Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GLBT Power; Underdogs, or Masters of the Universe.
Think about it. How much raw political and economic power does GLBT have? Well, we kind of know, we kind of don't know, and we often do not like to discuss it. The reason is simple, sympathy is helpful in a political movement, so by being the underdog we get a lot of quick support.

When we in marketing looking at groups to advertise and sell products to we see that GLBT buying power in 2008 was $712,000,000,000, on average higher than any other minority group. It would be fair to say that GLBT are educated, affluent, and organized. And remember a street hustler can become an executive by picking the right bed, and things can happen quickly. Certainly faster than in any other group I know of. Disgusting? Depends on your take. I was trained to believe that it does not matter how you get the job, what matters is what you do with it when you get the opportunity. I got my first job with family contacts. But, I have also seen a hustler beat a Harvard grad for a job.

Let's take an example from the past, that is a little hard to believe, but will make the point. In the early 20th century J. P. Morgan was the richest most powerful person in America, and was gay. Morgan was so powerful that when the economy was turning to panic, President Theodore Roosevelt called him and asked him for help. Morgan turned it all around using his influence as the most powerful person in the United States.

Do you think GLBT just let that power go when Morgan passed? The firm he founded is still one of America's leading investment banks. Today the name of the firm is J. P. Morgan Chase. Ring any bells?

Come on now, we all know that we GLBT love to keep secrets. We have a gossip grapevine that extends into the board room of every corporation and the halls of government. We know GLBT life is tough, and we are a cautious people when it comes to reaching out to our own. On the other hand when we do good deeds, we frequently do not like to advertise who we are.

Did you know that a GLBT man in Houston, Texas died of AIDS and left 1200 apartment units to the GLBT community! Oh yeah, and this is not rare. Who do we have to leave inheritance to that deeply matters? In the end it is those who make love as we do. There is a power structure out there, but how do you break into it? You might want to remember that the correct answer to this question can open a lot of doors with any people. "What have YOU done for me, today?" Don't "ask" for a job, "tell" the potential employer what you will do for them. And, please do not say, "I will give my best," be thoughtful, realistic, respectful, and LISTEN with your eyes as well as your ears.

You really can not blame the GLBT power elite for being hesitant. They worked hard to build what they have, and they are not going to risk opening up themselves for a piece of ass. This is a cautious game, but the GLBT power elite are probably drinking in the same bars you and I are. They are watching everything. A drunk screaming at his boyfriend is not going to be welcomed into the fringes of the GLBT elite. When you are out in a public GLBT place the spotlight is on everyone. Keep in mind the old cliche of the three forms of GLBT communication. telephone, television, and tela-queer.

There is a story about Joe Kennedy, (JFK's dad) who was in the White House to see President Franklin Roosevelt in the 1930s. Kennedy entered the Oval Office and FDR said, "Joe, drop your pants." Kennedy responded in amazement, "What?" FDR said, "I am your President, and I just asked you to drop your pants in my office." the powerful Joe Kennedy dropped his pants. FDR responded, "Remember that, I am naming you Ambassador to the UK." Well, my mentor loves that story, and pulled it on me in a staff meeting of 12 people. Was I embarrassed - of course. But, I did it without a question. To me GLBT politics is war. I am only a soldier and help any way I can. It is a simple question of attitude. People want to work with me because I will fly to Phoenix on a moments notice, or go pick up coffee and rolls for ten. The name of the game is "win." Success is expected, not desired.

I have known about the "gay power structure" for awhile now, but what exactly is the point of this. Not trying to be rude. I really am lost.

The problem is the economic trends are largely the effect of report bias. First of all, bisexuals are largely ignored in all of these figures, and they likely make up the largest component of the LGBT community. Secondly, ethnic minorities report gay identity much less than white people, so we erase the effects of systemic racism from the figures. Living a gay identity for much of the 90s and early 21s century has been something of a bourgeois, white and middle class identity. That leads to the consumerist model of the pink dollar, after all gays are young and unattached with disposable income, at least the visible ones are.

Then we should consider how lesbians would fit into this, where often lesbian partnerships have to deal with the problem of two female incomes, often having much less earning power than a heterosexual or gay couple.

Some rich people have been gay, lots of poor people have been gay, I don't think that reflects any particular social power. Also, I don't think J.P. Morgan was gay.

