Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frank Ocean Comes Out
matty7 Wrote:im not one to very often disagree with anyone opinion on GS,,cant think of many serious instances if any at all but i have t disagree with ardus n Bowyn Aerrow (sorry lads) i think its massively important that someone who younger people look up to come out as gay etc ,,, they can see its nothing to be shamefull for and will feel its ok for them too to say they are gay too, how many people on this board alone talk about seeing thearapists about issues arrising from accepting be gay !! if this helps young kids come out then im all for it and it will make a difference, the teen suicide thing has been a big issue latley and if this sort of high profile statement can prevent or help one person then it is a big positive

Ardus, u postyed this mate "we MUST stop acting like we're asking for special treatment" dont think were askin for this but if gay people are been killed, bullied, or pushed to suicide by anti gay parts of scociety then any help to make it more acceptable to be proud and gay then i welcome every crumb of help

Ever hear what the anti-gay crowd complain about?

Its our 'in your face' attitude that rubs them the wrong way. They feel we make too huge of a deal of being LGBT. And to a point we do make it into a huge deal.

The anti-gay crowd feel like we are forcing them to accept LGBT because we make it into a huge deal.

None of us are that gay to where we are only gay. None of us live, breath, eat just gay - most of us have a lot of other qualities and things going on. being gay, bi, straight is only a small fraction of a person.

Once we stop making it into a big deal, the haters will stop seeing it as a big deal.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Ever hear what the anti-gay crowd complain about?

Its our 'in your face' attitude that rubs them the wrong way. They feel we make too huge of a deal of being LGBT. And to a point we do make it into a huge deal.

The anti-gay crowd feel like we are forcing them to accept LGBT because we make it into a huge deal.

None of us are that gay to where we are only gay. None of us live, breath, eat just gay - most of us have a lot of other qualities and things going on. being gay, bi, straight is only a small fraction of a person.

Once we stop making it into a big deal, the haters will stop seeing it as a big deal.

I agree, I think that it will take time, because everything does, but I think that making it a big deal is what makes it a big deal.
Richard

I Agree with everyone to an extent on this one. No it shouldn't matter what someone does in their private life so there should be all this boohaha about a famous person coming out.

On the other hand, the youth struggling with their sexuality and suicidal thoughts and look up to these people may find their beacon of hope and inspiration in these people, they find someone they identify with.

The reality of the whole situation is we still need to make ourselves visable by whatever methods we have at our individual disposal because there are still battles with equality going on all around us.

If we weren't so visable, the anti-gay crowds would just find something else to complain about.

We don't expect 'special' treatment like the anti-gay movement seems to think we want. We want what everyone else has - equal rights, and if it takes a homosexual in a homophobic industry to stand up loud and proud to change attitudes, then so be it Smile

Good to see high profile people coming out of the woods because it shows society that gays dont have an adgenda or a sex as any race can have gay people amongst them Smile had to google his name though lmaso

I'm 50/50 .

On the one hand, I believe we should celebrate and recognize gays, in general, no matter their position in life, because for centuries, we were either forced to be straight, killed, told we are basically a sin and sinners and all around made to seem less then human, just like how women and black people were.

Now women are equal if not rising above men now in almost all areas, and the same goes for black people, even with the slight hiccups.

I never looked up to a gay person per se, but to see shows like Will & Grace and Noah's Arc, which show extremely openly gay characters, the latter of which helped me immensely, because I am half black, raised in a predominantly black culture/environment and also in a society that has generally had a very strong distaste bordering hatred of gays, until very recently.

So yes, I like the fact that I can say, "Wow, he's gay! Just like me" and have someone to identify with and know that you don't have to be straight to enjoy all of life's bounty, however hard the road may be.

But then again, I also believe that nothing should be forced upon anyone. I believe that people who think homosexuality/bisexuality is being forced upon society, are people who themselves have on some systemic level an uncomfortability with it and feel as if though they must rebel back.

But this is a folly.

Though I truely believe nothing should be forced on anyone, people now-a-days take things to being forced upon them, based on their idealisms of how things should be and the fact that change may be coming to fast for their likings or for their acceptance.

This is okay, but to prevent and restrict others from expressing themselves, is anti-progressive.

If I walk down the street with my skinny jeans on and my glittery man purse in tow, and some people don't like it, that's not me forcing them to accept my homosexuality or even my persona for that matter, but merely me expressing myself the way I want to. It's they who take it as me forcing them to accept it, because I choose to do it, however much they don't like it.

