Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay Movie Suggestions?
Hey everybody,

so recently, I've started watching some gay-themed movies and find them to be really awesome! The thing is, I'm having trouble finding a good list of movies to see. Any Suggestions?

I've already watched Shelter, Prayer for Bobby, Shank, & Summer Storm.

Thanks in advance for the sugestions :biggrin:

a few recent ones, German with sub titles, these are better than average to
Weekend
Romeos

some others:
Angles in America
August 2011
Big Eden 2000
BirdCage 1996
boy A 2007
Conrad Boys 2006
Defying Gravity 1999
Fixing Frank 2002
Grey Gardens
Hell Bent 2004
Hedwig and the Angry Inch 2001
Its In The Water 1998
J Edgar 2011
Kaboom 2010
Latter Days 2003
Line of Beauty bbc 2002 1,2,3
Longtime Companion 1990
Milk 2009
my Beautiful Laundrette 1985
Mysterious Skin 2004
Red Dirt 2000
Shelter 2007
Short Bus 2006
Single man 2009
Speedway Junky 1999
Were the World Mine 2008
Beautiful Boxer 2003
High Art
defying Gravity 1997
Holding Trevor
HouseBoy
Regular Guys

Hi!.
There are many good gay themed movies, but I´ll mention only three of different genres that I think they are worthwhile:

Prayers for Bobby (2009) – Drama –
It´s a real life based film that tells the story of a boy that discoves his sexual orientation on 70´s/80´s, but he has to deal with his mother´s religious principles about homosexuality. Very hearth breaking Cry, and reflexive I think. At least from now on you´ll learn what to say to the creeps that insist that homosexuality is against God laws.

To wong foo: thanks for everything Julie Newmar (1995) – Comedy –
This movie is about three gay men that happen to be drag queens; two of them won a drag queen contest and have to travel to another city to take part in an even bigger, national contest. They decide to bring along the one that lost, so they can teach him how to be a better drag queen and he can have a possibility in the contest. Very funny, exotic an colorful film, I love itMdrbig!!!. By the way, you´ll be able to see Patrick Swayze and Wesley snipes in a way you have never imagined!.

Shelter (2007)- Fairy Tale/Romance-
A romantic and optimistic film about a dude that lives a boring and frustrating life in a small town and has to take care of his little nephew; his daily life seems to be condemned until he meets up with his best friend brother again. I´m not telling you any other detail….you have to watch it!!! . Is gorgeous!!. Mdrbig

Edit: Sorry, I didn´t realize that you´ve already seen Prayers for bobby and Shelter. Well, there´s still one good choice: To wong foo... Wait!, I have another one:

The Sum of Us (1994) - drama -

This film is about the relationship between a gay guy and his supportive father. Golly!, I almost cried with this film, I wish my father was like that. A must!!!!. By the way, here´s a perk: Russell Crowe in his manly magnificence.

forgot some TV stuff
A List
Noahs Arc
Queer as Folk the uk version
Queer as Folk the US version
Fabulous Beekman Boys //i have not watched this yet
Will and Grace
The Wire //i liked the Omar Little character
Skins //again i liked the gay character (forgot the name)
Sex in the City

StarletHologram Wrote:Hi!.
There are many good gay themed movies, but I´ll mention only three of different genres that I think they are worthwhile:

Prayers for Bobby (2009) – Drama –
It´s a real life based film that tells the story of a boy that discoves his sexual orientation on 70´s/80´s, but he has to deal with his mother´s religious principles about homosexuality. Very hearth breaking Cry, and reflexive I think. At least from now on you´ll learn what to say to the creeps that insist that homosexuality is against God laws.

To wong foo: thanks for everything Julie Newmar (1995) – Comedy –
This movie is about three gay men that happen to be drag queens; two of them won a drag queen contest and have to travel to another city to take part in an even bigger, national contest. They decide to bring along the one that lost, so they can teach him how to be a better drag queen and he can have a possibility in the contest. Very funny, exotic an colorful film, I love itMdrbig!!!. By the way, you´ll be able to see Patrick Swayze and Wesley snipes in a way you have never imagined!.

Shelter (2007)- Fairy Tale/Romance-
A romantic and optimistic film about a dude that lives a boring and frustrating life in a small town and has to take care of his little nephew; his daily life seems to be condemned until he meets up with his best friend brother again. I´m not telling you any other detail….you have to watch it!!! . Is gorgeous!!. Mdrbig

Edit: Sorry, I didn´t realize that you´ve already seen Prayers for bobby and Shelter. Well, there´s still one good choice: To wong foo... Wait!, I have another one:

The Sum of Us (1994) - drama -

This film is about the relationship between a gay guy and his supportive father. Golly!, I almost cried with this film, I wish my father was like that. A must!!!!. By the way, here´s a perk: Russell Crowe in his manly magnificence.

Thanks for the suggestions Big Grin

pellaz Wrote:forgot some TV stuff
A List
Noahs Arc
Queer as Folk the uk version
Queer as Folk the US version
Fabulous Beekman Boys //i have not watched this yet
Will and Grace
The Wire //i liked the Omar Little character
Skins //again i liked the gay character (forgot the name)
Sex in the City

Aside from Will & Grace and Sex in the City, I'll definately check these out :biggrin:

The Edge of Seventeen is one of my favorite movies of all time. It's realistic, has a great soundtrack, and has a fairly equal amount of comedy and drama. I recommend it to anyone who hasnt seen it, and even to those who have! It's basically about a guy who is 17 (wild guess) and undergoing a personal transformation in the mid '80's. I believe you can find the full movie on YouTube.

It's not really a 'gay' movie per say but The Dead Poets' Society is an excellent movie. It ressonates with me on many levels. Expressing yourself, not conforming to what society orders you to do, etc. The fact that the two main characters are cute makes it even better! A lot of people (myself included) argue that there are subtle gay subtexts to the movie, especially between the two main leads. If anything, it can be construed as a story of unrequited (and tragic) love...though that's only if you are going off the assumption that Neil and Todd are gay...which again...I do lol.

It's already listed but I'll describe it a bit...Latter Days is an amazing movie. It's a drama/comedy/romance of sorts, though it's a bit light on comedy and heavier on romance and drama. There are some very serious and heart tugging moments, but if you want a movie that ultimately ends happily with moments of fluff in between, I definitely think you should watch this.

There is also the Eating Out series...it's like a gay American Pie almost. Sorta funny, very vulgar, with bits of romantic moments strewn in.

If anything, go to Logo's website...they have tons of movies to choose from. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the suggestions Confusedmile:

Another Gay Movie is another movie like Eating Out, its the gay version of American Pie. I thought it was funny.

Brokeback Mountain was another good one, to me Jake Gyllenhall's acting isn't all that great (even though he is hot) but Heath Ledger made up for it. very sad ending though.

I recently watched You should meet my son.
It was funny and good overall. It's about a mother who tries to find a man for her son.

Thanks Pellaz for all the reccomendations, two things confuse me however: "Grey Gardens" has nothing do do with gay people or issues.
Sex in the City is about 4 hetero women, though it has some gay subplots.
Scarlet: "To Wong Foo,.........Julie Newmar" is a bad American remake of the much much better Australian Movie "Priscilla Queen of the Desert" (however skip the new musical) the Australian movie has (an excellent) Terrance Stamp, (and both then unknown) Guy Pearce, and Hugo Weaving. I'd reccomend that.

StarletH, where can I see "Shelter", at least tell me why you partially describe it as a "fairy tale"!

BYoNexus, where can I see