Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay people in science
When I did my microbiology degree, in my year there were 5 of us, counting myself, three lesbians and two gay guys, out of a group of about 80ish. I didn't mingle much with the lower years though, so there were probably more of us that I just wasn't aware of, I knew some in other science programs too.

Doing my arts degree, there are 6 of us that I know of in a program of around 100ish students: 3 gay guys and 3 lesbians.

I think it would depend on the program in the sciences, career wise, studies suggest gay men favour female dominated fields slightly more than men. So, if we extended that to academia, we might suspect that gay men favour professional schools (medicine and law) over the basic sciences and engineering.

Although, there are a number of gay people with science and engineering backgrounds on this site alone, so they're definitely out there.

(Edit: Although, my current university does have an institute for sexuality and gender studies that is just swimming in gays)

Oh well. Politics.

That is the only subject (with history - the imprint of politics back to time) which I have always loathed from the bottom of my heart.

Reading your thoughts just makes me realise how true it is: politics destroys everything. It is the cause of wars and it tends to mislead people all the time. Maybe that is why I have always been keen on pure sciences.

On the other hand I am pleased to read your experiences, that is to say, there are a fair number of gay fellows in science. Don't wan't to be alone.

@ Bowyn Aerrow

Thanks for the reading, seems like an interesting one, indeed!!

I've saved it for later, I have to study now.

Unfortunately it is not only politics that corrupt the sciences, throw religion in there then you must believe the earth is a lot younger than what geological sciences are telling us...that's just one example of religion 'proving' that science is a fallicy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Turing

alan t

My company, which is in the science field, has a good a LGB club, and even is in the parades..

rjay Wrote:My company, which is in the science field, has a good a LGB club, and even is in the parades..

That is awesome.

I seem to find a lot of my gay friends in the banking industry and IT industry.

But looking back i realized that I only knew of two gay guys and 0 lesbians in a college of 800 people. (200 per year group). hmmm...