1. We do have a lot of power as a minority I will agree to that.
2. Since when is J.P Morgan gay?

OrphanPip Wrote:The problem is the economic trends are largely the effect of report bias. First of all, bisexuals are largely ignored in all of these figures, and they likely make up the largest component of the LGBT community. Secondly, ethnic minorities report gay identity much less than white people, so we erase the effects of systemic racism from the figures. Living a gay identity for much of the 90s and early 21s century has been something of a bourgeois, white and middle class identity. That leads to the consumerist model of the pink dollar, after all gays are young and unattached with disposable income, at least the visible ones are.

Then we should consider how lesbians would fit into this, where often lesbian partnerships have to deal with the problem of two female incomes, often having much less earning power than a heterosexual or gay couple.

Some rich people have been gay, lots of poor people have been gay, I don't think that reflects any particular social power. Also, I don't think J.P. Morgan was gay.
That's an interesting observation. Anything to back it up? I don't really have any data to contradict it, but I from personal experience I have met more gay black men that are out of the closet, than gay white men.

The US census data from 2010, which is flawed because it only counted people in same-sex relationships, it didn't ask single people if they were gay, puts the figures at 78% non-hispanic white, 8% black, and 9% hispanic.

Non-hispanic whies are 63.7% of the US population just to put that into perspective, hispanics are around 13 and blacks around 12.

http://2010.census.gov/partners/pdf/fact...l_LGBT.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographic...ted_States

It's tough to address how racial minorities are being excluded though, they might not be hiding their identity, they could for example be less likely to be in a relationship.

Depends on what you consider to be LGBT Political power.

If you mean just the ones out there seen, then not that much power.

If, on the other hand, you include the 'silent partners' in the politics, those of us who hide behind the curtain in every aspect of society gently tugging at strings winning minor 'talking' battles, and not mentioning what it is they are really doing, then that power is great and terrible (Just ignore the man behind the curtain).

Like it or not, it is the man who people confess to that has the most power when it comes to the politics. The 'quiet talker' who gently nudges (some times gives a heave ho shove Wink ) that does the most in changing public opinion. The one who listens, advises in gentle undertones does the most to mold the minds needed.

J.P. Morgan is an example of obvious power. That street hustler that rises to power is yet another example of obvious power. The street hustler who stays on the streets and uses minor words of wit to gently mold the minds of the right John wields far much more power than Morgan, or the hustler who has become a CEO.

A lot of changes of the public's views didn't take place in board rooms, nor in the pulpits. Those changes took place at the family dinning room table as a son or a daughter 'confessed'. Those changes came at the hands of death as gays committed suicide, on purpose or otherwise, thus changing the harder hearts of their loved ones. Those millions of private moments where a loved one 'got it' changing their mind and their heart. That did far much more to change public opinion over the push of the so called Agenda.

It is us who shared our lives, reached out to our neighbor in their our of need without slapping 'gay' in their face that slowly convinced them that 'gay ain't bad'. It is us who lead by example that hold far much more power than some politician who blows lots of hot air.

If you can count all of those people, then yes, the Political Power held by the whole of the LGBT, no matter what their political leanings are, is great and terrible.

We are a small minority. I think in terms of power and influence we don't do that badly for a small minority, but we are still a small minority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

we are a moderately tiny fragile people facing huge m-majorities. yes i think there are more gay people now and in a far off future better life everyone could accept themselves. For now the numbers are like 4% average.

reading between the lines; the GLBT effort for recognition of partnership and marriage has funding issues. Even if they had the funds do they have the skillz.

gay salaries are not outstanding, the lesbian population seems to some better success here. Maybe society will allow the next generation gay to diversify. The US, GLBT rights would move faster if we had another H.Milk or Dr.King equivalent. maybe it is happening now?

Most elections here in the US are decided on 1-3%.
On another forum, i posted a while back, would anyone be willing to vote for a less than personally acceptable candidate. Just to demonstrate the gay population could swing a election. Well no one wanted to do this. Combining the apathetic none voting and the "never in my life would vote for" this or that type i got the strong impression a swing vote very not possible.

how is the national GLBT morphing the concept of common good? for example a local recent GLBT issue in Colorado:
there is an organization funded by the Gill Foundation. the fund was setup by Tim Gill and his success in his ventures (Quark, Inc., ~1985's).
Now retired, a question is; is he re directing his efforts to a more interactive political because there is sufficient moneys in the foundation but there are cut backs like connexion.org went off line combined with OutBoard.org and the closure of the Colorado Springs office.
what is the next trick, if any?

Yes, I too have never heard this said about J.P. Morgan. I do know the poet James Merrill was gay and he was the son of Charles Merill of Merrill Lynch, but he was not a power broker himself in any way.