Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Independent Scotland
So if Scotland becomes independent and part of the EU - I wonder if a wall needs to be built between the 2 countries being England and Scotland?

No wall needs to be built, people won't be rushing to move across to and from either country.

Nicola Sturgeon is passionate but its almost like she will have referendum after referendum until she gets what she sees as the right answer. I don't have any issue if Scotland want their independence however people need to respect the result of the referendum if they have a second one, regardless if they get the same result as the one they previously had.

Well, Trump would totally dig that. Maybe they can just pimp Hadrian's wall out.

In all seriousness, I often wonder about the feasibility of of independence in terms of economic capabilities. As far as I know London still produces a hefty share (a third?) of the entire island's tax revenue.

Another thing that worries me about these referendums is the ease with which any result can be taken when it's a 50+1 simple majority bit. Major decisions like this, with extended geopolitical effects, shouldn't be be taken without at least 2/3 of the votes. That's just my opinion.

I say this, even when it's not my country, because the effects of the Brexit vote a while ago are being felt even here in terms of economic uncertainty.

Talking about that, it is a bit curious reading about the Brexit vote and noting how many people say things like "the will of the people" about that 52% that voted out. 52% vs 48% is hardly statistically significant (within a 5% error margin) to say one or the other.

I make a parallel with the issue in Scotland because it is fairly similar. It was too close a vote to say "people want to stay" and if it was the other way around, the same.

That aside, does Scotland even meet the requirements for EU admision? You guys can answer this for me, I am not particularly aware of the main features of Scottish economy.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

Not sure if Scotland on its own can survive as they don't manufacture much and export to make money apart from oil and whiskey