Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For the Older Generations Here:
How have things changed in your country for gay people over the course of your life?
What is the best change? What is the worst change?
What is something you think that all younger gay people should realize about your generation's experience, history, or contributions?

In the United States, we can now be openly-gay while working in any Federal Government job, including the military. We can now legally marry in any state. We have anti-discrimination laws in many towns and most, if not all,, fortune 500 companies. It is now legal to have consensual sex with a member of the same sex who is of legal age in all states. When I came-of-age, none of these things were legal anywhere in the United States.

All of these changes have been good for our community, the only bad parts are that we still face discrimination in housing, jobs, etc. in states where we are not protected by non-discrimination laws.

I believe the younger generation should continue the fight,,, which they are doing. We are almost there!!!.........

The younger generation need not thank the older generation for what it has achieved, seeing two young men or young women walking down a city street holding hands is all the gratification we old coots need. It brings happiness to my heart every time I see this,,, and that's all I want.

Old Coot,
Jim
We Have Elvis !!

Emiliano Wrote:How have things changed in your country for gay people over the course of your life?

(The USA..)

I should say despite the constant struggle, We remain positively progressive.

I am proud to have witnessed medical advancements and awareness regarding Hiv/ Aids.

I am excited to be a late 30's male at the pinacle of our gay rights movement, The Trans movement is about to get its long overdue recognition and let's not forget marriage equality .

Quote:What is the worst change?

(For Gay Culture) (Or Humanity)
In my opinion?

The best thing is the worst thing in disguise.

>Technology<

Computers, Smart Phones, Tablets, The Internet ..Social Media,Dating and Hookup Applications

(There I said it.)...

The very thing that can bring us closer together or dramatically change or save our lives is actually destroying us socially.

I believe we have diluted the way we socialize and communicate.
I believe our perception or definition of friendship or a relationship is warped or has become impractical because of technology and the internet...

We can now own a single device that gives us access to unlimited information, communication fast friends , lovers and sex , fast food and utilitarian necessities ... Extremely powerful access with very little effort.

Guys/girls have boyfriends or girlfriends that they have never met in reality..
We do not go the distance we should socially..
The internet has its limits and if things seem "untimely"...
The next person is just a click away..
(How could those ever be healthy dating practices?)

I have Gay Speak friends that (God Forbid) could die tomorrow and I probably would never, ever know ..

At this very instant I'd love to find out how [MENTION=21084]Virge[/MENTION] is doing ... I can't call like a real friend should.. I have to wait till he decides to log in to answer my e-mail.

I have grown to love a few members on this site that I will probably never "See" or hug...
I'm not sure if this sounds absolutely absurd to anyone else.. I can tell you my soul isn't sitting very well with this concept.

But...

the way of technology, twice as destructive as it is brilliant .

*Sigh*

Quote:What is something you think that all younger gay people should realize about your generation's experience, history, or contributions?

Haha..
Awesome question.

This is what every generation saids to the next..

"My generation has made amazing accomplishments that has been diluted , destroyed or taken for granted by yours."

I'll stop here ..
Not sure if my post will make sense to anyone else but me..

Awesome Idea for a thread [MENTION=21558]Emiliano[/MENTION] . I hope it takes off...

Anocxu Wrote:Computers, Smart Phones, Tablets, The Internet ..Social Media,Dating and Hookup Applications

(There I said it.)...

The very thing that can bring us closer together or dramatically change or save our lives is actually destroying us socially.

I believe we have diluted the way we socialize and communicate.
I believe our perception or definition of friendship or a relationship is warped or has become impractical because of technology and the internet...

We can now own a single device that gives us access to unlimited information, communication fast friends , lovers and sex , fast food and utilitarian necessities ... Extremely powerful access with very little effort.

