Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay TV
Hello Everyone!

Wanted to make a quick thread for discussion. My next video I want to dive into the topic of gay TV shows and gay TV characters in general.

It's a broad topic but it's something I've noticed. When I was growing up there were shows like Queer as Folk on. While the show had a bevy of problems it did have relatable characters and it gave me hope when I was growing up. I was like 12 when I was watching those shows (mature for my age lol).

Fast forward to now and I'm kind of surprised that there aren't more gay TV shows. I do think TV does a MUCH better job of having gay characters in general which was a big part of the battle. Everyday life is about being around all kinds of people so TV has def come a long way in that regard.

I do find it weird there are essentially 0 shows on TV that are entirely gay centric. Gay main character living whatever life they have. There have been attempts recently like The Outs which was awesome but never got picked up by a TV network. Looking is also a good show but personally I've not related to it much.

So it's a broad topic but I'd love to hear what people think. Perhaps we don't need gay-centric TV shows now that there is the Internet and more characters in mainstream television?

Brian there are still such shows, the problem now is that they do not have them on regular cable. You need an extended service and request OutTV to get it. All the show, movies, talk shows are now on OutTV at least it is true for Canada. I don't know for the USA.

See http://www.outtv.ca/ it's all there

Jake Wrote:Brian there are still such shows, the problem now is that they do not have them on regular cable. You need an extended service and request OutTV to get it. All the show, movies, talk shows are now on OutTV at least it is true for Canada. I don't know for the USA.

See http://www.outtv.ca/ it's all there

That's kinda what I'm saying. A 14yr old wouldn't have access to such beyond the internet.

BrianNorth Wrote:That's kinda what I'm saying. A 14yr old wouldn't have access to such beyond the internet.

I agree I don't know why they did that. OutTV was created when I first worked with Bell TV and well the gay community acclaimed it and was happy about it... but. Most of the show or variety shows were moved to OutTV forcing gays and gay-friendly customer to register for the channel which of course as you know how packaging works here, you can't fucking get a single channel unless you add two or three useless channels - not that Food Network is useless but I'm already a cook and I couldn't care less about a bunch of chef fighting eachother on Iron chef when I can get my recipes from books or the Internet Smile

Unfortunately, they won't get rid of outtv it's too profitable.

Jake Wrote:I agree I don't know why they did that. OutTV was created when I first worked with Bell TV and well the gay community acclaimed it and was happy about it... but. Most of the show or variety shows were moved to OutTV forcing gays and gay-friendly customer to register for the channel which of course as you know how packaging works here, you can't fucking get a single channel unless you add two or three useless channels - not that Food Network is useless but I'm already a cook and I couldn't care less about a bunch of chef fighting eachother on Iron chef when I can get my recipes from books or the Internet Smile

Unfortunately, they won't get rid of outtv it's too profitable.

I remember when it was called PrideTV or something like that.. I just remember a Canadian queer themed channel in the late 90s or early 2000s. I could get it on my grandpa's sattelite.

QAF wasn't THAT much better as if I remember it was a Showtime show rebroadcasted on Showcase in Canada but it was still pretty accessible. Either way I'm stoked about this video as the idea is getting ppl talking.

BrianNorth Wrote:I remember when it was called PrideTV or something like that.. I just remember a Canadian queer themed channel in the late 90s or early 2000s. I could get it on my grandpa's sattelite.

QAF wasn't THAT much better as if I remember it was a Showtime show rebroadcasted on Showcase in Canada but it was still pretty accessible. Either way I'm stoked about this video as the idea is getting ppl talking.

PrideTV programming sucked ass lol big time, it was renamed OutTV when an actual group of investor mostly composed of gay & lesbian took over and turned it into a real network. PrideTV had mostly talk shows, and shows that were as boring as an uncracked egg before Easter Sunday. And the movies were predominantly about AIDS and STDs, sickness, death, suicide, violence against gay people etc. There was practically nothing about love, parenting, discovery of one' sexuality While I agree that those have to be talked about, there's other stuff than just talking of the last bruises another gay guy got coming out of a bar at 2am. As I said the problem is that general and public network such as TV Ontario, Radio Quebec or even Radio Canada and the other provincial and local networks are not taking a stand and show some of those gay themed movies in their network.

