Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay Youtubers
Do you follow youtube at all? Amongst the videoclips, tv shows, news there are those vbloggers who seem to be popular in the youtube community and sometimes get the attention of the media. Yes, the ''youtube phenomenon''.

I've come across to videos there that discuss gay issues as gay marriage, gay rights and being gay in general.
I find there are at least 3 types of 'gay youtubers'. Those who portray being gay in a very stereotypical way and contradict themselves when they say they fight the stereotypes. Being self centered and egotistic at the point of moronic with a lot of the ''gay touch'' sells... A LOT. Gets the attention of the media, even if it is only to ridicule. Wearing frocks and being camp is ok if that's who you are ,however when someone use this way as graphically as possible because it is commercial i cant find anything noble about it, not even for the sake of entertainment or to be famous.
There are those who don't emphasize much on sexuality and just ramble about which can be fun; then these other people who are gay (or have gay kids), who are well argued and well prepared with views, questions and opinions worth paying attention to but they don't get as many views.
To me this shows how gay issues are not taken seriously enough and either we have to be that outrageous to get attention and hopefully raise awareness or because of this silliness we stereotype ourselves so we are not taken seriously.

What you guys think about it? If you want list here your favorite gay youtubers.
I start with this one i have embed his videos here yesterday in another thread and i think worths watching and get more attention for his comedy and his more serious videos.
http://www.youtube.com/stylenxs

Have to admit,I especially love the camp over the top vids.When I go onto YouTube,I want to be entertained and to wind down.It's good that some people use YT as a platform to discuss gay issues though.My most fave gay youtuber has to be La Pequena.

spotysocks Wrote:Do you follow youtube at all? Amongst the videoclips, tv shows, news there are those vbloggers who seem to be popular in the youtube community and sometimes get the attention of the media. Yes, the ''youtube phenomenon''.

I've come across to videos there that discuss gay issues as gay marriage, gay rights and being gay in general.
I find there are at least 3 types of 'gay youtubers'. Those who portray being gay in a very stereotypical way and contradict themselves when they say they fight the stereotypes. Being self centered and egotistic at the point of moronic with a lot of the ''gay touch'' sells... A LOT. Gets the attention of the media, even if it is only to ridicule. Wearing frocks and being camp is ok if that's who you are ,however when someone use this way as graphically as possible because it is commercial i cant find anything noble about it, not even for the sake of entertainment or to be famous.
There are those who don't emphasize much on sexuality and just ramble about which can be fun; then these other people who are gay (or have gay kids), who are well argued and well prepared with views, questions and opinions worth paying attention to but they don't get as many views.
To me this shows how gay issues are not taken seriously enough and either we have to be that outrageous to get attention and hopefully raise awareness or because of this silliness we stereotype ourselves so we are not taken seriously.

What you guys think about it? If you want list here your favorite gay youtubers.
I start with this one i have embed his videos here yesterday in another thread and i think worths watching and get more attention for his comedy and his more serious videos.
http://www.youtube.com/stylenxs

Thanks for introducing me (us) to this passionate man. He's worth listening to and watching. Well, if any of you have come across CHRIS CROCKER, they'll know how trashy that can be. The first video YouTube I watched of him was a bit Over The Top but I thought it rather funny and provoking. I've seen some of the later ones and they are getting rather salacious. Not sure it's always in the best of taste.

Now, Stylenxs is very very well read (and garrulous) (he's got a law degree) and he'll make a wonderful advocate, lawyer, barrister, attorney some day, if he should decide that's the way he wants to go. he's also pretty good looking, which helps. Confusedmile: I think he's either got a very structured mind or he prepares his subjects carefully before recording them. That's a lot of work put in to entertain. His stories of the Bible are told in rather far-fetched terms but are in fact accurate stories. It's the light he throws upon them that is hilarious. Grotesque would be the word.

Have to agree with your take on using camp to promote yourself. The media will promote camp effeminate acts because theyre more accessible for more people. sadly this is often to be laughed at. Havent looked at the more serious ones yet...but will do.
As you say theres nothing wrong with camp guys having a laugh, bring it on. But when its used so easily to laugh at all gay men its more problematic, and the medias inability to have mainstream gay men/ women who are relaxed and assertive about who they have sex with is irriating
hence in the uk we have graham norton, alan carr and thousands of bullied gay teens.
Any other suggestions on good gay commentators? Didnt find stylenxs funny.

Yes PA i know Chris Crocker, yes over the top. I d say he is on the first category of gay bloggers. He made a video about Britney Spears which was funny and made the fox news in the states, the presenters were trying to guess if he is 'a boy or a girl'.

Vauxhall i wouldnt recommend itschriscrocker as the best gay vblogger but he can be entertaining in his silliness
YouTube - sxephil's Channel is another vblogger who is popular on youtube, he is not gay but gay friendly and quite funny. YouTube - WHATTHEBUCKSHOW's Channel is a gay commentator. All are americans though so they comment and blog about things happening in the states and not really about gay issues.

I dont like Chris at all... He annoys me to death. Its almost gross. To me anyway. I do watch William Sledd though. I love his vids. I agree with almost everything. Though lately hes harder to find giving advice. Oh well. I also watch 5AG. (5 awesome gays) LOVE them! Its so fun to watch them every day. They make one vid a day. Though one of them (Greg) left... He was one of my favs, and It was a blow for me. I still dont know why he left though.... anyone know?

I like all those, and all the coming out stories on there, they are intresting lol