Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay Marriage/Gay Divorce...Equality...?
My friend has left his husband and says that he intends to file for divorce. This is heartbreaking on many levels, but what I'm also finding very disheartening are the reactions from some of our straight friends. These are people whom I've always considered to be strong supporters of gay rights, people who truly understood the concept of equality.

One person predicted that their divorce would have a negative impact on gay rights issues locally. Two others used it as proof that in the long run, gay marriage can't work. One person even asked me if I still meant to go through with my own wedding, given the way that "these things" just don't work out. No one seems to consider that the divorce rate among straight couples in the US is between 40% - 50%.

It's depressing, and it really makes me wonder if there's ever going to be any true equality.

A perfect example of "supporter of gay rights in theory, homophobic in practice".

Don't worry about what others say. In my part of the world, anything other than an arranged heterosexual marriage is considered an anomaly. Of course, same sex marriages and even homosexuality is a criminal offense.
Still, we live on. Hoping for a better tomorrow.
All the best for your marriage.

When they said 'these things don't work out' is there a chance that they were talking about marriage in general and not gay marriage in specific?

I am try to understand the issue since marriage is not a desire for my life.

I think gay marriage issues will still be debated for a long time to come.
It similar to abortion, existence of ghosts, mercy killing etc. All these topics has been debated for a long time and will still continue to do so.

I would say, dun't bother about what others say. Just live the lives that we want. If they point out 1 gay divorce, we can point out 10 other successful gay marriages. Smile

Thought this quote might be appropriate for this thread.

' It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages.'
[COLOR="DarkRed"]Friedrich Nietzsche
[/COLOR]

50Plus Wrote:When they said 'these things don't work out' is there a chance that they were talking about marriage in general and not gay marriage in specific?

I am try to understand the issue since marriage is not a desire for my life.

No, they were all talking specifically about gay marriage. The irony is that one of them is, himself, divorces.

deepu69 Wrote:Don't worry about what others say. In my part of the world, anything other than an arranged heterosexual marriage is considered an anomaly. Of course, same sex marriages and even homosexuality is a criminal offense.
Still, we live on. Hoping for a better tomorrow.
All the best for your marriage.

Thank you. You've managed to put things into perspective simply and powerfully. I've been focusing solely on the negative (partially because I'm very emotional about their divorce) but you've made me understand that no matter what, we should be grateful for the progress that we've made.

Adam Wrote:My friend has left his husband and says that he intends to file for divorce.
It's depressing, and it really makes me wonder if there's ever going to be any true equality.

He had a gay marriage, he's getting a gay divorce... Just like everyone else.

It doesn't get more equal than that. Be happy for him. He's living the dream same as anyone.

Adam Wrote:Two others used it as proof that in the long run, gay marriage can't work.

Sounds like good ol' fashioned, poorly-backed, uneducated, right-wing opinions.

Since one of the people that said this is himself divorced, I hope you put that point right back at him to point out his hypocrisy. Also point out the same you did here, that nearly half of straight marriages end in divorce. For many straight people that have these backwards ideas there is not a gay person they know to point out reality, but fortunately for your friends there is someone- you.