Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay stuff again
I know some of you aren't the remotest bit interested in why some people are gay and others not. Pink News has run these two articles over the past couple of days, which I found iinteresting:
Gay by nature: Part one - from Pink News - all the latest gay news from the gay community - Pink News
Gay by nature: Part two - from Pink News - all the latest gay news from the gay community - Pink News

I've read them too. To be honest I didn't like them, they skipped so quickly through different bits of science with minimal explanation or discussion. As an example.

Quote:"The whole nature-nurture debate is entirely pointless,” he says. “Sexual orientation is not a choice because humans come in two types: one with a vagina, the other with a penis, so sexual orientation is entirely biological.
Dr Rahman is clearly a learned and intelligent scientist, however from the article I really could not understand what he meant by that.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

I completely understand and have sympathy with your point. I found the articles to be rather lightweight too and, to be honest, they do reflect PN's general quality of journalism and editorial policy. However often I may find their articles are too light, emotive, out of date or missing links to source material they do flag up some issues for me. I put the links up to alert people to the work. To try and be honest as well as fair, I've no idea what the constraints of running Pink News might be. I would not be surprised to discover it is an organisation like the old UK Gay.com that tried to operate a comprehensive service on one or two part-time staff and a few volunteers. Does anyone know how it operates?

I agree with your comments about Pink News generally. As far as I can tell they mostly re-write AP, AF and Reuters stories. I much prefer UK Gay News which simply gives links to gay related stories from genuine news sites. However UK Gay News does not have an RSS feed, which is very annoying, hence the fact I maintain my RSS subscription to Pink News.
Fred

Thanks for the link.

I thought this might be of interest to this argument.

A recent report of new research into gay animals suggests it is more widespread then previously thought.

Same-sex behaviour is a nearly universal phenomenon in the animal kingdom, common across species, from worms to frogs to birds, concludes a new review of existing research.

"It's clear that same-sex sexual behaviour extends far beyond the well-known examples that dominate both the scientific and popular literature: for example, bonobos, dolphins, penguins and fruit flies," said Nathan Bailey, the first author of the review paper and a postdoctoral researcher in the Department of Biology at UC Riverside.

The UCR Academic Senate funded the one-year study.

Full article here: [url=http://gayspeak.com/forum/redirector.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.medicalnewstoday.com%2Farticles%2F154354.php][/url]http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/154354.php - Article Date: 20 Jun 2009 - 1:00 PDT

This should throw up some interesting arguments, if correct then being gay is not through choice but genetic to each person or animal. (hope I have used the right phrase?)

I once read that 'gay male' sex was actually more commonly observed among giraffes than heterosexual sex. I'd love it to be actually true.
Fred

fredv3b Wrote:I once read that 'gay male' sex was actually more commonly observed among giraffes than heterosexual sex. I'd love it to be actually true.
Male giraffes "necking" look a bit vicious to me Scared