Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay people also want to be parents
Ok....wasn't gonna post, but can't help myself....
Know what is a "Red Flag" to me? Your a 32 year old gay man with access to the Internet asking how you can have a baby on a forum. GOOGLE.

However, if you are interested in surrogacy, you have quite a few options if your pockets are deep enough. Here in the US, there are lots of surrogacy programs available with really high success rates. They cost approximately $90,000 to $120,000.
On the other end of the spectrum, you can always try Mexico, as surrogacy is legal in two territories there, costing about $45,000.
Until late 2012 India had a nice surrogacy program that averaged $35,000 or so, but it is now only avaloable to married hetros.
Until last month Thiland was the best option at approximately $40,000, considering the excellent medical facilities there, but all of that was ruined by an Australian couple who had twins. One of the twins was born with Downs Syndrome and they took the healthy twin and left the one with DS with the surrogate, ruining things for everyone.

Living in NY, you can always adopt through the Foster Care Program, but having been a foster care provider, I cannot stress enough how unlikely it is that you will be able to adopt a baby unless you agree to foster a sibling group. Furthermore, becoming a foster parent isn't the easiest thing in the world. You have to be certified, which means passing more classes than it takes to become a Nursing Aid.

There is also the option of a private adoption, which here in the US runs anywhere from $50,000 to $90,000.

So, like I said, my biggest "Red Flag" is that your 32 years old and say you have always wanted children but you do not seem to have done the least bit of research.

Good luck,
~Beaux

P.S. You should also keep in mind that the current projected cost of raising a child in the U.S. If your child were born today, $245,000.

thank you for the inf. Beaux. I cannot say that i haven't done the search before, I even moved to NY, because I found out that we have more possibilities here. But still, maybe here are some people which also had this experience and whose advice may help me? I'm new on the way to parenting, there are lots of things I don't know yet

Adam Wrote:We want just to know how it feels to bring up a child. And I think we deserve it.

Hi Adam, I don't mean this to sound negative, but what do you do if you don't like how it feels when you get a child?

I was also thrown by the "normal family" comment. I don't care if straight people think I'm not "just like them" ... cause I'm not!

It is also patently untrue that "everybody" longs to have children to feel complete. On our second date my BF asked me, hesitatingly, "do you want... kids?"

My reply was an adamant "NO!" and I think if it had been anything other, there would not have been a third date, as we're on the same page on this. We have 8 nieces and nephews (#9 on the way, God help us) and two young adult cousins, which is plenty. We're glad to see them, and we're glad to go home!

But, living in New York, same-gender couples with children are a dime a dozen. If you really believe you are meant to be parents it should not be a big deal.

Adam Wrote:Not everybody is ready for it. If you are not ready - then ou shouldn't have kids.

i am aware of that. i have no intention of having any of those creepy aliens. that was the point of my post.

Darius Wrote:Hi Adam, I don't mean this to sound negative, but what do you do if you don't like how it feels when you get a child?
I would like it! I know what it means! I have a niece. Her name is Valery. She is 11 now. I spend with her as much time as possible since she was born. I understand that being an uncle and being a dad is not the same. But I know how to behave with children and I like it! But anyway Valery is not my daughter. And I want to know how it feels to be a father!

ShiftyNJ Wrote:I was also thrown by the "normal family" comment. I don't care if straight people think I'm not "just like them" ... cause I'm not!

It is also patently untrue that "everybody" longs to have children to feel complete. On our second date my BF asked me, hesitatingly, "do you want... kids?"

My reply was an adamant "NO!" and I think if it had been anything other, there would not have been a third date, as we're on the same page on this. We have 8 nieces and nephews (#9 on the way, God help us) and two young adult cousins, which is plenty. We're glad to see them, and we're glad to go home!

But, living in New York, same-gender couples with children are a dime a dozen. If you really believe you are meant to be parents it should not be a big deal.
Everybody decides for himself whether he wants kids or not. As for me and my partner, we have already decided for ourselves that we do want kids. Yes, now we're in NY, where it is not so hard to become a parent. I see it in every comment here. But the reason I came here is not to prove that I'm ready for parenting and not to agree with you that NY is a comfortable place of living for us))))))))) The reason I'm here is looking for some advice from people who went through the same, because I'm only at the beginning of my way

meridannight Wrote:i am aware of that. i have no intention of having any of those creepy aliens. that was the point of my post.
Well, it is your opinion, I understand and respect it, even if my opinion is different

Use surrogacy ...it is available in the special clinics which work with gay couples. But it will cost you a lot of money. if you can afford it, you are welcome to start completing your family. Are you married couple?

Adam Wrote:a cat and a child cannot be compared, I think.

You think so? Sad