Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay pride
I might spark some controversy here and some may hate me for saying this. However as this is the debate section and we are entitled to freedom of speech Im going to say it.

I personally think that gay pride should be stopped, I dont see the point in this we do have a lot more than what we used to have and we have the respect by the vast majority of people (as at the end of the day were all just human). I just dont see the point in it and I think its over dramatic and you could argue its pollitical corectness gone mad, what next straight pride? Now I know its to get equal rights and all that but in the main we do and there aint much homophobia around nowadays. Whats your thoughts on the subject? Confusedmile: Just for the record im 100% gay but Im straight acting and talking and I just dont buy into this.

Well, we have had this debate before, but not all of us live in big cities in the UK.

Sorry about that, being new I obviously didn't know about this, what was the general feeling on the subject if you dont mind me asking?

kyle1 Wrote:I might spark some controversy here and some may hate me for saying this. However as this is the debate section and we are entitled to freedom of speech Im going to say it.

I personally think that gay pride should be stopped, I dont see the point in this we do have a lot more than what we used to have and we have the respect by the vast majority of people (as at the end of the day were all just human). I just dont see the point in it and I think its over dramatic and you could argue its pollitical corectness gone mad, what next straight pride? Now I know its to get equal rights and all that but in the main we do and there aint much homophobia around nowadays. Whats your thoughts on the subject? Confusedmile: Just for the record im 100% gay but Im straight acting and talking and I just dont buy into this.

I am glad that you feel this way, Kyle, because, as you said it proves that a lot has happened in society. Somehow, however, I'm afraid life is still tough for many in the UK and Ireland and the States and even France where I live. I think we'll be able to do away with Gay Pride when we can be able to be who we are in schools and not get called names or get the evil eye from people who understand nothing about our condition. I'm not saying Gay Pride will further that understanding, but equality has not yet been reached, in my opinion.

princealbertofb Wrote:I am glad that you feel this way, Kyle, because, as you said it proves that a lot has happened in society. Somehow, however, I'm afraid life is still tough for many in the UK and Ireland and the States and even France where I live. I think we'll be able to do away with Gay Pride when we can be able to be who we are in schools and not get called names or get the evil eye from people who understand nothing about our condition. I'm not saying Gay Pride will further that understanding, but equality has not yet been reached, in my opinion.

Ok I could probably agree with that. However maybes if teachers taught the kids at a reasnable age about not only sex education but also sex with the same sex then things may be a lot better. I must admit that had I said anything at school then I would have got a lot of stick so I kept it hidden (which you shouldn't have to do). A lad who I get on well with now who used to give me a bit of stick even admitted that had he known I was gay then he would have really hammered me with it, now though as he has matured he respects it and we get on quite well now. Confusedmile: . I think the schools can make a bigger difference.

It would be wonderful if schools could make more of an issue of it, but unless someone forces the hand of those in charge it won't happen.

This debate was pretty good on the subject

http://gayspeak.com/forum/debates/2330-acceptance.html

Yes, they can and ought to...but it's still a far cry from perfection. I know I'd still rather not disclose my sexuality to my colleagues or my pupils. I feel it's a private matter and none of their business. But I hear and listen to the banter or the name calling and GAY is one of those words that come out as real abuse, I'm afraid.

[COLOR="Purple"]I guess we can quit having gay pride events when one such as PA doesnt have to worry about keeping his private life undisclosed, as he has the right to, and not have anyone wonder "Is he gay or straight?".

Or maybe better said... when gay pride IS as silly as "caucasian male pride day", when one doesnt have to think "Is my best friend gonna accept me when I come out?", "Am I gonna be bashed as a teen when I tell that handsome jock 'I love you!'", when humans will accept the diversity within our world seeing the beauty of it all instead of HATE. Is so much easier to feel love, and healthier too.

Bighug
[/COLOR]

Just a personal observation..

Gay pride events seem to be just as much a demonstration to ourselves as to other people. We seem to be trying to convince ourselves that we are proud as least as much as we trying to convince everybody else that we are deserving of equal rights.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

fredv3b Wrote:Just a personal observation..

Gay pride events seem to be just as much a demonstration to ourselves as to other people. We seem to be trying to convince ourselves that we are proud as least as much as we trying to convince everybody else that we are deserving of equal rights.
That is not an unreasonable analysis. Far more difficult than than coming out to others was coming out to myself in the first place.