Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For no other reason other than they're beautiful
Some of you might know that the largest music festival in the world is called the Proms, 75 concerts in the Royal Albert Hall between July and September.

One of the concerts this years featured the young and beautiful Nicola Benedetti playing the Korngold violin concerto. As a companion piece to the Proms there was a half hour programme about the tour of India that she did with the Scottish National Orchestra. At one point she gave a concert in Mumbai and in the programme there was an infuriatingly short clip of her playing the traditional Scottish ballad "My love is like a red, red rose". Fortunatly I was able to find it on YouTube and for those of you interested, you can hear it here:

After it played the video went on to play another passion of mine; the tango, and one by the great Carlos Gardel: "Por una cabeza" ("By a head"). The title refers to Gardel's passion for horse racing and refers to him losing a bet "by a horse's head". Here's a wonderful interpretation by Nicola Benedetti. The video is also interesting in that it shows two men dancing together which in fact is totally authentic. The tango started in the brothels of Buenos Aires and was traditionally danced between men.

Hope you enjoy these as much as I have.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams