Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay couple refused tenacy agreement because of the sexuality?
Just reading this about a gay couple being refused a rental agreement on the basis of their sexuality (it's on TheGayUK - can't post a link yet!)

http://thegayuk.com/magazine/4574334751/...on/5670574

and can't believe that this shit goes on? Really? Isn't gay money as good as str8 money?

Given the times we live in this is a very curious attitude. There was a case not so long ago when two guys were refused accommodation at a B&B because they were gay. They sued and were awarded compensation. I'm unsure that the law is in the Isle of Man but maybe these two girls could take legal action. Times change. It reminds me a little of a few years ago when I was driving through France with a friend and we were looking for an hotel room late at night. In one hotel we were asked by the female Receptionist: "One bed or two?". The French seem so much more understanding.

people are afraid of people who are different.

Gay marriage was just legalized here in Washington State last fall. Now we have a court case involving a florist who refused to provide flowers for a gay wedding.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/1...8820130419

She states she is not against gays, just gay marriage. This case will be a good test.

I for one wouldn't fight to live someplace where I am not welcomed.

Clearly the landlord doesn't tolerate gays... While the law can force the landlord to accept gays, that doesn't mean he will let a gay couple rent. He will just find some other reason to declare them unfit as tenants.

Therein lies the real problem of these sorts of laws... They do nothing to stop the discrimination - the attitude behind the discrimination.

A related example is a investigative reporting team sent out people with very similar resume's to different corporations here in the USA. Two men with the same resume, the same education, experience, everything applied for the same job. One was hired on the spot, the other was told he would be called back.

The one hired on the spot was white, the one with the call back was black.

When questioned, the hiring individual came up with some BS reason why the black man's resume was not 'worthy' - same resume, different people carrying it.

The same thing will happen for gays... The bigot always finds a reason, you tell them they can't say 'because your ____________' (black, gay, whatever) they will pull another reason out of their hat.

Laws don't change attitudes. People change attitudes.

It almost happened to us when we were renting apartments, though they couldn't be honest about it (or at least not the lady involved, she was more of a glorified secretary to the actual owner and she wasn't the only one hired to collect rent money). We both stopped in to pay rent (2nd payment, first time I went in) and the landlady picked a fight with us. She asked who I was and what our relationship was and my roomie said it was no biz of hers, other than I made sure she could afford to live there. The landlady claimed that she'd assumed that all 3 moving in with her were her children (my partner was born in 1970, btw...granted, still VERY young to give birth to me, she'd have been 12, but as I'm not actually on the lease as I wasn't sure if this was going to work, I was apparently just dismissed as another family relation), and that had she'd known, she'd never would've rented the apartment out to us.

Short and sweet she was also a racist (with her revered pic of Jesus being a white man of course) and a homophobe who had a problem with my black BFF showing up (that's when I realized that no racial minorities were living there save a handful of Asian Americans who kept to themselves and seemed surprise when I said hi to them, though maybe the dark Italian family counts, not sure, but they only seemed to be barely tolerated as well). To make a perfect end to it, after she dropped the subject of my BFF (whom she hilariously suspected was a drug dealer), she bluntly asked us if we were "sharing a room." I told her I took the office space for my room, but before I got it all out my roomie (who was thoroughly ticked by then) demanded to know, "What business is it of yours?"

She hewed and hawed, claimed that it was "bad for the children" for 2 women to live together who weren't related by blood, and claimed that there was a policy against letting someone live here who was an adult and not related to the one who signed the lease.

"Let me see the policy," she said, with a tone I think she honed on unruly students (and it seemed to be working, putting the landlady on the defensive).

The landlady then said she wasn't going to demand I leave, so it wasn't necessary for her to see it just that she thought it was bad "for the children" that we were living together and that THEY'D prefer I leave, and the girl had told another mother living there this.

My roomie then handed her an attorney's business card and told her that if there were any more problems or concerns, that she'd be talking to him about it, and that she figured the man who actually owns these apartments might be willing to get rid of the landlady herself if it meant getting out of litigation, too. At that point, the landlady had nothing more to say. (If you're as amazed as I was that my roomie apparently had a lawyer on retainer, she told me he's a friend of hers, she's used him before, and she was actually worried that this might happen in the first place and he'd told her not to be afraid to come to him if it did...in fact, he'd LOVE it if there was a problem and she came to him...)

What bothered me the most is that she said the children were disturbed by my living there. This upset me, and I asked them (later, both alone each) if that was true and told them I'd move out immediately giving some other reason than them to their mom (so they couldn't get in trouble) if it was, but they both swore it wasn't and didn't know what the landlady was talking about. (They'd later get worried I wasn't coming back after I spent a couple of months in Texas. Oh, and the Death Eaters of Harry Potter reminded the girl of the antigay Christians.) But in asking I did find out that the mother of one of the other girls at the apartment (of an Evangelical) asked a lot of questions of "the babysitter who moved in" and kept asking her how she felt about my living there before she forbid her daughter from playing with mine as "I don't want her exposed to that." No doubt she, being a typical Christian, bore false witness about my girl saying she wished I'd leave, though the landlady who tried to get rid of me (another good Christian) also didn't hesitate to lie when she thought it would get her what she wanted (and feeling morally superior the entire time). In any case, it sure put a damper on the Christmas holidays.

We were all so glad when we got the home we live in now and could leave.

pellaz Wrote:people are afraid of people who are different.

That is so, very true about people.

funny;
if i had the choice i would rent to a gay. just think they are a more tidy respectful class of people

What I like about this thread is that the subject title is like a mad lib with the thread below it filling in the blank on the home page. Right now it says:

"Gay couple refused tenacy agreement because of ... nail polish on boys.

Earlier it said:

"Gay couple refused tenacy agreement because of boyfriend messaging another guy for sex."

Now I made it say "Gay couple refused tenacy agreement because of Britains of Pakistani origin and their attitude."