Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay Book Debate
Got a good lawyer? Or better yet, do you have a publisher that is knowledgeable about these things. If you are self publishing, I would be careful.
I bid NO Trump!

In your shoes, I would release the book.

Then again, I have never been in the closet, and I don't put all that much stock in the reaction of others to my sexuality. If they don't like it, they can kiss off, yeah? (As is evident by the fact I emancipated from my parents at 16.)

I didn't realize that editing so close to publishing was an option.

I wouldn't even consider not releasing the book.

A lot of people who have issues about not being told would do well to figure out WHY they weren't told...on their own. It isn't hard to figure out.

I don't think you owe them anything really...

EVERY AUTHOR WANTS TO BE PUBLISHED!!!!!! YOU *did it*. Don't you dare sabotage your big moment on their account. Would they do the same for you?

Do we get a discount on the first published batch? That's what we get for being supportive.
Well, one good thing was that your dad agreed it was well written. Now he'll just have to trust that you covered up the other characters sufficiently for no one to take umbrage.
What's the story about? If you've found an editor, it must be worth publishing. Don't back down now.

deltalover4 Wrote:Hello all, I am in desperate need of some advice. I'm sorry if you read this thread in another gay forum, I'm just trying to get as many responses/opinions as possible.

So as some of you are aware of, I have written and currently in the process of publishing a gay novel (You can read about the book in this thread: https://gayspeak.com/showthread.php?p=531952#post531952). Up until this point, I wasn't out to my family, nor had I really thought about the consequences would be if I published a LGBT novel in a conservative part of North Carolina. While the first part of the book is loosely based on my life, the entire book is about 20% pulled from my life.

Now, my parents know that I'm gay, and that I have written this book. My father has read the first 80 pages, and while he says that the writing is great, he thinks that it should be "put on a shelf" not because of the gay content, but because my community might be able to tell that I'm referring to certain people/places in the area that I have tried to cover up. He also thinks that I need more time to come out to my other family members before they read the book. My mother didn't put it so nicely, saying that some of the content was "disturbing" after flipping through the book for two minutes.

The book is scheduled to be released on Feb. 24, which the book scheduled for printing at the first of next week. So I have two decisions. Either I go ahead with the release, and potentially face the problems that my parents fear, or I cancel the release, which means cancelling the release party on Feb. 21, cancelling all press material that I have prepared, and cancelling the video interview that was done and may be made public by the end of the week.

So what would you do? Would you cancel or would you press on and face the fears that my parents have for me?
If the book becomes a best seller with Hollywood adaptations, your neighbours and community will probably hear about it. In which case, you probably won't give a damn about who thinks what.
If it doesn't have that kind of readership, there's not much likelihood that your neighbours will discover anything, unless, of course, your parents are so proud of you, that they talk around the neighbourhood. Is that going to happen, given their whole stance on the thing?

princealbertofb Wrote:Do we get a discount on the first published batch? That's what we get for being supportive.
Well, one good thing was that your dad agreed it was well written. Now he'll just have to trust that you covered up the other characters sufficiently for no one to take umbrage.
What's the story about? If you've found an editor, it must be worth publishing. Don't back down now.

Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement. After much thought and deliberation, I have decided that I WILL release this book as scheduled. I respect my parent's opinion, but this book is my life, and I won't let a little fear keep me from releasing something that I worked so hard for.

You know what? I believe I will give a discount! You all really have been so supportive, and you are the audience that I want to reach, so what the hell! So here is the deal: If you order at this website: https://www.createspace.com/5159278 And enter in this code: CVWF6MJF, you'll get 15% off the retail price.

Even though the book technically doesn't go on sale until Feb. 24, you can go ahead and order the book and it'll arrive prior to the release date.

I don't want to solicit my own product, but you asked, lol.

deltalover4 Wrote:Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement. After much thought and deliberation, I have decided that I WILL release this book as scheduled. I respect my parent's opinion, but this book is my life, and I won't let a little fear keep me from releasing something that I worked so hard for.

You know what? I believe I will give a discount! You all really have been so supportive, and you are the audience that I want to reach, so what the hell! So here is the deal: If you order at this website: https://www.createspace.com/5159278 And enter in this code: CVWF6MJF, you'll get 15% off the retail price.

Even though the book technically doesn't go on sale until Feb. 24, you can go ahead and order the book and it'll arrive prior to the release date.

I don't want to solicit my own product, but you asked, lol.

Well, yes, I did. I'm still wondering whether the subject matter will be interesting to me. I've read the blurb, so it sounds like a book of soul searching. (as you mentioned, a bit autobiographical). Thanks for the discount anyway.
Best of luck with the sales.

I'm wondering how many books your parents will buy to get you started, and to hand out to all their friends? I know as a parent that's what I'd be doing... Confusedmile: