Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Name of Our Community, and the flag
(06-07-2020, 02:22 PM)CellarDweller Wrote: I'm really enjoying seeing everyone's posts and opinions.  Keep them coming!

(06-07-2020, 06:15 AM)Emiliano Wrote: It threw me off a little with the proposal that gay men should adopt a separate flag from this universal "queer" identity, and that this gay flag should incorporate symbolism to commemorate gay men murdered and persecuted during the holocaust. I thought unity was the goal? Why would gay men then need a separate flag, and especially a separate flag to represent gay men that had symbolism from the holocaust? How is that inclusive, but additional letters or colors in the flag at the same be considered divisive?

Hello @"Emiliano",  perhaps I didn't explain that part properly.  Here is what I was thinking.

Each group in the LGBT+ community has their own flag, all of them see to involve vertical stripes in various colors.  Gay men have the rainbow stripe flag.  My proposal was that the current rainbow stripe flag would now represent the whole "Queer" community.  However, each group would still have their own flag.  If that were put into place, gay men would need a new flag, as the current rainbow one would be representing everyone in the LGBT+ group.  That is why I suggested the new flag.

Ah ok, I got you. I guess I always saw the rainbow flag as representing more than just gay men, or even the term "gay" as being sort of an umbrella term vs something like "homosexual" which is something i'd never confuse for being also representational of trans, non binary, asexual, or anything else. But i'm cis, gay, male, so I'm seeing it from my perspective.

Hi all, Flags, symbols, colors (like in gangs), what I would like to see in my lifetime, which is getting shorter. I have friends both gay les bi trans etc, I also have "straight friends" all over the world. So, the people of the world coming together under one, choose from above, united in the betterment of all people to move the world forward into a place where we all work together as people of the world, just my thoughts, James
[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRz-Six7p24KDjrx1F_V...A&usqp=CAU]
[-] The following 1 member Likes James's post:
  •