Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finding a Job
NativeSon Wrote:Oh, boo-hoo-hoo, you big Bernie Sanders crybaby.

One thing to keep in mind about qualifications, even if you don't meet all the requirements, apply anyway...In my experience the requirements are meant to drive some people away...Be confident.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

So an update as I've been exploring options, I'll be pursuing the actuary position. Was recommended by a career counselor and spoke with someone through my school who gave me good advice on Monday. Probably the most difficult thing about my degree is it's rather broad, it doesn't have one specific job option and it needs to be marketed specifically. At any rate, I felt quite happy about taking the first step today in registering for an exam so I wanted to share.

PFt, shouldn't be too hard for someone as young as you to get a job.
IF I read it right, you have an education even.
So just try, write some notes about what stuff you're good at and such, write down good points about you. For the interview and for the application.
Write a CV of course.

Me on the other hand, I was dumb enough to not do anything for 7-8 years. And dropped out of school in the second half of the last year.
The education stuff i do have isn't bad, it's the 7 year of nothing that will make it hard for me.
My point, don't wait 7 years.
If you don't want to right now, don't wait more than 3 years. Every year after that will look more and more shit on your CV. EVerything below that is alright.

I've applied to roughly 130 jobs, but not in the field of being an actuary, that requires me passing some exams along the way. The fellow alum I spoke with said to just pass the first one then take it from there, employers like to see that you're already progressing. Plus who knows, he may have a position or know someone who would have a position for me. I'm at the point where I can't wait to get a job so I can get the hell out of this house.

Experts here say that you shouldn't feel like you're failing until you've tried applying for 300 jobs.
The job market is tough AF today, even though there's many more kind of jobs than there was when your grandmother was a kid Tongue
For most jobs, it's a good idea to have an education, if you want a steady job in it.

My dream job is working with kids again. Getting a temp job in a kindergarten or elementary school shouldn't be too hard, but getting a steady job in a kindergarten or school will be very hard for me since I have no education related to it.
But if I ever get a job relating to kids again, I will work very hard at it, and I know I'll be a great asset, so a temp job would most likely last for a few years.
But I've been thinking of trying to get an education related to it.

I haven't heard that before about the number of jobs, but this is certainly a better fit for me. If you really want why not pursue it?

Job hunting has gotten to be ridiculous. Positions that used to be filled with a short talk and a handshake seem to apply personnel departments, printed resumes/CV's and background investigations. The legal departments of employers are so busy covering themselves taht people who need work are easily demoralized in dealing with the process. Something needs to change. Keeping a uniform job history on file and not requiring resumes for non-salaried jobs might be a good start.
I bid NO Trump!

this may not appeal to you but offer your services for free = literally go to a place where you may think you can get a job and say give me a weeks trail for no money ...if im good enough then give me a trial period , no business owner will over look someone with that kind of commitment to be employed - you need to stand out from the crowd and all company's must have an in tray of applications overflowing - you need to be the one who has that different approach - yes you will be working for free but you need to be inside a company and mixing with the employees to show you have a good work attitude to give you the advantage over the application form people mate