Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friends
How do gay men make friends? Example, I met a man at bar, he was attractive but I wasn't attracted to him. No chemistry. Although he was smart, fun to talk to, sense of humor. And I thought I would like to see this guy again. So at the end of the night I gave him my phone number and said lets go out for coffee sometime. A few days later he told me he couldn't call me because he had a boyfriend. And of course with my big mouth said. I asked to drink coffee with you not to marry and fuck you. That's all it was, I thought I could make a new friend. Can't gay men have gay men friends? Is this high school?

in the infamous words of a band I can't remember

"High School never ends"

i beg to differ, im at high school and i have a gay friend, and he has a boyfriend, but im younger i find it much easier to make friends i would think

I've met plenty of people at the local gay pub and they've become pub friends. That's generally where I see them and we talk there. Some are in couples, some are singles, some (like me) go for a drink and a chat after work, but are not on the lookout for anything else. One man, who's even older than I am, has just taken up playing electric guitar, so he likes to talk music; I sometimes take in delicious French and Swiss chocolate for another couple of friends and we talk about anything and everything; one of them even made me a pot of delicious home made jam in return which he brought in last Thursday. The guitar man came to see my band at work on Saturday night and spent our break discussing guitars with my guitarist. Much to my great surprise I've been hit on a few times, but people always understand when I explain. There are plenty of people there I don't know and have no real intention of bothering, but I do try to be friendly. It doesn't come that easily to me. Saint Louis sounds less friendly than King's Lynn!

High School Never Ends by Bowling for Soup ...?

I have "pub" friends, I mean I want real friends that you can go out with, have fun with, see outside the bar. Or drop by for tea, coffee, beer. I literally have no friends except as you put it "pub" friends.

Okay, I see what you mean. Actually, while I have lots of acquaintances I suppose I have very few friends of the sort you mention. Let me see, apart from PA (who is definitely a special case - not to mention being over 600 miles away at the moment). My closest friend is straight. We work together sometimes and we occasionally go to concerts together or meet up for coffee when we happen to be working near each other. His wife is fine about us spending some time together. I think she is unusual. When I was married my wife made it very difficult to cultivate friendships - but then she suspected I was off having sex with every man I spoke to - and I lost touch with lots of people, some of whom I am finding again thanks to the wonders of the web. I guess those closest to me are mostly people I work with. Maybe it works for us because as freelance musicians we're all involved in several projects and not seeing the same people every day?

I your friends are friends then it shouldn't matter that they be gay or straight because there would never be any sexual attraction... What do you really need, just friends (whatever their orientation) or gay friends?

Friends of any orientation But I only know gay people because I hang out at gay bars. I don't care what their sexuality is. I just find it sophmoric that when you meet someone and you like them, not romantically, and would like to see them again, they come up with "I have a partner" And my pat answer is always the same. "I didn't want to fuck you, I just thought we could be friends"