Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay rights in YOUR country
That's really quite encouraging though isn't it drocko17 ?

If they're being THAT proactive about bringing in new legislation to protect same-sex relationships, that's really heartwarming :biggrin:.

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

actually gays here are rudely disrespected, we are generally NOT accepted, though our image is sloowly progressing...

Yeah I recall your having said from other posts on the subject elsewhere - I was just meaning isn't it encouraging that in spite of that people are becoming more accepting to the extent that they are beginning to establish a proper framework for you to be able to couple-up and enjoy the same rights and benefits as heterosexuals Confusedmile:.

I'm sorry that things there seem to be so bad for gay guys in other ways ... :frown:.

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

xXx

Ontario, Canada. I feel that sexual minorities here are appropriately given full legal rights. But best of all, I don't think it's the law that protects minorities here as much as the social fabric of Canada itself.

There are a lot of positive examples set by Canada, this is true Confusedmile:.

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

Sadly it seems in Sydney at least we've taken a step back. Homophobic violence is on the increase and police do little to nothing in response, we can't adopt, the new government wants to withdraw IVF for Lesbians and when it comes to gay marriage.... well the new PM has already said "I consider marriage to be a union between a man and a woman".

For some reason there are a few people here who think the new Federal Government are going to be the saviour of the GLBT community, but considering the above I'm not really sure why.

Sometimes I just want to leave...

Well, I'm one who pays a lot of attention to politics (why I don't know). As for the US, it's heading downhill fast.

A few years ago, the US was fairly good in terms of gay rights and such, but as of the election of Bush, things have just gotten worse. The war in Iraq, gay rights plummeting, murder/suicide rate going up... jeez, we've had about five BIG shootings since this guy's been elected! I seriously think we need to impeach Bush and Cheney all together, and get in a President that actually KNOWS WHAT HE'S DOING.

I'm still outraged with the whole Bush/Clinton thing. Clinton (supposedly) had sexual affairs with a woman when he was the governor of Massachusetts (I think), and for that the whole American populace got pissed and impeached him! For the record: Clinton is the first president since Franklin D. Roosevelt to bring this country out of national debt! I think he deserved a LITTLE more respect than that. Whereas, Bush is sending over troops to Iraq to die for a war that is (at this point) usless! We've done all we can, really, and there's not going to be much else we can do for Iraq! Personally, I think we should pull out all together and have the country fix itself, instead of making matters worse by staying in there.

But I'm going off on a rant again, and that I'll save for another topic, the simple fact is: Bush is making America an awful place to live. Land of the Free is starting to sound more like a goal, rather than what this place really is... and to quote my friend: The revised pledge of allegiance!

I pledge allegiance
to the major corperations
of the United States of America.
And to the government,
for whom we serve.
One nation
Condemned by God
Already divided
With liberty and Justice for the rich, straight, white folk.

Sui Wrote:A few years ago, the US was fairly good in terms of gay rights and such, but as of the election of Bush, things have just gotten worse.

Sui - I think maybe you're missing some things .. how exactly were gay rights better a few years ago? If you really look around, they're improving - it's taking a long time but they are improving - at least the country isn't afraid to talk about it anymore. As for any gay bashing you've heard about .. if you pay attention a bit closer you'll see that hate crimes are up in general - not just against gays - and that is mostly because now the legal system is ok with classifying a crime as a hate crime which years ago they were not. The hate is not growing .. it's diminishing .. but now we classify such crimes differently.

GayComputerDude Wrote:Sui - I think maybe you're missing some things .. how exactly were gay rights better a few years ago? If you really look around, they're improving - it's taking a long time but they are improving - at least the country isn't afraid to talk about it anymore. As for any gay bashing you've heard about .. if you pay attention a bit closer you'll see that hate crimes are up in general - not just against gays - and that is mostly because now the legal system is ok with classifying a crime as a hate crime which years ago they were not. The hate is not growing .. it's diminishing .. but now we classify such crimes differently.

Ehh, it's true that the country is more open to talking about them, but the fact remains that until just a year ago, gay marriage was still legal. Places offered benefits for any married couple. Now, people are starting to descriminate more, there's more gay bashing then ever before, because it's all over the media, and everybody knows that a really great way to more or less force a bias on people is to make popular media take a side on the issue. Before Bush was elected, I never EVER heard the term "gay" used to describe something in a derogatory manner. But I dunno, maybe where you live it's better off :tongue: After all, I do live in one of the most right-minded places in Colorado. I don't think there's a single household around here that doesn't house at least two people who are against gays.

Sui Wrote:Ehh, it's true that the country is more open to talking about them, but the fact remains that until just a year ago, gay marriage was still legal. Places offered benefits for any married couple. Now, people are starting to descriminate more, there's more gay bashing then ever before, because it's all over the media, and everybody knows that a really great way to more or less force a bias on people is to make popular media take a side on the issue. Before Bush was elected, I never EVER heard the term "gay" used to describe something in a derogatory manner. But I dunno, maybe where you live it's better off :tongue: After all, I do live in one of the most right-minded places in Colorado. I don't think there's a single household around here that doesn't house at least two people who are against gays.

Ahh - I forgot you live in Colorado!!! Sorry!!! Colorado has been a BIG battleground so I'm sure it's rough out there -- but the few times I've been there over the past couple years (Denver) I never had a problem or seen anything offensive .. but then I might not have been looking either - it's different when you live there ... I think you'll find most of the country except the "Bible Belt" and the "Heartland" aren't really paying attention anymore - they don't care if someone is gay/bi - they just want to be left alone to do their thing and leave everyone else alone to do their own thing. It's definitely improving but I know you haven't had it so great in Colorado. But those of us in New York will pull you through at some point. Even here I hear comments etc once in a while but first off I am never scared by it .. and when I'm in the right mind about it I'll confront them .. and once you do they usually say they didn't mean anything by it .. they were just joking like everyone does .. which sorry .. but have to say .. that's kind of acceptable .. we all do it too. As for the government .. it's coming around but there is so much religious pressure on both sides it's going to be a while longer. Just hang in there!