Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
G-A-Y to serve McDonald’s to comply with ‘substantial meal’ guidelines
The owner of London’s Heaven nightclub says it will serve meals from McDonald’s in order to comply with the guidelines after reopening as a bar.

[Image: PRI_174055873-640x360.jpg]
G-A-Y owner Jeremy Joseph said his nightclub-turned-bar would be partnering with a local McDonald’s to comply with guidelines.

London’s Heaven nightclub, home to G-A-Y, is to offer McDonald’s meals to meet the Government’s coronavirus rules after reopening as a bar.

The current lockdown ends on 2 December and London has been classified as tier two. This means that hospitality venues will be able to open and serve alcohol but only if it is accompanied by “a substantial meal”.

To comply with these rules, Heaven patrons will have to order McDonald’s meals alongside drinks. The food will be supplied by the fast-food chain’s Strand branch – located just 130 metres away.

Announcing the news on social media, G-A-Y owner Jeremy Joseph revealed that the venue would open between 6pm and 11pm on Saturday 5 December with a set from West End performer and former Eurovision contestant Lucie Jones.

‘Team up’
Mr Joseph tweeted that the venue “has teamed up with McDonalds” to offer food, adding: “The Show Must Go On. Even in Tier 2”.

Nightclubs have been banned from opening since the pandemic began in March, but like many venues Heaven has installed table seating on its former dancefloor and is operating under provisions for bars and restaurants. Mr Joseph said previously: “While we can’t be a nightclub, we can become the biggest LGBT bar in the UK.”

The popular club night G-A-Y moved from the Astoria to Heaven in 2008 and has had performances from the likes of Adele, Lady Gaga and One Direction.

Mr Joseph, who also owns G-A-Y Manchester and Soho’s G-A-Y Bar, has previously warned about the impact of government restrictions on his venues.

In October, he sought to bring legal action over the imposition of a 10pm hospitality curfew, which he said “makes absolutely no sense” and “does the opposite of protecting people by pushing them onto the street at the same time.” Though his legal challenge did not succeed, the curfew rules have been substantially rewritten ahead of 2 December.

Pandemic has impacted LGBT venues

London mayor Sadiq Khan previously announced emergency funding for eleven LGBT venues in London.

He said: “The pandemic has had a significant impact on our LGBTQ+ venues, which we know play a vital role in supporting the community, acting as a safe haven where they can feel comfortable and free to be who they are.

“That’s why we’ve been working hard to protect these spaces and why city hall is providing investment and support at a critical time for our venues to help secure a future for our vibrant LGBTQ+ scene across the capital.”

Mr Joseph is not an uncontroversial figure, attracting anger from some in the LGBT community in 2016 when he made comments insinuating “scum bags, Somalians, drug dealers” were to blame for rising crime in the city.
Note: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant free message. However, I do concede, a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Wow, dinner, drinks and the virus, all in one place. Merry Xmas
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.
[-] The following 1 member Likes Bhp91126's post:
  • andy

I have seen many clubs around here doing the same thing, offering drinks and food, just to keep their doors open. The McDonald's foo idea, however, sounds creepy to me x)
[-] The following 1 member Likes BlueStar's post:
  • andy

Yeah, I think it's a bit too fast. I can understand they want to bring in the money to keep afloat but the government should intervene with some more grants or cheap loans instead.

Most of the pubs around here when they were open were taken over by 18-21 friend groups from the local colleges. They seem pretty fearless and think that they will not take it badly and recover fast if they get C19.
Note: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant free message. However, I do concede, a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.