Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Funny tech conversations with parents / grandparents
LJay Wrote:I can empathize. I just don't need a lot of that stuff so I don't bother to learn it. Facebook repels me. Twitter is beyond me and I still know how to write letters on paper. I don't have a smart phone because I can't afford it. I do like my dumb phone because it is set up so that I only need to pay about $25 per year for service.

I really appreciate all that. Facebook is fucking horrendous. Twitter is just pathetic little bits of nothing much. Smart phones are fucking dumb.

Haha yeah, it's always going on like that, always been like that. I can call myself "lucky" to be in the generation right between Snapchat and cassette players. Of course things will continue to change!

To mention another example from the opposite perspective, I once got asked by a teenager if we already had bank cards in the 90s Wink

No offence, I hope noone takes this too serious! Smile

johnny196775 Wrote:Making fun of people For not knowing what you know is not nice.

Yes, but this can be really infuriating. If we couldn't laugh at our parents / grandparents for this then we'd probably end up killing them.

You'd be surprised how many of us older folks are really tech savvy, but pretend to be dunces just so we can get the younger generation to pay a little attention to us. Parents use this ploy so the kids will speak to them. Grandparents are very sly when it comes to finding ways to get the grand kids over for a few hours.

When my 87 year old neighbor gets a little lonely,,, she will call me up and ask me to come over and change her clock because it's a couple minutes slow. Just yesterday she asked me to come over because she couldn't find her ashtray,,, when I arrived,,, it was setting in the usual place. Her latest thing is; she can't seem to adjust her thermostat,,,, so I go over and set the temperature up or down to please her,, and then we set down in her kitchen and she tells me all about her life - which she's already told me the same stories a hundred times. She's a widower and lonely,,, so I listen to the same stories over & over again and it makes her happy to have some company for awhile.

Come to think of it,,,,,, I may call my cute neighbor today and ask him to come over and help me with my new computer. I'll put it in Safe Mode and let him figure out what I did (big grin)... He gets to help a grey haired old neighbor and I get the pleasure of his company for a few minutes!!!!

Suddenly helpless,
Jim
We Have Elvis !!

You might find the Elders React series fun.

Here's Elders React to ERBOH:

And Elders React to Vocaloids:

Obviously, any elders who agree to be in that series is going to be more open minded than usual (and someone the crew can stand).

Though some have fun exposing kids to technology from before their time, like this:

It's fun, IMO. But I wonder how many who talk about how dumb those kids are could've worked a film projector at their age, the type of cameras used before they were born, or instantly know how to use a brake clutch (unless they rode around a lot in a vehicle with one while growing up).

I had a fight with my Mom the other day because she insisted her iphone did not have a text message conversation history. "You have an android, it's not the same!" she insisted. I just stopped the conversation and moved onto something else before I hung up on her.