Guys/girls have boyfriends or girlfriends that they have never met in reality..
We do not go the distance we should socially..
The internet has its limits and if things seem "untimely"...
The next person is just a click away..
(How could those ever be healthy dating practices?)

this. the world is worse off for social media, texting, and the like.

when i was growing up we didn't have any of this. back when i was in high school we didn't have any of it. people actually talked to other people and had meaningful and deep conversations with each other on a regular basis. it still happens, of course, but i do feel that people have in general become alienated from meaningful human interaction, and have become wary of saying/doing certain things in person as opposed to online where they can hide behind their computer/phone.

that's very very sad.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

We;; they no longer openly bash gays to near death and hang them on fences to let the elements finish the job....

The USA is a big country, over 300 million, many states are still debating the legality of gay marriage, and pot too...

I think the biggest changes I have lived to see are not political/legal ones, but the general day to day attitude of John Q. Public has changed dramatically. Sure we have a lot of vocal locos who spew hatred at every turn, but I think there is a clear majority who just don't care about ones sexuality as long as its not shoved down their throat.

meridannight Wrote:this. the world is worse off for social media, texting, and the like.

when i was growing up we didn't have any of this. back when i was in high school we didn't have any of it. people actually talked to other people and had meaningful and deep conversations with each other on a regular basis. it still happens, of course, but i do feel that people have in general become alienated from meaningful human interaction, and have become wary of saying/doing certain things in person as opposed to online where they can hide behind their computer/phone.

that's very very sad.
I think so many awesome people are accepting the concept of digitizing social interactions...
When things transition to the real world they stumble..
I believe the internet can bring people together..
but when they meet in reality.. the rules change..
It's almost like starting all over again.
Some hit it off quite well..
So many don't...but oddly enough online.. they were able to communicate successfully.

I don't know. To my knowledge being gay has not been an issue in Denmark during my lifetime. We can get married, have children, kiss in public, rob banks, commit murder and evade taxes like heteros.

Anocxu Wrote:I think so many awesome people are accepting the concept of digitizing social interactions...
When things transition to the real world they stumble..
I believe the internet can bring people together..
but when they meet in reality.. the rules change..
It's almost like starting all over again.
Some hit it off quite well..
So many don't...but oddly enough online.. they were able to communicate successfully.

Has anyone ever wondered what it would be like to throw the whole GS community into an IRL big room? I have. It would be an interesting experiment, at least!

Cuddly Wrote:I don't know. To my knowledge being gay has not been an issue in Denmark during my lifetime. We can get married, have children, kiss in public, rob banks, commit murder and evade taxes like heteros.
Haha. I still remember when Denmark was the first country to allow gays to marry/register their partnership, I believe in 89, and being a lil jealous south of your border.

Gay life in Germany has improved a lot, but less through tangibles but more through general acceptance in society. The only big things I can come up now between my coming out in 88 and now is
- getting completely rid of paragraph 175, the law the nazis installed dealing with Gays and the enlightened FRG took over unchanged. It had to be dismantled bit by bit over 40+ years
- getting the registered partnership and slowly, slowly most of the marriage rights.
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.

It is hard to control people who are not sexually repressed....the ones who don't follow the rules....

That used to be all gay people pretty much...and then AIDS came along...and in my 20s first..then my 30s...one by one my friends would tell me that they had AIDS...then..one by one..I saw the life drain out of them..changes in their bodies and spirits..and then they died...

...and I hated that Reagan's Moral Majority used this as "proof" that "those people"...talking about us...are dirty and are paying for their "sins"...

What has changed? The same people now blame us for tornadoes...9/11...earthquakes...global warming...it used to just be "our sins"..BUT...they are no longer the Majority...and they were NEVER "Moral"...and still aren't.

What else has changed? Now..gay people are the ones slut shaming and the ones who are sexually repressed...

They managed to pit us all against each other...and ourselves...like they have done with every group who is not white...or heterosexual.....

TPTB understand this simple sociological phenomenon...they understand it perfectly ...and have used it for centuries...

The house slaves vs the field slaves...the light skinned vs the dark skinned...the "ghetto" vs the burbs....

It is well studied and in many cases...documented...

Is that progress?

Sorry.,..I know this is a bit depressing...I will think some more for some positive stuff to balance it a bit Smile