It's almost like a misconception that all gays are rich enough to have cable TV. Which goes back to your question, how does a 14 years old of the time could get details or role-model of other gay people. When I was 14, there was no Pride TV, no Queer as Folks, perhaps in one or two shows they would quickly treat the homosexuality issues, but it was always viewed as problematic. So the idea that I had of gay people at 14 and the idea I had of myself was that it was a sexual deviation.

Jake Wrote:PrideTV programming sucked ass lol big time, it was renamed OutTV when an actual group of investor mostly composed of gay & lesbian took over and turned it into a real network. PrideTV had mostly talk shows, and shows that were as boring as an uncracked egg before Easter Sunday. And the movies were predominantly about AIDS and STDs, sickness, death, suicide, violence against gay people etc. There was practically nothing about love, parenting, discovery of one' sexuality While I agree that those have to be talked about, there's other stuff than just talking of the last bruises another gay guy got coming out of a bar at 2am. As I said the problem is that general and public network such as TV Ontario, Radio Quebec or even Radio Canada and the other provincial and local networks are not taking a stand and show some of those gay themed movies in their network.

It's almost like a misconception that all gays are rich enough to have cable TV. Which goes back to your question, how does a 14 years old of the time could get details or role-model of other gay people. When I was 14, there was no Pride TV, no Queer as Folks, perhaps in one or two shows they would quickly treat the homosexuality issues, but it was always viewed as problematic. So the idea that I had of gay people at 14 and the idea I had of myself was that it was a sexual deviation.

Certainly a good point. I was fortunate enough to have access as even Showcase was part of a cable package. I think it was like $30 a month for the 50 channels we had.

I might change the scope of the video to be more about gay shows and characters rather then just the television medium in general.. The topic of gay tv shows over the last 20 years is VERY broad and a bit overwhelming. Might be better to discuss the portrayal/role modelness of whats out there. Like if I was 12 and saw how to get away with murder and how the gay character fucks anyone for information I'm not going to relate to that. I'd probably be more confused then anything.

BrianNorth Wrote:Certainly a good point. I was fortunate enough to have access as even Showcase was part of a cable package. I think it was like $30 a month for the 50 channels we had.

I might change the scope of the video to be more about gay shows and characters rather then just the television medium in general.. The topic of gay tv shows over the last 20 years is VERY broad and a bit overwhelming. Might be better to discuss the portrayal/role modelness of whats out there. Like if I was 12 and saw how to get away with murder and how the gay character fucks anyone for information I'm not going to relate to that. I'd probably be more confused then anything.

Well there's no harms at mentioning and giving some examples of network TV either. Queer as folk came to Global when Global found out that it was a very popular show, if the rating wasn't as big, they would have kept it in Cable just like the rest of it. The first gay movie I saw that was shown on PrideTV was "Closed to Leo" search it and you'll find out what I meant about PrideTV showing gay themed movie about AIDS and sickness.

Jake Wrote:Well there's no harms at mentioning and giving some examples of network TV either. Queer as folk came to Global when Global found out that it was a very popular show, if the rating wasn't as big, they would have kept it in Cable just like the rest of it. The first gay movie I saw that was shown on PrideTV was "Closed to Leo" search it and you'll find out what I meant about PrideTV showing gay themed movie about AIDS and sickness.

I do remember some of the movies. I wish I could remember the names but I just remember them being ultra serious so I didn't watch them. I def remember Philadelphia being shown a few times.

I want to approach the video from a place that'd inspire the most discussion so it's something ppl watch and then talk about. Still kicking the ideas around in my brain.

BrianNorth Wrote:I do remember some of the movies. I wish I could remember the names but I just remember them being ultra serious so I didn't watch them. I def remember Philadelphia being shown a few times.

I want to approach the video from a place that'd inspire the most discussion so it's something ppl watch and then talk about. Still kicking the ideas around in my brain.

Perhaps you should consider making more than one video on the subject. Make it a series, start with three and start with the gay shows, gay movies and their exposure on TV networks. You know that up to today there were very great films and short films made about gay love and yet you haven't seen Odeon show them as the premiere. The day I will see a gay movie that has nothing to do with AIDS or STD and violence against gays being presented alongside with other blockbusters, is the day that I will be convinced 100% that our society have made the mental shift regarding gay people being an entire part of their society.

Here's one a friend of mine gave me just yesterday - short but so much better than the crap we have now.