Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ged
Did anyone ever take and pass the GED test? When I found out I would have to go back to that horrible high school I used to attend for exams, I dropped out of school. So I have my first GED test tomorrow. How is it?

What's a GED test?
An eye for an eye

Dan1980 Wrote:What's a GED test?

It's a test offered in the US to provide people an outlet to get a high school diploma (General Education DIploma) after having dropped out of school.

I'm far from an expert on the education system in America, but I think there are GED prep courses available. Taking classes with adults a couple hours a week is not the same as high school, and you might consider it if you are worried about preparing for the test on your own.

I know that here in the US, if you drop out of high school, it is an alternative test you can take that can give you an equal to a High School diploma.

I found it easy, and I think a lot of it was multiple choice. It included math, grammar, and reading comprehension. There was also one essay, and I was lucky I took a practice exam first or I would've messed up. In the practice exam I was asked for an opinion on whether something was good or bad and I gave both the pros & cons and was marked down for not picking a side to stick with.

And I do highly recommend the practice exam because that will let you know how "ready" you are for it. That said, I did find it a chore having to pass it with flying colors twice (OTOH, I did much better on the essay part the 2nd time around).

I made that mistake when I was nearly 17. I took the G.E.D. to leave school earlier than graduation. I have paid for that with 'The look' people give you. Potential new bosses will throw your resume away and pick a person who graduated more often than not. They don't even bother to do the simple math to calculate you took the GED early to get out of school. They don't ask either.

If there is any way you can complete high school and get the diploma that way, do it. The self righteous will crucify you, turn you down for jobs and think less of you, regardless if you worked hard at age 16 to earn it to get out of school to survive or not.

As for the test itself... As far as I can remember it was a cake walk and I didn't really have to do all the studying I did to pass. I got 3.9 on it and only didn't get 4.0 simply because my language skills were skewed by an English English Tutor who was hired to deal with my speech impediment and who took great pains to confuse me on property spelling. Apparently Centre is not Center...

It was easy way back in 1982,and they have greatly reduced the test since those days.

Got to your local library, I believe one can check out the GED study book, and they may actually print up the 'example test' from the book for you.

Take the example test before studying to see how you score and in which area. You might discover that maths is the only thing you need to study up on, or just science, or English...

I flunked the math, but I passed everything else that was on there.