Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay Marriage
Hey fjp999 and Shadow, thank you for your supports.

Indeed it is sad to see my so called 'friends' and my own sister turned into jerks who supported Prop 8 but it is sadder that Yes on 8 passed.

I guess I should take your suggestion and bug the hell out of them by bring up the issue into their face that they don't want to discuss.

I volunteered for No on 8 for 7 hours on election day holding up sign so people could see the message. Out of thousands of car drove by, four people flipped me their fingers and over couple hundreds of people honked and gave me thumbs up (well, yeah, it is SF after all). So I learned there are many people do support us, including straight people (The voting result is 52% against same sex marriage 47% support it). There were more than 10 million votes casted.

To fight Prop 8, I participated the march in SF last Friday night. The media reported there were only one thousand people but I know there were more than 10,000 people showed up. I made a video of last Friday night and you could see it on youtube -

There will be a march coming this Saturday across the U.S.. I believe it will be the biggest LGBT rally ever in the country.

The battle will go on until we get our rights back. There is no doubts about it!

sfgam Wrote:... There will be a march coming this Saturday across the U.S.. I believe it will be the biggest LGBT rally ever in the country.

The battle will go on until we get our rights back. There is no doubts about it!
Good luck, sfgam. Glad to see the age of civil protest isn't over. May the force be with you Respect

Thanks for the video.

Just love how SF police/media are always underestimating protest - the person taking that count must have forgotten to take off their blindfold from the SM club... they were always underestimating Critical Mass rides during the summers...

This world has put me into a very bad emotional place and it is just so tragic, especially the minority voters who chose NOT to support US... I know that if there was an injustice against the black or hispanic community the gays would be out there supporting their community... and all this anger against us in the name of Christianity. May God forgive them as they know not what they do!

Religions and governments/laws should be kept strictly seperate, and if people want to exclude gays from religious unions then that's their right, but everyone should be allowed the same legal rights, including marriage.

One of the few things that I dislike about living in the United States is the completely weak ass position that my government takes on GLBTG rights. Unfortunately, it is the last socially acceptable bias left in our society. That being said, it should explain why the US government is unwilling to change things. THe US government doesn't want to get to far ahead of public opinion, and the US is an inherently conservative nation.

It wasn't always this way. 222 years ago the people of the United States were liberal enough to through off the chains of their oppressors. Now, we've gotten used to the good life.

Sometimes I wonder when the rest of the people are going to realize that 10% of us are being denied basic civil rights, but, I don't think 10% is enough for a revolution. I guess I can only live in hope of the famous 80/20 solution, that someone among the 80% will stand up for those of us among the 20%.

That being said, even with all the problems, there is no where outside the US i would rather live.

Richard

ardus Wrote:I don't think 10% is enough for a revolution.

10% is enough for a coup d'etat but not a real revolution.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

It's not a matter of should it be a part of government. It's someone else has a right to something so then should we. If you don't think marriage should be related to government you are free to not get married.

I have been with my lover/soul mate for 24 years now and am very happy ...neither one of us have a desire to be "married". I find marraige is an oppressive institution and I have no desire to embrace it. That is, however, my own personal view and choice and what is right for me.

That being said I 100% support and fight for equality under the law...period.

Eastofeden I've got a couple of questions for you?

eastofeden Wrote:neither one of us have a desire to be "married".

I am curious about your use of inverted commas. Do you mean that if you were to get married you don't think that it would be a full or proper marriage?

eastofeden Wrote:I find marraige is an oppressive institution

What do find oppressive about marriage (as practised in the modern United States)?
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Code:
I am curious about your use of inverted commas. Do you mean that if you were to get married you don't think that it would be a full or proper marriage?

Interesting Question...I am glad that you asked as I never stopped to think about the inverted commas and how I use them. I actually use them alot on Political Debate Boards where I am usually the only Liberal and I acknowledge the common use of the word or the specific use of the word to the conversation at hand when I have a different definition (i.e. "Patriotic" "Real American" "Win" "Lose")...and while I am not a fan of "marriage"...I would never use the inverted commas when I say gay marriage. If anything...I am biased in favor of gay couples having a deeper (or fuller if you will) connection than alot of their straight counterparts. As for the term "proper marriage"...I am not really sure what
that constitutes but I will say IF one chooses to marry then I believe in 100% full equality under the law and see no difference if the couple is gay or straight.

Code:
[B]What do find oppressive about marriage (as practised in the modern United States)?[/B]

I believe in the journey of the soul and each person being unique and I think everyone should be free to go on that journey and be true to themselves..free to explore and open new doors and close others.

Personally I could never promise to be faithful or to love honor or cherish anyone til death because I am very keen on keeping my promises and I make very few of them....I also refuse to let anyone make that promise to me. I also have a distaste for the control and ego that traditional marriage incorporates and dictates and the judgements people make toward each other and toward themselves based on the framework of traditional marriage.

I really like knowing that the person I love who is with me makes that choice everyday of his own free will and not because there is some archaic piece of paper or a contract...the only contract I want to follow and I want him to follow is unspoken and that is to "be true to yourself". Ironically...we are both monogamous but it just evolved that way on it's own....that has never been a condition and never will be.

I have alot of other reasons and rants but at the risk of boring you guys/TMI better stop nowSupergrin