Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monogamy
As someone in a relationship that was monogamous for several months and is now branching out into the open/polyamorous spectrum, I do think that there are healthy ways to pursue non-monogamy, even ways in which it could be acceptable and beneficial in society if everyone were open to it. Open relationships can still have standards, and it is possible for some people to have loving and meaningful relationships with multiple people. If you want to know more, look for books like The Ethical Slut or Google "polyamory".

There is something to what people have said about laziness and self-control, though. Most of the non-monogamous relationships one sees are not the result of a couple's mutual agreement or careful decision. For someone to have multiple partners in a positive way it probably requires more effort than for a single partner, not less. For that reason I still see monogamy as being the most practical way to build healthy sexual relationships for most people, even if I think there are other possibilities.