Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay Amish
Inchante Wrote:They don't have those forms of punishment in the Amish community. In one section of the documentary above, they talk about spanking. I think that would probably be the closest thing to violence they know. If two men were found together, they would be shunned from the community, and pushed out into the modern world, which would probably be better for them anyway.

The stocks and the docking stool would be considered cruel and unusual punishment, and thus would be illegal here. Just because they are an entirely different culture does not mean they are exempt from the laws which govern the rest of the country.

I agree. Perhaps being pushed out of the community is the real punishment then? If they're so tight-knit.

And yeah, that's why we don't use the docking stool any more. It was recorded that a few people involuntarily drowned(cause there were a few who chose it).

pellaz Wrote:anyone can leave.

I think that is what I said.

QueenOdi Wrote:I agree. Perhaps being pushed out of the community is the real punishment then? If they're so tight-knit.

And yeah, that's why we don't use the docking stool any more. It was recorded that a few people involuntarily drowned(cause there were a few who chose it).

Yes, that would be the punishment. Though, I think that that would be a blessing in disguise if one were gay.

pellaz Wrote:anyone can leave.

Or did you mean that anyone can go on Rumspringa at any time in their life? If that is what you are saying, I had not heard that before. It would certainly add another dimension to it.

Rumspringa is a one time thing, around the age of 18, you can't repeat it.

Inchante, don't be so naive, we don't really know how violent they are as they don't have a real relationship with any police, the de facto law is: since the Amish don't bother us, we won't interfere with anything they do. So domestic violence (which is believed to be just as high as anywhere else) is never reported, women are expected to be obedient and must listen to their follow their husbands word like law. It's really quite an oppressive community (especially for women) and we really dont know anything except what they choose to show us.
As for being thrown out of their community being a blessing in disguise, I'm not sure, a true blessing would to be accepted and allowed to live your life how you want as long as you don't hurt anyone, etc.
These people when thrown out have little education (the Amish are exempt from the laws that require people to send their kids to school until a certain age). They also have no modern skills, for example they may know agriculture but only how do it in a 19'th century way, which means they wouldn't even know how to work in a modern farm. They also have no contacts in the outside world. Who knows how they will transition to "normal" life if at all. I'm sure the documentary you saw had to be approved by church elders in order to get access.

Person66 Wrote:I'm not sure, a true blessing would to be accepted and allowed to live your life how you want as long as you don't hurt anyone, etc.

I believe that that would be the point I have been driving at this entire time, a point that would render the rest of your argument mute as well.

Person66 Wrote:I'm not sure, a true blessing would to be accepted and allowed to live your life how you want as long as you don't hurt anyone, etc.

I believe that that would be the point I have been driving at this entire time, a point that would render the rest of your argument mute as well.

[Image: one-way-street-two-way-traffic-ahead.jpg]

Inchante Wrote:Yes, that would be the punishment. Though, I think that that would be a blessing in disguise if one were gay.

What I meant to say is that I'm not sure that being thrown out of the Amish community is a blessing in disguise if your gay and a true blessing would be to be accepted by the Amish community for who you are.

I was just trying to say that being thrown out of your community may not be a blessing in disguise.
I don't see how my "argument" (just an opinion really) is rendered mute?
My entire post wasn't aimed at you, I really should have made that clearer, I didn't mean to offend you and I'm sorry if I did.

Inchante Wrote:Or did you mean that anyone can go on Rumspringa at any time in their life? If that is what you are saying, I had not heard that before. It would certainly add another dimension to it.
i was thinking of the leaving and not looking back w/o Rumspringa actually.

Person66 Wrote:I was just trying to say that being thrown out of your community may not be a blessing in disguise.
I don't see how my "argument" (just an opinion really) is rendered mute?
My entire post wasn't aimed at you, I really should have made that clearer, I didn't mean to offend you and I'm sorry if I did.

We run into the problem that is inherent in the conflicts between pluralism and monism. When pluralism runs up against monism, it deconstructs, it implodes, it actually becomes monism. This is why true diversity must allow for those groups who do not believe in diversity. Anything short of that is hypocrisy and is its own form of bigotry.

You didn't offend me. I just don't understand why people don't realize that freedom is allowing each to pursue good in their own way. Which is why I think it needs to be said in 5 point font.

As far as the rest of your argument, women have a choice. They see what the rest of the world has to offer them during Rumspringa, and they can leave at any time during their life. Some do and some do not.

As far as hypothetical domestic violence, I don't know. It is hypothetical. But, when I see people who are genuinely shocked at the idea of someone harming another person, I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt when they say they do not know violence.