Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gays advised not to shop at Wal-Mart
[img2=left]http://www.gayspeak.com/forum/images/news/walmart.jpg[/img2]Wal-Mart, the biggest private employer in the US has been given a "do not buy" rating in a new gay consumer guide.

Human Rights Campaign, the largest gay rights group in America, made its announcement, in time for the festive season, due to the company's refusal to give domestic partner benefits to gay and lesbian workers.

The 2008 Corporate Quality index rated Wal-Mart, along with other retail giants including Toys R Us and Auto Zone, in the red category, advising gays and their supporters to shop elsewhere.

It was a fall of 25 points to 40 from last years guide.

Wal-Mart spokesman David Tovar told USA Today: "We're proud of our diversity initiatives and we think we are taking the right steps."

He would not "speculate" on whether the rating would hurt holiday sales.

It is not the first time Wal-Mart has landed itself in hot water around LGBT issues.

Earlier this year it withdrew its membership of the National Lesbian and Gay Chamber of Commerce citing a new policy not to support "contraversial" issues.

Paul Blank, Campaign Director of WakeUpWalMart.com, an action group protesting about what they see as Wal-Mart's erosion of American worker's rights, said at the time:

"Wal-Mart should be ashamed that it would define its support for the GLBT community as "highly controversial."

"While it ignores its explicit support for right-wing George Bush-style Republicans whose policies have cost America middle class jobs, worsened our health care system, helped poison our environment, and blindly support failed strategies in Iraq."

Last year the Corporate Quality index was downloaded from HRC's website more than a quarter of a million times.
Note: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant free message. However, I do concede, a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Not so long ago I remember Home Depot being on the RED list and they've made it to GREEN - it does make a difference!

didn't know there was a list, would be intrsted in finding out more.

Kinda curious when all this really started... I mean the whole war against gays as a more publicized "civil war" if you will. It's amazing how much it's progressed just during these presidential terms of George W Bush, and how ridiculous it's starting to become! Thank god he's out of office soon. Hopefully the US will get someone in office who knows what they're doing and can fix all the damage that has been done by this poorly run regime.

Walmart: open buttocks, remove head. Gays are the same as everyone else, as such, they deserve the same rights and respect as any other human being. This is starting to look and smell a lot like another straight, white, Christian supremacy movement to me.

Tbh Ive not noticed antigay stores in the UK... :eek:
[COLOR="Purple"]As I grow to understand less and less,
I learn to love it more and more.
[/COLOR]

saltybeanz Wrote:Tbh Ive not noticed antigay stores in the UK... :eek:

just remember that ASDA is now part of Walmart!