Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
France cracks down on planned obsolescence
And about time too. Now it should be rolled out all ove the EU. America probably won't follow.

http://vacuums.reviewed.com/news/france-...s_comments
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

About time.

We have had many items over the last decade that have actually crapped out within a week or two of the warranty expiration. Which has to indicate something in the program board that is essentially a clock.

And then we are left with stuff that can't be repaired any more. And having to arrange for it to get into the recycling stream....too annoying.

It is great that a television only now costs 1/4 of what it used to...but they actually last less than 1/4 the lifespan of the old one.....and I get it. Most of this is now about the electronics and communications technology....everything has to do more and more stuff which means that the programming is obsolete by the time you plug it in the first time.

Products definitely have a shorter life span now. That was the number one complaint when I was doing tech support for a printer manufacturer, the customers printer of tens years would finally conk out and the new printer would last maybe 1.5 years.
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

ceez Wrote:Products definitely have a shorter life span now. That was the number one complaint when I was doing tech support for a printer manufacturer, the customers printer of tens years would finally conk out and the new printer would last maybe 1.5 years.

You should suspect something when the first time you have to replace all the cartridges, it costs more than the whole device when you first bought it.

It also drives me crazy how flimsy and light everything is. You pick up the handset of a (corded) phone and the base slides off the desk and falls on the floor. Remember when you could literally "slam down the phone"? Now it would shatter.

LONDONER Wrote:And about time too. Now it should be rolled out all ove the EU. America probably won't follow.

http://vacuums.reviewed.com/news/france-...s_comments

QFT. We have a landfill quota, you know.

There should also be a limit on single use products. Our ability to manufacture instant junk is horrifying.
I bid NO Trump!