Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oh Father....
This is good info Spotysocks and should continue to be on the forefront, hope everything is going well, greetings, Jim
[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRz-Six7p24KDjrx1F_V...A&usqp=CAU]

My relationship with my father was OK but not fantastic. On reflection I think he didn’t know what to do. When he was in a good mood, which was fairly often, we got on well but didn’t talk about the important things. I knew his opinions and he had lots of prejudices. He also had quite a few insecurities. When he died, however, I felt a great sense of loss and this surprised me. I wanted to ring him up and it took years for me to accept that we would never talk again. He was my Dad, after all, and in our way we loved one another. But times were different then. I have had my own kids and made sure our relationship was very different. If my Dad were alive today, I would write him a letter and say to him lots of the things we never discussed but in a non-confrontational way. Possibly that would be enough. I cannot imagine I would ever have changed his prejudices unfortunately. But I think you should not give up on your Dad altogether, Spotysocks. The day will come when it is too late to talk.

I am pretty sure that my dad wouldnt give a crap if i was here today gone tommorow. he is sooo rapped up in my older brother and has been since i can remember. so i try not to interfere .

No matter what your father loves you and some parents tend to be more difficult on their children. Your father may not even be aware that he is having a negative affect on you. Sometimes being honest, no matter the consequences, is the best approach. If his comments or behaviors are hurting you, you should tell him.