Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishies
I love them, I actually visited the fish shop in my town a few weeks ago, I found they had very little choice, im no expert but there wasn't what i was looking for.

Had goldfish as a kid (who didn't) had two in a great huge tank to themselves lol It was fun cleaning that bloody thing, me and my sister took an end each and waddled down the hallway, trying not to overspill! Then the whole lot went down the bath hole, the fish had a temporary home in the sink.
(This is the correct & hygenic way to clean tanks)

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:I currently have 4 koi pond.

Koi are a type of carp and breed worse than rabbits. Unfortunately a large chunk of the offspring end up being black and silver and not brightly colored.

Through the years I have separated the colorful from the black/silver ones to try to breed more colorful fish. Its not a real breeding program.

I have considered starting a pond of fresh water fish to supplement my diet with fish protein.... However the cost and the requirements for feed offset any food gains I might get.

I had to answer the question Are your koi edible? so many times :eek:

I did play with the idea of keeping trouts. But I know my limits :biggrin: Trouts are not koi Rolleyes

Is this what you had in mind?
http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library/AD15.pdf

Englishman Wrote:An old boy who is a customer of mine has a lovely koi pond, and he has 2 whites, they must be 20 years old I guess?
They are the largest koi I have seen, coming in at around 2 foot. The second you walk towards the pond, they have their heads out the water, their mouths going for food, amazing fish.

I am nowhere near that size yet, but they are fun to watch Smile

[Image: picture.php?albumid=691&pictureid=4486]

I would love to have saltwater aquarium, but I am afraid they are much difficult to maintain and much more expensive than the freshwater ones we have.

Englishman Wrote:An old boy who is a customer of mine has a lovely koi pond, and he has 2 whites, they must be 20 years old I guess?
They are the largest koi I have seen, coming in at around 2 foot. The second you walk towards the pond, they have their heads out the water, their mouths going for food, amazing fish.

Yeah, my first batch of pretty koi I got trained to come to the surface when a person walks up. Unfortunately we have Heron and Egret which the koi would rise up to the surface to get food from, then be easily snatched up and carried away Cry

I only have one survivor from the first, he is a gold/red and white critter, very old - I have had him for 16 years and he was full grown when I got him from a friend who claims that he (the fish, not the friend) was already 20 years old (at the least).

The oldest living koi in captivity is estimated to be 225 years. Apparently these are heirloom species that can be passed down from generation to generation.:tongue:

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Koi are a type of carp and breed worse than rabbits. Unfortunately a large chunk of the offspring end up being black and silver and not brightly colored.
Never had koi breed even having had them for a number of years
(a couple years back had one lay eggs...hundreds of them. but that one lives in a tank by itself, so no babies LOL)

Englishman Wrote:They are the largest koi I have seen, coming in at around 2 foot. The second you walk towards the pond, they have their heads out the water, their mouths going for food, amazing fish.
Yep that sounds like koi behavior ... well except during winter when the water is frozen over LOL

I have an outside water feature which has a simple pump to circulate the water, I bought 5 goldfish and put in two water lilies. During summer I when I feed them they are quite aggressive fighting for the food. In winter I often don't see them for days and I don't bother feeding them. They are now about three years old and have produced seven new little fishies.
I have often thought about getting an indoor aquarium with more exotic fish but it always seems that there is a lot of work involved in keeping the tank clean and ensuring that the right fish are kept to stop them eating each other as well as keeping the tank at a certain temperature.