Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Garlic. mmmm
[Image: who_uses_3_cloves_of_garlic_thats_dumb.jpg]

Let's talk about garlic.

My favourite way to eat garlic is: roasted in olive oil and anchovies and spread on crunchy bread.

Other favourite way:
Korean food. A baby cos lettuce leaf with a slice of raw garlic, grilled pork, ssamjang, and a slice of chilli.
oh my god.

I don't like food or drink so strong you can smell it through through the skin

I like garlic but it's hard to digest. Sad

Yes!

That is all.

Lilitu Wrote:[Image: who_uses_3_cloves_of_garlic_thats_dumb.jpg]

My thoughts exactly.

Haha, garlic is just awsome. I use it in most dishes I make. But garlic sauces omg <3 Garlic sauce on potato pancake, langos. Garlic potato chips. Garlic dip. Garlic everywhere <3
But yeah, the bad breath is a downside. One must pay a price for the ultimate flavour

I love garlic, i actually want to marry it. My fav is also a crunchy garlic bread, i can demolish a baguette in minutes. Ive never actually handeled a raw bulb. I went to burger king today, and with my whopper had 5 garlic cheese bites, hmm not bad.

Jeff Smith "Garlic Garlic Garlic"!!

Part 1

Part 2

Jeff Smith believes you cannot put "too much" onion or garlic in any dish.
I believe that also!!!!

Roasted Garlic Soup

Ingredients
6 large whole heads garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons salt, divided
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper, divided
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups water
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 cup heavy cream, if desired
2 tablespoons minced fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Asiago Crostini, recipe follows
Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Cut the tops off the garlic heads just to expose the bulbs and remove any excess papery skins. Place in a large sheet of aluminum foil and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper. Close the foil around them, leaving a space between the tops and the foil, and place on a baking sheet in the oven. Roast until soft and fragrant, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Remove, cool, and squeeze out the garlic into a bowl.

In a large, heavy soup pot (preferably enameled cast iron) over medium-high heat, melt the butter, add the roasted garlic, and cook for 5 minutes. Add in the flour and cook until a dark golden roux is achieved, an additional 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently. Add 1 cup chicken stock, incorporate, and repeat until all the chicken stock had been added. Repeat with the water. Add the Italian seasoning, remaining salt and pepper, and stir to combine well. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Add in the cream, if using, cook for 10 minutes more at a very low simmer, stirring occasionally. Adjust the seasoning, if needed, and serve garnished with a sprinkle of the parsley and a fresh drizzle of the extra virgin olive oil. Serve with Asiago Crostini.

Cook Time 2 hours 10 minutes
Asiago Crostini:
1/3 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon hot Hungarian paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
1 sourdough baguette, sliced into 1-inch thick pieces, cut slightly on diagonal
1/2 cup shredded Asiago cheese
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

In a small bowl, combine the oil, garlic, and spices and mix well. Place the bread slices on a parchment-lined baking sheet.

With a basting brush, coat each piece with the oil-spice mixture. Sprinkle each slice with about 1 teaspoon of the shredded cheese.

Place in the oven and cook until cheese is melted and bread is starting to crisp and darken around the edges, 8 to 10 minutes.

Remove and let cool before serving.

[Image: GI0907_Roasted-Garlic-Soup_s4x3_lg.jpg]

Savory Garlic Ice Cream
by THE GILDED FORK

We REALLY love ice cream. So much so, in fact, that we’ve been known to even sneak it into a meal. But savory ice cream? Strange as it may seem, garlic ice cream is very similar to a garlic custard in taste, but boasts the cool smoothness and creaminess we love in an ice cream. It’s like a savory crème anglaise in frozen form. The touch of honey helps to develop the natural sweetness of the garlic and balance the savory quality. Try one bite of this cool sensation with luscious mashed potatoes, steamed green beans or the crispy crust of a grilled steak – we guarantee it will send your tastebuds soaring and swooning for more!

Yields 1 quart

Ingredients

2 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
6 egg yolks
1 tablespoon honey
Pinch of salt
Pinch of white pepper

Equipment

Ice cream machine

Preparation

In a saucepan, gently heat the milk, cream and garlic just until steaming and small bubbles form around the edges of the pan. Remove from the heat, cover, and let infuse for 20 minutes.

Place a medium-sized bowl inside of a larger bowl filled with ice water. Set aside.

Half-fill a clean saucepan with water and heat over medium heat until just simmering. In a separate large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and honey until smooth and pale yellow. Reheat the cream mixture just until it begins to steam, not letting it boil, and in a slow and steady stream, add it into the yolks, whisking briskly as you pour.

[Chef’s Note: This step is called tempering the eggs. Slowly bring the eggs up to temperature by adding a little hot liquid at a time so as not to shock, and cook them by adding the hot liquid all at once.]

Stir the mixture together thoroughly and then place the bowl over the saucepan of simmering water. Stir slowly but constantly until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, but do not bring to a boil or it will most likely curdle. Using a fine mesh sieve, strain the ice cream base into the medium bowl that is set in the larger bowl of ice water. Let cool completely and then freeze the custard in an ice-cream machine according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

Service

Serve as an accoutrement atop mashed potatoes or a piece of meat for a creamy contrast and surprising zing to any meal.