Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flu Shot
Have you had yours yet? What are you waiting for?

If you're opposed, then at least have the common courtesy to stay home and away from the general population while you're contagious. ( Thank you, Jenny McCarthy. :/ )

If you can't do any of the above then wear a goddamn surgical mask and don't touch anything, fool!

End rant.

Toodles!
xoxo

NativeSon Wrote:Have you had yours yet? What are you waiting for?

If you're opposed, then at least have the common courtesy to stay home and away from the general population while you're contagious. ( Thank you, Jenny McCarthy. :/ )

If you can't do any of the above then wear a goddamn surgical mask and don't touch anything, fool!

End rant.

Toodles!
xoxo
worry about yourself. Because you can not control what others do or do not do.

Who is Jenny McArthur?

I haven't had a flu shot in years. Every time I got one, I got sick. Miserably sick. Home in bed sweating like a horse, delusional sick. Since I stopped taking them, I've not gotten the flu even ONCE. I get sniffly colds, yeah. But that horrid, high temperature, sweating it out, sick as a dog flu? Nope.

You're right, though, if you DO have flu symptoms (temperature, headache, dizziness), you shouldn't be out in public. If you must be, you should be covering your face.

But so far as "flu shots" go.. I don't think they do shit. They *may* inoculate you against a certain "strain" of the flu virus... but that doesn't protect you from other strains. In fact, it may actually weaken your immune system.

And while you're home being sick, be sure to protect your loved ones.
[Image: pDGC1-12184705v380.jpg]

I actually had my first flu shot ever just this year. Having gone through chemotherapy at the beginning of the year, then surgery at mid-year. Then in the hospital again just recently due to a car accident.... my oncologist pretty much insisted and my family doctor wouldn't let it go. Fortunately, the negative, sickly effects of the shot only lasted a short time.

To be honest, flu shots should only be meant for particularly vulnerable target demographics, like children and old people.

I don't think I've ever had a flu shot and I sure have not needed one. I don't think I've ever gotten influenza.

As usual, prevention is your best friend. WASH YOUR HANDS!

*sigh* Influenza viruses are hypermutable and will sooner or latter render you entire Immune memory useless again, so hey, good thing there are shots. Blah.

[MENTION=20947]MikeW[/MENTION] right after the shot?

If that is so, that's good. Nothing better to make you realize the vaccine (aka, the attenuated pathogen that was injected to you) is working!
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

Insertnamehere Wrote:.... [MENTION=20947]MikeW[/MENTION] right after the shot?

If that is so, that's good. Nothing better to make you realize the vaccine (aka, the attenuated pathogen that was injected to you) is working!
My memory (going back to the late 1980s, early 1990s) is that it was both. Yeah, I know, you're supposed to feel "it" mildly after the shot. Yeah. But THEN, IDK, weeks, month or so later, I got VERY sick. I wanted to fucking die sick. I'd been sick like that a few times previously in my life... but since I stopped taking the shots, never. Maybe it is just dumb luck. IDK.

MikeW Wrote:My memory (going back to the late 1980s, early 1990s) is that it was both. Yeah, I know, you're supposed to feel "it" mildly after the shot. Yeah. But THEN, IDK, weeks, month or so later, I got VERY sick. I wanted to fucking die sick. I'd been sick like that a few times previously in my life... but since I stopped taking the shots, never. Maybe it is just dumb luck. IDK.

Hum. The vaccine might have been poorly designed. That is a possibility. The other possibility is that the strain that infected you was not the same group os strains you were vaccinated against.

Like I mentioned, Influenza viruses are hypermutable. And it takes a single nucleotide mutation to change a single aminoacid in a surface protein on the virus and, thus, to render an antibody useless.

That will never cease to be the major problem when dealing with this virus. Hence why Avian flu, Swine flu, etc were a thing.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

Always got the flu after the shot.... Haven't had the flu in 6 year since not getting the shot
I am the angles that hold and surround you

I am the demon you're afraid to meet

I dunno guys. I am in the same boat as Twist. The doctor stabs me before I get a chance to ask why these days. My doc is one of the people I really trust so I am willing to go along and blessed be Medicare for paying for it. I have not had problems with the flu.
I bid NO Trump!