Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GCSE's
Smurlos Wrote:I like French. All I say is, thank god there's only accusative and nominitve - and the occasional dative but only in personal pronouns like leur, leurs, moi etc. I generally like French grammar, I just find that its very much idiomatic... i.e. phrases that when literally translated make no sense whatsoever :tongue:

They might make more sense to a speaker or a Latin based language than to an Anglo-Saxon based speaker, indeed. But then English is also full of idiomatic phrases. Look at Well done! the literal translation of which ought to be Bien fait! but Bien fait! means It serves you right! whereas Well done! means bravo, congratulations. Not quite the same meaning.

princealbertofb Wrote:They might make more sense to a speaker or a Latin based language than to an Anglo-Saxon based speaker, indeed. But then English is also full of idiomatic phrases. Look at Well done! the literal translation of which ought to be Bien fait! but Bien fait! means It serves you right! whereas Well done! means bravo, congratulations. Not quite the same meaning.

I don't think well done is an idiomatic phrase in English. It literally means what it is. Done well. I.e. congratulations. Bien fait would be a direct translation of well done but is not infact well done but serves you right!, so I would say that bien fait! were the idiomatic expression...

One phrase I like if I remember rightly is Au pied de la lettre which means literally if I remember correctly?

I also find it funny that there's no direct verb for blame so you have to resort to a phrase, jeter la responsibilite sur quelqu'un if my memory is functioning for once? (there shld be accents but my laptop does not permit me to type them in and I can't be bothered to copy and paste from word). I know this example isn't an idiom coz it literally does mean blame when you think about the meaning but I think it's funny there's no single verb Confusedmile:

Smurlos Wrote:... I know this example isn't an idiom coz it literally does mean blame when you think about the meaning but I think it's funny there's no single verb Confusedmile:
Would you say that language says a lot about the culture of its creation? According to Terry Darlington, in his book Narrow Dog To Carcassonne - "English works the other way round to French. The Englishman has been brought up to feel remorse at being born and causing inconvenience to others, while the Frenchman sees no reason to apologise."

Of course, I couldn't possibly comment Rolleyes , but if true, the French would have no real use for a single verb meaning "to blame"!

marshlander Wrote:Would you say that language says a lot about the culture of its creation? According to Terry Darlington, in his book Narrow Dog To Carcassonne - "English works the other way round to French. The Englishman has been brought up to feel remorse at being born and causing inconvenience to others, while the Frenchman sees no reason to apologise."

Of course, I couldn't possibly comment Rolleyes , but if true, the French would have no real use for a single verb meaning "to blame"!

This is very true actually... however I would say like with everything there are exceptions to rules and everyone is different... maybe there are areas in France that are different and hence why a phrase arose to be able to say blame I really wouldn't know about that though - or maybe it was a translation need?

Smurlos Wrote:I don't think well done is an idiomatic phrase in English. It literally means what it is. Done well. I.e. congratulations. Bien fait would be a direct translation of well done but is not infact well done but serves you right!, so I would say that bien fait! were the idiomatic expression...

One phrase I like if I remember rightly is Au pied de la lettre which means literally if I remember correctly?

I also find it funny that there's no direct verb for blame so you have to resort to a phrase, jeter la responsibilite sur quelqu'un if my memory is functioning for once? (there shld be accents but my laptop does not permit me to type them in and I can't be bothered to copy and paste from word). I know this example isn't an idiom coz it literally does mean blame when you think about the meaning but I think it's funny there's no single verb Confusedmile:

I see what you mean. Actually blâmer does exist but it's not much in use. It really means to throw the responsibility for something bad on someone. French is often convoluted because it's wordy. English is much more succinct.
Have you also noticed, Carl, how in French we HAVE things and in English people ARE things...
J'AI faim ===> I AM hungry
J'AI soif ===> I AM thirsty
J'AI peur ===> I AM afraid

marshlander Wrote:Would you say that language says a lot about the culture of its creation? According to Terry Darlington, in his book Narrow Dog To Carcassonne - "English works the other way round to French. The Englishman has been brought up to feel remorse at being born and causing inconvenience to others, while the Frenchman sees no reason to apologise."

Very funny, sweetheart, but indeed the English spend their time apologising ... but they never really mean it (that's what I once heard a friend say). Could it be why the English are referred to as La Perfide Albion?

PS I was once accused of being too British (ie always apologising but not meaning it). I don't know what to think.

This should make the GCSEs easier to revise for... lol.