Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friend making reject
Hi, I've been trying to make new friends recently which is nice but also hard for me. I struggle to talk to people as it is let along make friendships. So we have been talking for a short while and all the answers I seem to get are short 1 word answers that I have nothing there I can reply to. And when I ask random questions to try and find out something, they are always 1 word answers aswell. I don't know if this person wants to make friends or not.
Is it worth saying this person doesn't want friendship or??

From what you say here it sounds like you're wasting your time. Probably not what you wanted to hear, so let's apply some imagination...

Does the person involved speak the same language as you do, if not that may be the problem. He might be really enthusiastic to know you but doesn't have the words to express it.

In those few words you have exchanged, how do the positives weigh against the negatives?

Have you tried varying the content of your attempted conversation? You might simply not have hit on the thing that will fire you both up and get you going (in the conversational sense!).

There may be other reasons, give us more information and there'll be people along happy to advise.

If you really can't get through it's probably best to move on. To use the cliché, the world is full of friends you just haven't met yet. Happy hunting.

If you are only getting one word answers, then perhaps your only asking one word questions....

In other words, your not asking the correct question.

i.e. Q1. What day is tomorrow? A. Thursday

Q2. What are you doing tomorrow? A. Im working tomorrow, then going out for dinner at 7pm, and a
beer afterwards. What are you doing and do you want to met for drinks?

So the structure of your question may be allowing one word answers - knows as a closed question.

As cardiman says, the language your communicating in may make a difference.

Good Luck!

ObW
x

They also might not be big on texting. Maybe set up some hang-out time.

Trying to read emotions from a text is about as difficult as nailing a jellyfish to a tree.
Ask him out for coffee or a movie.

Try asking open ended questions that need elaboration. So for example, "what do you think about that? What happened at the party? What did that guy say to you? How do you feel about that? What do you think about (fill in the blank news event)"