their - belongin 2 them
they're - they are
there - that place i.e 'over there'
its - belonging to it, 'the snail heaved its shell'
it's - it is, i.e 'it's a snail, no, it's a slug'
no - the negative
know - to know, as in 'i know the answer'
shouldn't have surely? (dunno tht 1...)
sori, i love grammer, 'grammer...is one of the greatest joy's in life...don't you find?'
xoxo

Actually, it's can also be it has... it's been ages since I last saw you (which, you'll agree, can be confusing to someone learning the language)

as for shouldn't have, that's the correct grammar, shouldn't of is incorrect but because 've and of sound the same it is often a mistake.

Smurlos Wrote:I've always spelled it ar on the end... but teachers used to put "er" on my work... so now I'm completely confused... :confused:

So I was right all along with grammar?! *Shakes fists*

If they wrote ER maybe it was short for ERror???

My mother can never spell rehearsal correctly, which is really strange as her English is spiffing... she always ends up spelling it rehearsel (I think) like travel. But rehearsal is like arrival, terminal, general... (one of those endings)

Yes, it is grammAR, Smurlos, like liAR, or guitAR...

i've been spelling grammAR wrong my whole life?
can anyone see the irony in that, oh, i do h8 irony
unless it's funny
so, 4 exams left, nd then 10 month summer
can't wait
xoxo

Never had a problem with English,in fact I was a darn good Shakespearean scholar,my Afrikaans on the other hand...Don't you guys have spelling bees there?We used to a lot of them and I still remember my grade 7 winning word : D-E-B-T.I was so chuffed,was just one more championship from being a nerd though.I had strict but passionate English teachers,I still talk to Mr Pringle."A gentleman never corrects grammar but I do have to intervene".English is a beautiful language.

Dan1089 Wrote:Never had a problem with English,in fact I was a darn good Shakespearean scholar,my Afrikaans on the other hand...Don't you guys have spelling bees there?We used to a lot of them and I still remember my grade 7 winning word : D-E-B-T.I was so chuffed,was just one more championship from being a nerd though.I had strict but passionate English teachers,I still talk to Mr Pringle."A gentleman never corrects grammar but I do have to intervene".English is a beautiful language.

Don't know about beautiful :tongue: But I can see it as being a complicated language to master... I'm just glad I grew up here and acquired it as a mother tongue :biggrin:

I don't agree with you on that one Smurls,English isn't complicated at all and people in the most remote of areas manage to speak it fluently.Example here in SA,there are 11 official languages (incl English) and here,black children (9 of the languages are African origin) have to be fluent in at least 3 languages,and they handle English with ease.It's pretty fascinating to hear them converse in multiple languages at the same time.Strange how SAns have problems with their own mother tongues but not English.

Dan1089 Wrote:I don't agree with you on that one Smurls,English isn't complicated at all and people in the most remote of areas manage to speak it fluently.Example here in SA,there are 11 official languages (incl English) and here,black children (9 of the languages are African origin) have to be fluent in at least 3 languages,and they handle English with ease.It's pretty fascinating to hear them converse in multiple languages at the same time.Strange how SAns have problems with their own mother tongues but not English.

Really? I see english as a language that doesn't particularly have many rules, a lot of things you just have to learn you know? Like in german all verbs end in "en" or "eln" or "ln" or something of the like. And then you do this for 3rd person singular etc. etc. whereas english isn't really like that... and we have so many particle words that we shove in here and there...

So we agree that English is pretty a simple language?IMO,it's a breeze compared to Afrikaans as it is more straight to the point than English.For example,in English,I'd say,"I'm not hungry" but in Afrikaans I say "Ek is nie honger nie".

Smurlos Wrote:Really? I see english as a language that doesn't particularly have many rules, a lot of things you just have to learn you know? Like in german all verbs end in "en" or "eln" or "ln" or something of the like. And then you do this for 3rd person singular etc. etc. whereas english isn't really like that... and we have so many particle words that we shove in here and there...

You're not big on grammar in England, are you? Mind you things are getting worse here too and now the kids don't know their language properly, which makes it difficult to learn new ones. Apart from that the rules of English grammar are quite simple really. I often pity those who have to learn French which is very convoluted... but I remember Russian being difficult too, with declensions and all.

princealbertofb Wrote:You're not big on grammar in England, are you? Mind you things are getting worse here too and now the kids don't know their language properly, which makes it difficult to learn new ones. Apart from that the rules of English grammar are quite simple really. I often pity those who have to learn French which is very convoluted... but I remember Russian being difficult too, with declensions and all.

I like French. All I say is, thank god there's only accusative and nominitve - and the occasional dative but only in personal pronouns like leur, leurs, moi etc. I generally like French grammar, I just find that its very much idiomatic... i.e. phrases that when literally translated make no sense whatsoever :tongue: