Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For the Bible tells me so
LateBloomer Wrote:Where does the anger come from?

I ALREADY TOLD YOU! I GET IT!

Are you not reading my words or are you just being argumentative.

Do I have a problem with disagreement? No! I have a problem with being MISUNDERSTOOD or having my words TWISTED.

I dont' think I am misunderstanding you at all but I will try my best not to respond further in the interest of keeping the peace.

LateBloomer Wrote:Except while everyone rails against the Christian "mainstream" they SIMULTANEOUSLY neglect to look at the SAME issue from a different PERSPECTIVE!

What does Constantine have to do with, say, MUSLIM discrimination towards homosexuality?

Could it be the gay community is JUST AS guilty of jumping to conclusions and making leaps of faith that involve some pretty fragile logic.

Something to think about?

Please watch the movie before making any comment.

For many people, faith is more important than their own lives. I have friends who know they are a Christian before any other identity.

I am not a Christian for a reason, I found that religion too crude to believe in. ( that doesn't mean there aren't any Christian who are good people ).
I just dislike Christianity personally.

posterpicture Wrote:Please watch the movie before making any comment.

For many people, faith is more important than their own lives. I have friends who know they are a Christian before any other identity.

I am not a Christian for a reason, I found that religion too crude to believe in. ( that doesn't mean there aren't any Christian who are good people ).

I never responded to the movie. I was simply responding to other members.

To each their own, whatever, live and let live, I'm not trying to CONVERT anyone.

I just think it's really very very interesting that someone like me gets picked on. I'm a friend in the Church but get nothing but shit for it.

"A prophet is never accepted in his own home."

It'll all change better given enough time. When it comes to belief, you can't change how someone sees something. All you can do is wait and hope that someday they'll see things your way, or at least understand why you see as you do...

LateBloomer Wrote:I just think it's really very very interesting that someone like me gets picked on. I'm a friend in the Church but get nothing but shit for it.

"A prophet is never accepted in his own home."

dude / boo... you not a prophet.
and i know i am not

Ceruleaan Wrote:It'll all change better given enough time. When it comes to belief, you can't change how someone sees something. All you can do is wait and hope that someday they'll see things your way, or at least understand why you see as you do...

Things don't just change like a dream over the night. If you don't act nothing would happen.
Not to spoil but If you watch the documentary, there is Mary Lou Wallner whose daughter committed suicide after years of receiving crude hatred words from Mary and her church.
After her daughter's death, Mary changed. From a religious homophobic person she became an advocated activist.
I cried when she said: "I would never imagine that it takes the life of my daughter for me to become this."

Change can only happen when you act. If there weren't for millions of us matched on the prides, donated money, screamed in protests, .... we would not have what we have today.
I know it seems like it 's not your job to make change but to be honest, if you don't act then it might not ever change.

So you can start now to make a change. Start go to your local GLBT meeting to find out about the opportunity, or join some national movement like the Human Right Campaign would help a lot.

posterpicture Wrote:I just finished watching this documentary "For the Bible tells me so".
The movie moved my heart.

i got the documentary and maybe see if this evening if my partner wants.

pellaz Wrote:Catholics will accept the closeted image of me. A gay can only attend church as a hypocrite.
-plant that big gay kiss on your partner up front the so your congregation can see ... no.
-lets hold hands, me and the boy friend in church as they ask me to leave.

i have a partner, friends and a life that i live as a gay man.

everyone has their belief system, i can pick any one of a thousand junk religions.

I agree about attending as a hypocrite. Now I am sure there are some exceptions out there. I'm sure there are some churches that don't condemn homosexuality. Or I say this more out of hope then anything else.

I was not raised in any Church and went maybe twice growing up when we stayed with family friends who were big on Church. I was big on going to Church in late high school and after high school. I enjoyed it, it was fun, I met a lot of great people.

