as that he was entitled to a job paying $150k or whatever...although sounds like his education should rank him up there. Not sure what field he is in either...anyway. Just to clarify that my comments weren't me saying go settle flipping burgers...

deephiance Wrote:actually the younger generation are pretty ignorant of the fact that unemployment was the highest in the 80's and it was even more difficult to get a start.

And blissfully unaware that mortgage interest rates were at 18-20%.

Sucked trying to get a loan, but if you had money in the bank like a CD you...well...made bank lol

Anyway I think the difference here is that he is career seeking and not unemployed and not unwilling to settle for something to keep a roof over his head... It would be kind of like me applying for another job to either find something more satisfying or one that pays more and not having any luck... Of course in my case everyone would tell me I need to go back to school but that may not be entirely true. Only thing I can say is that different fields, different education levels it can be quite challenging to find something that you're looking for. I don't think it is for the lack of trying.

Take the IT field. In the 90's the kind of stuff I do and the knowledge I have would have paid double... Now it's just the run of the mill education although I feel that I am more polished than a lot of other people in the area and should an IT job, a decent one, come up in the area I live in I probably stand a better chance at getting it simply because there are less qualified applicants in the area I live in. Honestly, could be the very reason I'm not flipping burgers in a big city today... Perhaps living in the sticks is what made me...
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

deephiance Wrote:I don't know about soft touch, more inexperienced... (between you and me @princealbertofb I hate the term 'man up' Wink )

I know I am not a bad person Wink but thanks

I am the last person to judge and the first person to offer my thoughts...problem with offering your thoughts is people take it as 'advice' or some sort of attack on who they are and often go on the defensive.

But at the end of the day, I don't have to take anyone on the website home with me, so very little matters Smile
Thanks, [MENTION=24118]deephiance[/MENTION]; I too hate that expression so I had to quote unquote 'man up' because it's all balloney anyway... What makes a man think that women don't show tremendous courage. For F...' s sake, they have to go through childbirth.

Confuzzled4 Wrote:I think this is the best place to post. Being one of those 20 something year olds and trying to find a job is disheartening. Had a lot of school, depression which held me back and prevented me from job hunting for 8 months, and I'm just exhausted a lot of the time with the same rejection/null response. I know it's the market and my lack of experience/issues, but it's difficult to deal with. Anyone else who'd like to commiserate or discuss?

See if I can bring this back on topic.
What is your education in and what type of job (what field) are you trying to find?

I'm finding lately that Professional Certificates are more sought after than just college degrees.

Currently I'm stuck working overseas but am really hoping a job opens up closer to home and have a possibility hanging out there just out of reach.

Edit: You might look into a Temp Agency. When I was between jobs, I got a Temp Job (Buyer) at a computer software company that is now part of DELL. I used that temp job to leverage myself into a permanent Buyer job at a competing computer software company.

Temp Agency work can be good if you want to get your foot into a business / field. From there you can keep interviewing around + it builds your business knowledge + gives you some experience to put on a resume.
Use a condom.