Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Freddie is Dead. Final Words?
I didn't see that this was already posted so I wanted to make sure everyone got to see this response from Fred's son who is on the board for the non-profit group he founded called "Recovering From Religion." I'm including the link to the article and pasting the text below. Wavey

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...ers-death/

Nate Phelps, the estranged son of Westboro Baptist Church founder Fred Phelps, broke the news over the weekend that the elder Phelps was on the “edge of death.” Now that Fred is dead, Nate has issued a public statement by way of Recovering From Religion, a group for which he serves on the board.

Fred Phelps is now the past. The present and the future are for the living. Unfortunately, Fred’s ideas have not died with him, but live on, not just among the members of Westboro Baptist Church, but among the many communities and small minds that refuse to recognize the equality and humanity of our brothers and sisters on this small planet we share. I will mourn his passing, not for the man he was, but for the man he could have been. I deeply mourn the grief and pain felt by my family members denied their right to visit him in his final days. They deserved the right to finally have closure to decades of rejection, and that was stolen from them.

Even more, I mourn the ongoing injustices against the LGBT community, the unfortunate target of his 23 year campaign of hate. His life impacted many outside the walls of the WBC compound, uniting us across all spectrums of orientation and belief as we realized our strength lies in our commonalities, and not our differences. How many times have communities risen up together in a united wall against the harassment of my family? Differences have been set aside for that cause, tremendous and loving joint efforts mobilized within hours… and because of that, I ask this of everyone — let his death mean something. Let every mention of his name and of his church be a constant reminder of the tremendous good we are all capable of doing in our communities.

The lessons of my father were not unique to him, nor will this be the last we hear of his words, which are echoed from pulpits as close as other churches in Topeka, Kansas, where WBC headquarters remain, and as far away as Uganda. Let’s end the support of hateful and divisive teachings describing the LGBT community as “less than”, “sinful”, or “abnormal.” Embrace the LGBT community as our equals, our true brothers and sisters, by promoting equal rights for everyone, without exception. My father was a man of action, and I implore us all to embrace that small portion of his faulty legacy by doing the same.

Considering how much he has had to overcome since leaving Westboro, you could understand if Nate took the opportunity to say something much harsher. Instead, he reminds us to love each other and build our communities with a sense of inclusion. It’s a brilliant testimony to how far he has come — and how no one who grows up as a bigot has to remain that way.

Nate also spoke to Seth Andrews at The Thinking Atheist about the legacy of his father in an interview worth listening to:

Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

I don't have anything nice to say about the man.

That's one Fred down and one to go I'm referring to Australia's messenger of hate Fred Niles.

Fred Nile has never really bothered me Mum, I guess he doesn't have the same sort of profile and people in Australia have generally accepted that this man is uneducated and ignorant, so he has never really had enough respect outside his closed community to influence anyones opinions, other than to turn the mirror on himself and show a reflection of what hate looks like.

Australia has never been a country that has tolerated hate or hate speech.

dfiant Wrote:Fred Nile has never really bothered me Mum, I guess he doesn't have the same sort of profile and people in Australia have generally accepted that this man is uneducated and ignorant, so he has never really had enough respect outside his closed community to influence anyones opinions, other than to turn the mirror on himself and show a reflection of what hate looks like.

Love this reply dfiant and would LOVE to hear more on your thoughts about your country's tolerance in general as you describe and then for LGBT tolerance more specifically. I cannot imagine living in a world where the H8 is minimal but it sounds like your country is just that. Do I want to move? Yllove
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

dfiant Wrote:Fred Nile has never really bothered me Mum, I guess he doesn't have the same sort of profile and people in Australia have generally accepted that this man is uneducated and ignorant, so he has never really had enough respect outside his closed community to influence anyones opinions, other than to turn the mirror on himself and show a reflection of what hate looks like.

You are right , but the man just rubs me the wrong way,can't stand him.

CCRox Wrote:Love this reply dfiant and would LOVE to hear more on your thoughts about your country's tolerance in general as you describe and then for LGBT tolerance more specifically. I cannot imagine living in a world where the H8 is minimal but it sounds like your country is just that. Do I want to move? Yllove

Don't be mislead, there is just as much hate and just as many hate filled people as you would find anywhere else in the world, what I meant to imply is that the Australians are far more vocal when they encounter hate and hate speech.

Rainbowmum Wrote:You are right , but the man just rubs me the wrong way,can't stand him.

I used to be the same Mum.

Almost 12 months ago a very respected person in my life sat me down and said 'Darren, you have always tried to make people like you, even love you and most of these people don't deserve that from you so you are wasting energy on people who want to change you, who want you to be someone different and you try so hard to have them in your life, and guess what you are missing out on really? You are missing out on the love that you are being offered from those that already know you and don't care that you are gay, they don't care that you are honest...most of us appreciate that, they don't care about all those things about you, they embrace those things about you. It is why we honestly with all our hearts love you.

Now if people can't see that, why do you feel the need to make them like you, why are you wasting time and energy making something work when you already have something that works.

Darren, I ask you to walk into the room with your head held high and your should back and look at each and every person and instead of asking 'What can I do to make these people like more' or wonder 'Do these people like me', ask yourself 'Do i like these people.

In the last 12 months I have deleted 2/3 of the phone numbers from my phone, reduced my facebook friends from 800 or so down to about 90.

If I don't like you, I will tell you and nothing you say can bother me, because what you say is a reflection of the person you are...not the person I am.

Fred Nile is not popular, he has more detractors than supporters...his hate speech defines the person HE is.

The same goes for Phelps. His words never bothered me, his actions disgusted me and based on his actions I am not going to be made to feel guilt over celebrating this peice of garbage death by not aknowleding his prior existance.