But as I struggled to accept myself as gay I knew where those Churches stood on the issue and I didn't attend for a long time. Now that I've finally accepted myself completely and am very happy doing so I do miss churches and wanted to go back. I went to a decent number of Churches here in San Diego and they either were against homosexuality or they were "ok" with it ... as long as you didn't act on it. Even a big church here in San Diego, the Rock church has a group that meets weekly for gay and lesbian members, I went to my first meeting and I got the same impression.

First, I noticed how really a lot of people there were not real happy, they seemed to have a strong sense of guilt and conflict going on in there life. Then as I listened and we prayed I noticed that in fact yes, they were fine with you being gay, as long as you don't act on it sexually.

So I have not been back sense. I spent SO LONG in the closet lying and hiding who I was and now that I am finally out and happy and have accepted myself completely I absolutely, completely, TOTALLY refuse to lie, hide, or pretend to be someone I'm not. Absolutely refuse.

On a side note though it is sad, my parents think, because of the depression I had since 7th grade (mainly because I was gay and didn't want to be and hiding it and who I was) they think that going to church and getting involved in it will help me. I've tried to explain to them, and some of my friends who feel the same way, that I just can't. If I go into a Church and they say homosexuality is a sin, or that it's okay to be gay, just don't act on it sexually, that I get that same strong, deep, horrible feeling inside me that I am a bad person, I am wrong, I need to go back into hiding and fight myself on this. Not going to do it, I get a strong sense of anger inside me when this happens and right away shut down and say no, this is NOT for me. It's a little strange to me that my family and friends don't understand that. It seems like common sense to me to feel as though I shouldn't have to hide who I am to attend a Church but I tried to explain it but i can't... oh well...

posterpicture Wrote:Please watch the movie before making any comment.

Just started watcing it this minute pp...I have streaming Netfix...the first scene with that bitch Anita Bryant already has my stomach sick so I better hold on...tell you what I think later.....

I finished the movie now PP...thanks for the recommendation. I was prepared to turn it off as I was not sure which perspective the movie came from...I remember watching Jesus Camp and becoming physically ill so I didn't want that to happen again...

The main reason I reject the Bible is the Leviticus verse (and ALL of Leviticus Verses) and the people who quote it usually have no idea what the verses before and after that say and of course they break those rules while condemning gays...but still that isn't THE problem for me...it is the conditioning and brainwashing that allows them to ignore what I said to keep what they "believe" to be "THE ABSOLUTE TRUTH"...and the insanity that allows them to use a passage out of a book and claim it is THE ABSOLUTE TRUTH and ignore all of the other passages that that refer to them from the SAME BOOK THEY CLAIM IS THE ABSOLUTE TRUTH..that is why I have distanced myself from the Bible because if it happened to so many other people you never know when it could happen to you. How do you lose your brain and your heart and your soul all at the same time? YIKES! We all have questions and fear and shame and those are the moments we are most vulnerable and might start to internalize that nonsense...fear and shame will bind you.

At the same time I am thankful to those people because instead of being a good example they have been a horrible warning and because of that I routinely...usually once every couple of years..take everything I believe and throw it on the table...I strip myself bare...and then I take what I still feel is true and what resonates with my heart/mind/soul/spirit and keep it and I throw the rest away. It is an odd feeling when that happens and at the moment it does I understand what keeps alot of those people where they are. To let everything you find comfort in and believe go at once is scary...I know because it scares me initially every time I do it...but the fear subsides and I feel stronger every time because I was willing to let it go...it makes what I keep alot clearer because I have an even deeper understanding of it...

...and so when someone else tells me that I certainly do not know the joy they feel as I am missing something and they are some kind of authority on "joy" and of course am not capable of feeling any joy of my own (or maybe it isn't the right kind of joy??) because I don't see things the way they do and surely when or if I do "come around" I will know "the truth" according to them and then play a victim when their behavior is pointed out to them...ummm...BITE ME!Confusedmile: