Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay heavy metal fans?
I think the problem is that cheesy pop is regerded as being 'gay' and it's marketed as such. That's why it's in some way expected that we should like it and it's so annoying!
As far as I'm concerned, music is music. It's either good or bad, depending on your taste.

IanG Wrote:I think the problem is that cheesy pop is regerded as being 'gay' and it's marketed as such. That's why it's in some way expected that we should like it and it's so annoying!
As far as I'm concerned, music is music. It's either good or bad, depending on your taste.
Er, you wouldn't be Ian Gillan then by any chance Rolleyes

Actually, more seriously, this could be a whole different discussion. Couldn't music be good or bad by more objective criteria than by whether it appeals to our "taste"?

marshlander Wrote:Er, you wouldn't be Ian Gillan then by any chance Rolleyes

Actually, more seriously, this could be a whole different discussion. Couldn't music be good or bad by more objective criteria than by whether it appeals to our "taste"?

If I were Ian Gillan you don't think I'd be talking to the likes of you, do you? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I'm sure there are more objective criteria when deciding whether music is good or not. You could judge a piece of music purely on its technical merits, but that wouldn't explain why it moves some people but leaves others cold. In my opinion, the fact that music is so varied and subjective is what makes it so interesting.

I guess I just hate pigeonholing, especially when it comes to the assumption that being gay means you'll like anything that is shallow, tacky or naff.

I freaking love heavy metal! I love Motorhead, Rammstein, Metallica! They are all awesome! I dont like charts much in the uk... all just aload of ewww. I do like other genres ofocurse... love johnny cash, frank sinatra, abba lol Big Grin

Heavy metal FTW

IanG Wrote:I think the problem is that cheesy pop is regerded as being 'gay' and it's marketed as such. That's why it's in some way expected that we should like it and it's so annoying!
I totally know what you are getting at, i like abba and before i came out to everyone they were saying i was such a poof and gay and al... i admit i do love really cheesey music but fave genre is heavy metal

Yes but by the same token anyone who doesn't like Girls Aloud isn't a real person. It's like not liking crisps or something...

sox-and-the-city Wrote:Yes but by the same token anyone who doesn't like Girls Aloud isn't a real person. It's like not liking crisps or something...
Bless ... <floats away gently>

marshlander Wrote:Bless ... <floats away gently>

< ... and hopefully lands in my bed> Wink

(oh well, wishful thinking!) :redface:

Personally, I've been a raging metaller since I was 13, am I die hard Iron Maiden fan and I don't just like the stuff, I play it! Google FuXoX, the first result's me, it's a sort of one-man, urm, I guess it's what the Germans call Tanz-Metal (Dance-Metal, as opposed to Industrial which tends to be a bit dark). I never assumed you'd like it though, a couple of tracks are pretty rough...

Also into Metallica (the first four albums obviously, Bob Rock can suck my, oh wait, wrong forum, no he can't), Megadeth, Faith No More, Anthrax, Rammstein, Pantera and Damageplan, Tool, Skindred, Slipknot, Dethklok, loads of stuff.

That's not to say I don't have wider tastes, but hey, wider tastes are kind of my M.O.. Wink

Still can't stand Abba though. Maybe when I've been out longer I'll develop a liking for Benny and Bjorn's saccharine noodlings, but if I want camp sounds I'll dive into my Queen collection, gods rest you and bless you Fred.

Arthur.FWT Wrote:Still can't stand Abba though. Maybe when I've been out longer I'll develop a liking for Benny and Bjorn's saccharine noodlings, but if I want camp sounds I'll dive into my Queen collection, gods rest you and bless you Fred.

What have I done now to get a blessing? ;-)

I have to admit that I have had a liking for ABBA for far longer than I have been out. Not that I have always liked ABBA. I was 'turned' to their musical charms by a long road journey with an older woman. (She was a huge fan and played them non-stop.)

Fred
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Ha!

I'll backpedal a little, I've really nothing against Abba, it's just every gay-bar/club I've been to (Heh, I shoulda seen the future when I had my engagement party at Atlantica in Cardiff) they've played Dancing Queen or remixes thereof like it was the national freaking anthem. Nowt wrong with liking them at all obviously, I just got a vibe that they were liked by many because it was "the done thing", not 'cos they were a good band, which they were. Nah me ting, but they were good. Same goes for "I Will Survive", a song that'll have me leaping out of the nearest window in milliseconds flat.

But then, I'm only semi-gay so what do I know? Wink

fredv3b Wrote:What have I done now to get a blessing? ;-)

I have to admit that I have had a liking for ABBA for far longer than I have been out. Not that I have always liked ABBA. I was 'turned' to their musical charms by a long road journey with an older woman. (She was a huge fan and played them non-stop.)

Fred