Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For cat owners - the bath
I have to admit. My cat has never been in a carrier. When she needs to go somewhere in the car, she either rides on the passenger seat or in the back seat. Just curls up and waits, yeah? Smile

MikeW Wrote:Well, now I never tried that. Actually the last time I had cats (currently do not) they were two brothers from the same litter. Both total sweethearts. But I can't imagine cradling them as you depict. But, then, I'm a wuss when it comes to pain. I taught them as kittens they were NOT to bite or scratch me, least they get bitten on the ear (yes, by me). This they could readily understand.

It was interesting. As adult cats, they liked to PET me to sleep. They'd come lie down next to me as I was falling asleep and one or the other would reach out with there paws and ever so gently draw them across my face without ever extending their claws (often quite near my eyes). Quite wonderful, actually, given how difficult it is for them to do that against their own natural inclination to scratch.

Meanie is very independent and very -picky- about who gets to touch her and when. She only really likes to be touched and petted right first thing in the morning, or right before bed at night. She's not a cuddler (other than with my feet when I'm settled on the couch, or on my ass when I'm sleeping in bed).

BUT, in situations like the shower or the vet? She's a serious clinger. She will climb me just to get into that "toddler holding" position with her arms around my neck and hide her face in my throat. And once she holds on, she does -not- want to let go until whatever the issue is has resolved itself.

It's nice that you allow her that sense of safety. My two boys were quite independent. They did like to 'roost' on me, one or other in my lap (only room for one at a time) when sitting at the computer, or if I was prone one of the other, sometimes both, on my chest. You understand "roost"?

[Image: XNqpOwg.jpg]

MikeW Wrote:It's nice that you allow her that sense of safety. My two boys were quite independent. They did like to 'roost' on me, one or other in my lap (only room for one at a time) when sitting at the computer, or if I was prone one of the other, sometimes both, on my chest. You understand "roost"?

[Image: XNqpOwg.jpg]

Oohh yes. Great big spread of catness blob covering as much area as possible while still sturdily set in a comfortable ball.

Meanie does this to my feet, working hard to cover each and every bit of skin, positive one day if she roosts on my feet long enough, they'll hatch into a big pile kitty treats or something just as glorious.

About 7 years ago, I was taking my household garbage or the dumpster and I heard the cry of a kitten. Two kittens actually. Someone had thrown them into the dumpster. After climbing inside, I discovered two VERY tiny, dark brown kittens. I picked them up and placed them into my car and drove home. The little male cat died before I got back to my appartment.
The little brown female was SO COVERED in fleas that, despite warnings I had heard about bathing young cats, I decided to give her a bath. She was so tiny she fit snugly into the palm of my hand, so she did not offer any resistance. In luke-warm water, I carefully cleaned her and was supposed to discover that she was almost completely white!
The next day I took her to the vet and he said it was a miracle that I found her, as she was very wormy and near starvation. He said he would guess that she was less than a week old.
For the next 3 weeks I took her every where with me. My professors at University were very understanding and allowed me to bring her to class with me, as I had to bottle feed her kitten formula every 2-4 hours (even at night!).
I named her "Opal", and by some continuation of the miracle that brought her into my life, she survived.
When she was little I would bath her ~ once a week, but as she grew older she began to decide when she wanted a bath by just coming and getting in the tub with me.
Now days, when I run a bath, she hears the water pouring into the tub and comes running! She ALWAYS sits on the side of the tub while I bath, but about twice a week she gets into the water with me. Smile

...OR...you could drop him at the groomer, head home, listen to music, have a couple beers and then a while later, go pick up a sweet-smelling, fluffy cat with a jaunty bow around his neck.. Works for me...
Cat3Cat2Cat3Cat2Cat3