Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Found footage horror films.
What do you think of them? Do you find the shaky handheld camera work off pointing or can it add to building tension. I loved the blair witch project, always watch it every couple of years, im not a huge fan of the paranormal activitys, not very memorable films. I saw an excellent one the other day, a spanish film called Atrocious, some people might find it weird as theres long periods of just walking through endless paths in the woods, but i found it genuinely unsettling. Though a bad example would be "Quarantine" god that was bad.

I am aware that a lot of people hate them, but I enjoy them. Some have been over-the-top and miserable, but the ones that did it right were amazing. Making me feel like I'm experiencing it is what really freaks me out. I don't get freaked out at all by the other slasher style horrors mainly being produced today. Those just make me laugh. Like you, I really enjoyed the Blair Witch Project. I also liked the first (and only the first) Paranormal Activity. The one I really hated, even if it was only partially found footage, was District 9. That was just terrible.

I think the music and the sounds are the main factor to scare the shit out of people lmao :3

CakeLuv Wrote:I think the music and the sounds are the main factor to scare the shit out of people lmao :3

The scariest sound in a scary movie are of course the screams. Sometimes no background music really makes a scene extremely scary or disturbing.

As far as lost horror films go, they were fun at first but lost their mojo for me. The shakiness makes me sick and they start repeating the same stuff.

The Blair Witch project was good, but honestly they're all the same now.

Paranormal activity was good.

The problem now is they sound scripted which they probably are. They're only good when they're pretty much improvised by the actors, that way it sounds natural.

VileKyle Wrote:I am aware that a lot of people hate them, but I enjoy them. Some have been over-the-top and miserable, but the ones that did it right were amazing. Making me feel like I'm experiencing it is what really freaks me out. I don't get freaked out at all by the other slasher style horrors mainly being produced today. Those just make me laugh. Like you, I really enjoyed the Blair Witch Project. I also liked the first (and only the first) Paranormal Activity. The one I really hated, even if it was only partially found footage, was District 9. That was just terrible.

I actually agree with all of that, District 9 didnt do it for me either.

Lilitu Wrote:The Blair Witch project was good, but honestly they're all the same now.

Paranormal activity was good.

The problem now is they sound scripted which they probably are. They're only good when they're pretty much improvised by the actors, that way it sounds natural.

I think in some cases the improvisation can seem very false though, its something i picked up on. Yeah there are SO many now, like i said though Atrocious was good, worth seeing. :-)

I got very in to Hammer Horror when I was a kid.

The likes of Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee gave what seems to me now a very camp rendering of a Vampire.

Of course, each generation gussies up it's Vampires and Werewolves. I think evan Bram Stoker added a little artistic license.

Vigilias Wrote:I got very in to Hammer Horror when I was a kid.

The likes of Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee gave what seems to me now a very camp rendering of a Vampire.

Of course, each generation gussies up it's Vampires and Werewolves. I think evan Bram Stoker added a little artistic license.

Well Bram stoker did invent vampire pretty much so yeah, from a mish mash of folklore creatures and one vlad the impaler so yes he had a LOT of artistic licsence, some of it was even from his own fragile condition.

But Vigilas, this thread is about "found-footage" you know, think "the blair witch project"

"the blair witch project" is awesome ~
i loved how much effort they put into making it seem "real" , with all the promotions and advertising

for a while the three main actors were listed as "missing : presumed dead" on IMDB apparently , lol ~