Like Bowyn said; Straight people do not have to come to terms with their sexuality. Or rather, worry whether or not what they do in public is seen as unacceptable. They can leave the house in jeans and a T and not be gawked at or be accused of forcing their sexuality or persona on anyone, which is a bias and unfair.

Forcing someone in my opinion to accept something they do not want to accept, is extremely unlikely and possibly impossible, because you cannot change someone who does not want to be changed. So for people to say we are forcing homosexuality on them or society is really not accurate, as they do not have to accept it, just like we don't have to accept their idiosyncracies.

Ultimately, it's really rather more a matter of opinion, than it is of forcing anything on anyone or celebrating anything, whether it's seen as blown out of proportion or not.

People will always disagree. People will always be unique.

I can say the sky is purple and someone will say it's blue, but because I believe it's purple, It would seem like someone elses ideas/logic will be forced on mine, making me question myself and what it is I know to be true or not, and people generally and historically have or have tried to stay with what they know.

Change is never easy. And it most certainly should not be confused with being a force upon anyone for any reason.

Even my opinion in this post. Someone will disagree and feel as if though I'm trying to force something upon them or try to make it seem as if what they know or believe is wrong, which is in itself wrong.

I'm merely expressing my opinion, whether it be right or wrong, while opinions can technically never be one or the other anyway.

Loveya .

Can we pick the 2 Libran's in this thread?

Also posted in a coming out thread but related to Frank Ocean, so...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/darnell-l-...53017.html
Here's something to think about.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Ever hear what the anti-gay crowd complain about?

Who the fuck cares what the anti-gay crowd thinks about us.

How bout the straights stop rubbing it in my face. Everywhere I look is straight, straight, straight: heterosexual relationship on tv, pushed in every advertisement, in every romantic comedy on the big screen, preached from the church pulpit, reinforced in the laws of the land, and proudly announced all the fucking time by people on the street when they choose to make their various lusts and tastes known. It pervades every facet of society.

And one person admitting that they are gay or bisexual is somehow "rubbing it in." That's pure bullshit, you've eaten up the rhetoric of the anti-gay movement hook, line and sinker.

Equality isn't achieved when we can all live in our own little worlds and ignore the differences. We are equal precisely when the difference can be viewed in public just as easily as the norm without comment.

dfiant Wrote:Can we pick the 2 Libran's in this thread?

Cough... Actually Daddy, there's 3. Pellaz is one too Biglaugh .

Libra power! Cheerleader2 lol.

~

Also, to add to my previous long statement, I also believe in neutrality and to touch on what Pip has said; namely the equalization of society as a whole, which is an issue of which society refuses to see or is too blind to see.

Heterosexuality is literally oozing out of practically every pore of human existance; T.v/Jobs/Church/etc, so obviously there's an imbalance, as not every human on earth is heterosexual, as we all know here. So yes, I believe LGBT should be given a little lime light, because it's not often you hear about a gay rapper or something similar.

When you see a rapper, you think; "Oh gosh, that guy must objectify women" or "He get's so many girls" , when in reality, some of these rappers might be gay or DL.

So people have a perception of, when they see two guys walking down the street laughing it up, that they must be buddies. Never boyfriends.

Because society is or as it seems to be, has been programmed to only see Heterosexuality, which is again, unfair.

It's not totally that way anymore, but it's still pervasive in people's minds, which is anti-progressive, because obviously, heterosexuality is not the norm any more, if it ever was really.

In the time of Alexander the Great, men took other men as lovers alllll the time and it wasn't a big issue. Men actually encouraged it, especially at war, so it wasn't as if when two guys kissed, everyone felt like it was being rubbed in their face, but was more or less something to be appreciated or celebrated.

Not every man in this period was gay, but the love between men was something they accepted. Unlike now, when people see two guys kissing or holding hands, everyone feels like it's being forced on them to accept or like it, which isn't true, although it would be nice if they could.

Alexander the Great himself, had a male lover since he was in his teens, and he preferred him over his wife[or wives... can't remember]. He only got married to a woman, so he can have children, or more specifically a son.

So, in the end, I pretty much amend with my previous statement.

I believe Gays should be celebrated, or rather, seen as equal and not an unwelcomed blemish on society's face.

I don't believe we are forcing anything and we shouldn't either. Rather, just be content to be ourselves, and be the best we can be as people.

I believe strongly in the saying; "History repeats itself" Confusedmile: .

Loveya

QueenOdi Wrote:Cough... Actually Daddy, there's 3. Pellaz is one too Biglaugh .

Libra power! Cheerleader2 lol.

Loveya

Oh! snap...well that tips the scales Wink lol