Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ok Mac Fanboys...Lay It On Me!
Ok so some of you might be aware that I have a drone, specifically a DJI Phantom 3. Initially I bought a cheaper Samsung Tab A tablet and works...ok at best, not all that fast and very noticable when flying the drone using the DJI Go App. To make matters worse if I try doing a live feed on Facebook the audio is choppy and doesn't sync with the video, used to not be a problem until an app update. However, it seems everyone has problems with android devices and the DJI Go app. While it might be speculation, I suspect it has a lot to do with the wide array of hardware on android, low-end devices, high-end devices, bloatware, etc... I've even had issues getting the remote control to connect to the tablet and well so have others (although I did find a workaround for that problem). Bottom line is seems performance of the Tab A isn't up to snuff, mind you this isn't the "new" Tab A with the octa-core, this is the cheap one for about $150 at Wal-Mart....

So... iOS, never owned an apple product (wait...I lied, I had an iPod for a while years ago and gave it to a friend). I'm looking at the iPad mini's, seems to be reasonable and seems to score well among other DJI drone pilots.

Seems they have the iPad Air 2, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 2 all for about the same price... seems the only major differences between the Air 2 and the mini 4 is that the Air has the A8X CPU which from the bit of research I've done is that the A8X is a bit faster than the regular A8. Does seem this is at least one area where Apple actually is competitive, because their MacBooks and so on just don't warrant the price...

So I know there are plenty of people with iPhone and iPads, tell me your recommendations. I really don't need anything larger than 8 inches but 9.7/10" will work fine for what I have. Would the iPad Air 2 be the better choice having the A8X and larger screen over the iPad mini 4 which sports an 8" screen?
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

I tend to stick with Android, but I have bought an iPad Mini 2 for my mum. Works a treat, but the Air 2 should run much better.

The Mini 4 should be quite a bit cheaper than the Air 2, as really, its smaller size is the only other thing it has over the Air 2.

So I'd recommend the iPad Air 2 unless it's size or price is a concern.
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

Genersis Wrote:I tend to stick with Android, but I have bought an iPad Mini 2 for my mum. Works a treat, but the Air 2 should run much better.

The Mini 4 should be quite a bit cheaper than the Air 2, as really, its smaller size is the only other thing it has over the Air 2.

So I'd recommend the iPad Air 2 unless it's size or price is a concern.

I usually do as well but if the developers at DJI are putting more effort on the iOS platform and everyone just has problems with android, I mean their "approved" device list for android is outdated and most of them are smartphones. Their crashes upon opening on my S7. I thought well if I *could* get the DJI go to work on my S7 I might just get the HDMI module for the controller and a TV to tote around and work it like that but...that's a lot more stuff to haul around and would be spending more money...I also like to do Facebook Live time to time....

Do you think the Air 2 has an edge on performance over the mini 4? Shows the Air 2 having the A8X but the air has a "2nd gen" A8, not sure which generation the Air 2 sports. Screen size is less of a concern, just don't want to use my phone because 5" is too small...and the app crashes immediately anyway. Not something I want to get stuck in is having the drone out 1.5 miles and *poof* app crashed and having to try relaunching or depending on the return to home function...
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

If you're noth bothered by the screen not being laminated to the LCD and missing the coating that helps against reflection, the new iPad could be an option also and it's not very much above the mini 4 in price (talking from a UK perspective here). It has the A9 chip also so should be supported for longer by Apple.

CorsacReborn Wrote:If you're noth bothered by the screen not being laminated to the LCD and missing the coating that helps against reflection, the new iPad could be an option also and it's not very much above the mini 4 in price (talking from a UK perspective here). It has the A9 chip also so should be supported for longer by Apple.

These are all true. I will say that I am for the most part will be using it only to fly the drone.

If only the iPad Pro were cheaper...

I am going with the iPad Air 2... So that should suit me for quite some time and I doubt that Apple is going to drop support for those for a while, I'm sure they're selling a lot of the mini 4's and Air 2's since the price point isn't completely ridiculous.
Check out my stuff!