Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For Sora ;) About our Zoo and floods
Odi, I thought I could share... Smile

Prague Zoo is on two height levels (VERY different levels). The lower one is under the water right now.

[Image: JB4b9eb0_povodne_ZOO_Praha.jpg]

All animals have been safely moved to the upper part of the Zoo during last night.

There is also a Tortoise pavilion that had to be evacuated. They say that when they let the tortoises out in the spare pavilion, they all immediately went to the part where they had spent five months after having been rescued from 2002 flooding.

11 years and they still remember Rolleyes

Some more pictures:
[Image: JB4b9e9b_povodne_ZOO_Praha.jpg]

[Image: JB4b9eb2_povodne_ZOO_Praha2.jpg]
Behind the upper window, there is the gorilla family. The pavilion has been designed with floods in mind, so the animals are safe now and will be moved to another Zoo soon.
The male is upset and angry Rolleyes

These are from 2002. The water came fast and was high. They say it was "a thousand year flood." The Zoo lost animals, including an elephant, a hippo and a sea lion.

[Image: 5ac340a15a841850765476b1b14373c9.jpg]

[Image: 3a28f5803de8651a28cdc12dc49e7803.jpg]
You can compare this picture to the first one - there is the same building on both of them.

Four sea lions escaped and were swimming freely in the Vltava river for days.
[Image: 385814.jpg]
One of them, Gaston, was captured in Germany.

There is an article in English about the 2002 flood if anyone is interested:
http://www.zoopraha.cz/en/about-zoo/flood-2002
Beware of the sound if you are at work...

I am glad that all the animals are safe at the Zoo.
An eye for an eye

Thanks nick, great most of the animals survived, it must of been chaos trying to move them, its a great story showing the deep love and bond we have with animals and how people react in times of trial. Shame 40 birds died because of the stress. Its the same as the ravens of the tower of london, they all died from stress during the blitz, except 1 i believe!

Yeah. They say, now, nobody at the ZOO believes the officials of the city - who used to lower the expected impact of the flood in 2002. That's why all the animals are gone in safety now, except for the gorillas, gaviales and a poisonous mamba - who all have flood-proof pavilions.

The Zoo invested huge amount of money to build new pavilions for big mammals - the elephants etc are now at the upper part of the zoo.

20 years ago it was a park full of cages. I am glad that over the years and thanks to the new management it has become an animal-friendly Zoo.

Why am I only just seeing this? :o

I am so glad for all those precious lives, however Sora has moved on to a new family, one with other Turtles like herself and some Land Turtles as well...I'm going to miss her greatly Sad almost 5 years of being best friends...But I can't take her away with me so....the UK doesn't allow turtles like her in their country Sad

I'm still sure she would be happy though. She always loved other Animals and learning about them Smile