Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay mannerisms
sweetlad2010 Wrote:Well I'm starting to show signs of being effeminate, which I didnt think are me but I like the feeling it gives me when I let my self act in that way.

I find it hard to explain sorry...

joseph Wrote:what you mean marshalnder
Sorry, boys, I thought the rollyeyes smiley said it for me Wink

princealbertofb Wrote:Maybe because they can and they don't feel diminished by showing them? Maybe also because when they were younger, they assimilated female traits more (which in turn could be because of the absence of a strong father figure, or because of an abusive/ brutal father figure that we didn't want to imitate). I think this was explained in the book I'm reading at the moment (The Velvet Rage) but I can't remember the argument behind it.

I tick all the boxes there alberto lol...

Seems I should order that book.....

Maybe thats why people find it hard with me because one minute I'm all manlly then the next I'm being effeminate....

sweetlad2010 Wrote:But why do gay guys show feminine trates?

It's a gift!

marshlander Wrote:Sorry, boys, I thought the rollyeyes smiley said it for me Wink

lol WinkRoflmao

It always baffles me when people, gay and straight alike, automatically associate being gay with being effeminate. I don't think there's any such thing whatsoever as "gay mannerisms". Sure, there are camp and effeminate mannerisms, but there are straight men who act like that just as much as there are gay men who are butch and macho. It's like the idea that all gay men must, by their very nature, like interior design and Barbra Streisand, and the equally ridiculous idea that all straight men must, by their very nature, like beer and football. What to make of a gay man who supports Chelsea with a penchant for musicals who calls his friends 'mate' and quite likes soft furnishings? (That's not me, by the way - I'm a gay man with a passing interest in football who doesn't really like musicals much, calls his friends 'mate' and lives in a mess).

If you're effeminate, whatever that might actually mean, it means you're effeminate. If you're camp it means you're camp. It does not mean that you're gay, any more than being gay means you're camp and effeminate.

Anyway, ramble, ramble, bit pissed, ramble...

It's true... Lontok11, there are men out there who act in quite feminine ways and who aren't gay, as well as there are gays who are 'straight-acting', although that again is a speech cliché, and who have a taste for football and beer... It really takes all sorts. I guess this is very much, also, the nurture part of what make us us. Since most of these likes and dislikes came from things we were exposed to in our lives, early childhood, childhood, adolescence etc... However, having been exposed to doesn't necessarily mean we adopt it... I was exposed to skiing quite consistently as a child and I've grown averse to it. Similarly, I was also exposed to cooking and that's an activity I really thrive in. Does it mean I mince, Wink ?

The nature/nurture argument is endlessly fascinating. Interestingly (well, at least to me), my older brother and I are both gay (our younger brother is straight). We have the same parents, had the same upbringing, lived in the same houses, shared the same toys, played with the same relatives, and yet have turned out very different to one another. He's camp, for example, I'm not. He's into antiques and likes to have his home beautifully furnished, with curtains he makes himself. Nothing matches in my room in the shared house where I live and I have posters on the wall that I made myself. He likes listening to Barbra Streisand and Lady Gaga. For me, it's Arctic Monkeys or David Bowie. He has almost exclusively gay friends, mine are almost all straight. He has almost never been single, and in fact is now married. I've almost never been in a relationship, and look set to be a bachelor for the rest of my life. Of course, there are some things we have in common, but nature seems to be the dominant force in both our personalities.

I agree with both PA and lontok11, comments.

I have to say outwouldy I'm straight acting, I'm into most things straight guys are into like cars, drinking ales, talking rubish with my mates (when I have any about lol).

I feel in side the I'm have a very feminine out look on life.

hmmmmm maybe there is more to this than just gay mannerisms?

There is no such thing as gay mannerisms what they are is been comfortable with one self and not having to put on the MAN act and and we conclude from that the person is acting in a camp way. That's of course different from camping it up which some of us do in the company of other gay people
Cheerleader2Cheerleader2Cheerleader2

lontok11 Wrote:The nature/nurture argument is endlessly fascinating. Interestingly (well, at least to me), my older brother and I are both gay (our younger brother is straight).

I find it quite fascinating myself, though it can be a never ending debate.
I read somewhere that younger siblings are more likely to be gay due to something that happens in the womb. I guess that would come more under nuture than nature.

That is, if you beleive that stuff.