Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Formal letter of complaint, Racist harassment
Guys I'm writing a letter of complaint for my mum, she's being harassed by a racist, White Supremacist colleague who's been making her workplace very uncomfortable for everyone.

I thought I might just like to share with you what I wrote (i'll take out all the personal details), just to show you what happens in New Zealand.

Gonna tell Melissa Lee about this shit next time I'm able to see her.

[MY NAME]
[MY EMAIL]

To whom it may concern,

I am writing on behalf of [COMPANY] employee [MUMS NAME], in regard to a workplace grievance currently happening within the mail-room office at [OFFICE ADDRESS].
It has recently come to my attention that a certain employee, [EMPLOYEE NAME], has been causing disturbance and has been creating an unfriendly work environment at the office. Employee [MUMS NAME] has reported to me that [NAME] has been making racist remarks and harassing employees. His remarks have been of an inappropriate nature for the workplace: these remarks have been directed at people of Asian, and specifically Chinese, descent and have been specifically targeting [NAME].
This toxic environment has been allegedly present for a few years; however, with the recent departure of fellow Chinese-New Zealander employee [NAME] (who had supported [NAME] in solidarity of their shared Chinese heritage), [NAME]’s remarks have been increasingly hostile and inappropriate. His behaviour has included comments on [NAME]’s ethnicity – she quoted his saying the phrase “bloody Chinese” – comments supporting white supremacy which have included the alleged words “white people are the higher class”. The most recent case, on the [DATE], was a situation in which [NAME] was conversing with a young woman in the presence of [NAME], telling the woman that the difference between Chinese people and Japanese people are the number of tongues they possess (the definitive meaning of this remark is unknown, however there were clear racial overtones and [NAME] was deeply offended by these remarks). [NAME]’s inappropriate behaviour has also included his use of the racial slur “coconut” in referring to people of Pasifika descent.
On [DATE], there was an incident in which having asked for [NAME]’s help in a work-related matter, [NAME] proceeded to mock and insult [NAME]’s accent and English ability, deeply offending [NAME]. [NAME] became very frustrated with [NAME]’s attitude and came home in a state of fatigue and ill health. This incident apparently caused [NAME], who has hypertension, to go into a state of high blood pressure caused by the stress of being insulted and victimised by [NAME]’s racist attitude, ultimately resulting in the inability of [NAME] to work on both [DATES], on the medical advice of her Doctor, [DOCTORS NAME].
I believe that this matter is of great importance, and it is a serious grievance in the workplace. A healthy and friendly environment which reflects New Zealand’s multi-cultural and accepting ideal has not been achieved in the [COMPANY OFFICE] due to the problems caused by[NAME]. [NAME] is deeply disappointed in this discrimination and intolerance caused by a single ignorant and rude individual, and her image of New Zealand society as accepting and kind has been diminished.
I would like to suggest a cultural diversity/sensitivity training programme for the employee in question. Such a programme, were it to be implemented, would also benefit the workplace in general, as [COMPANY] is a very socially diverse community.
However, due to the sensitive health condition of [NAME], I would like to see an immediate solution – this could entail mediation, disciplinary action against [NAME], or other possible courses of action – to the poisonous atmosphere which [NAME] has been creating within the workplace, which has not only been making [NAME] uncomfortable, but also other employees. This is to ensure a safe, and healthy workplace for all, and to prevent further incidences similar to the one on the [DATE], which forced [NAME] to miss two valuable days of work.
Thank you for your consideration, I look forward to hearing report of further action to remedy this very serious issue.

Yours Sincerely,

[MY NAME]

Well done mate, proud of you and so should your mother be as well as yourself.

Perfectly done, sir.

I'm sure that your mom is hardly the only one having suffered these dealings at the hands of this collegue so this may help for more people to speak up.

Maybe your mom can have some sort of recording device hidden for the next time it happens to as to have definitive proof. That always helps.

(Are there laws in New Zealand against racial discrimination? If so I doubt the company will risk losing money on a law suit, and will side with your mom...hopefuly)

Racists, racial supremacists, and stupid people in general can be found anywhere I'm afraid..I'm sorry your mom has had to suffer this

P.S: Who is Melissa Lee?

It looks and reads nice.

I just don't know the laws of New Zealand and how serious they take racial discrimination. So what is bound to come of this I do not know. I do hope it turns in your all's favor.

success! The nice lady who is the manager emailed me saying they'll deal with it in an efficient manner Big Grin

You're a good son!

You must have an amazing mom.

"The number of tongues they have"

The guy should have HIS tongue nailed to the floor!

Notwithstanding his inappropriate and possibly criminal behaviour, the guy comes across as a particularly vile individual.

Best of luck with it all.

Lilitu Wrote:success! The nice lady who is the manager emailed me saying they'll deal with it in an efficient manner Big Grin

Just make sure you keep printed copies of any online correspondence you have with anyone regarding this.

If it keeps up, and you have to go talk to a lawyer, you will have some paperwork to back up your accusations against this nasty person.

I would ask your mother to see if everybody who has been harassed would write up a statement, sign and date it, and give it to you for safe keeping....if this ever gets escalated to going to a lawyer.

You might also keep in mind, if you go to a local news station, you might be able to get someone to do a news story on it and embarrass the company into doing something about it....if they end up not doing anything.

There are lots of underhanded things you can do to deal with this.

Good luck.

Nice! That's a good email. If this was caught in Canada, it would get that person fired right away.